2 piece or 3 piece ……that is the question

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing 2 piece or 3 piece ……that is the question

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Kagger TNB 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

TF_carpcruncher
    Participant

When looking at a 12 ft rod either float or feeder what do you prefer….. 2 or 3 piece. Do you feel it makes any difference in the performance of the rod between the two choices I have given Are u just happy with a 2 piece as making it as a ready made rod is easier?

TF_Cutnut

Sounds like some market research for greys….I prefer to use a setup that will easily transport in a standard ready bag, 6ft plus pieces don’t suit the majority of bags.

TF_carpcruncher
    Participant

@cutnut wrote:

Sounds like some market research for greys….I prefer to use a setup that will easily transport in a standard ready bag, 6ft plus pieces don’t suit the majority of bags.

Not really pete ….. Just a simple question of opinion ……

TF_JohnH

For 12 foot my preference would be 3 piece. If you look at the top end rods they seem to favour a short butt section with two longer sections. Key for me is the action from the middle section as I think too stlff a rod here is what leads to hook pulls when you have the fish under the rod end preparing to net it. This places the greatest strain on the hook hold.
    I have the Preston feeder rods, and the tournament bomb rod which both have short butt sections, a bit of a bugger for transporting in a ready rod sleeve though.
    I also have the Shimano aerocast light bomb rod which is 3 equal sections but a very light responsive rod so suffer few problems losing fish on it close in.
    I have fished next to a number of anglers who lose fish close in due to the lack of middle action on their rods, just my opinion of course.
    In 11 foot rods 2 piece seem ok IF the rod has a soft action.

TF_Paddy

It also depends what your fishing for?
    For commies and lakes generally all my waggler and feeder rods are 3 piece, but for river work and Barble in particular, 2 piece rods.
    15′ and 17′ rods for the stick are generally 3 piece and i have a couple of 20’s which are 4 piece.
    Size of fish is a big factor i find, along with species.

I just buy the best Daiwa for the job and take it as it comes…

would much prefer 2 piece or even ‘normal’ 3 piece,

both my top end Daiwa’s & Shimano feeder rods unfold at the end of the butt handle with a long middle section and are a real pain to put in ready rod holdalls – despite the latter having been around as long as all my current models.

I hear the new tourney rods at last break down into normal sections at long last – about time.

In all seriousness…

Aren’t there more important factors to consider?

Cost?

Feel/action?

Brand Loyalty?

I’ve never bought a rod and thought about how many sections it came in….

TF_Paddy

Feel/Action are directly linked to the amount of sections, so why would’nt you?
    Brand Loyalty – I found that a strange one to be honest – I would not buy a rod out of loyalty if it was not up to the job, or as you say, Costs can be applied (cheaper) and you can get what you want!
    The answer = Drennan! 🙂

If i am happy with the rod,how it casts,plays fish without being either as stiff as a broom handle,or as floppy as a tank aerial etc,then wether it is 2 or 3 piece construction is never a problem i worry about.

well – whether how quickly i can set up feeder/waggler rods equally efficiency in my book.

I also think – unlike poleswhere cost/materials is a massive noticeable instant factor
    – some rods are well overpriced comparatively in return for often modest improvements – as for brand loyalty pmsl – they’re not paying me and brand cost snobbery may excite the owner but surely not impress others- the only factor in that regard is UK made as a plus.

I also think technological improvements – are a bit like those in the old hifi and gadget function decade – ie unless you’re seriously into sound quality and a techie – then the difference to the layman is minimal. I know elimination of torque – costs as do guides, what you are paying for is often relative weight and slimness of blank.

I think therefore, that perhaps only actual industry rod designers (i’m lucky to have the acquaintance of a sea angling rod designer from the west country to help explain things that i freely don’t understand ).
    Consequently I would presume that the really top feeder and wag anglers would notice and genuinely appreciate such performance improvements.

Playing action does not depend on cost alone.
    Though i would actually pay extra for long lasting durable drennan tips over daiwa tips that in my heavy handed use seem to last barely a month. lol.
    By comparison i’ve got drennan tips still going strong well over ten years old – fortunately they fit daiwa rods 🙂

Personally, i still prefer some unfashionable older rods that do the job as well, imo, as some of my fancier top of the range do and often better despite being noticeably heavier and bulkier- and emphasizing this is therefore only my my limited subjective opinion.
    Given -setting up in the very limited time before a match – yes how quick i can assemble – range and clip up whilst also setting up various pole rigs on mostly non-commercial waters means i’ll opt for quickness any day.

@paddy wrote:

Feel/Action are directly linked to the amount of sections, so why would’nt you?
    Brand Loyalty – I found that a strange one to be honest – I would not buy a rod out of loyalty if it was not up to the job, or as you say, Costs can be applied (cheaper) and you can get what you want!
    The answer = Drennan! 🙂

Brand Loyalty…

‘I’m not buying anything from that company again after…..’

or

‘What superb service when I had that problem. I’ll buy from them again’

Brand definately comes into it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.