Alternative to Qm1’s

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Alternative to Qm1’s

This topic contains 41 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Gavin 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

TF_Lambhead1

Anybody suggest a good alternative hook for banding 6mm pellets in a size 16 for method feeder fishing?

TF_orexina

there isn;t one.

MrFoxman

I believe they are called QM1’s 😉 There’s nothing better for the job.

What is the problem with the QM1 hooks mate.?

TF_baitchef
    Participant

PR36’s are my favourite, but I havnt used the QM1’s.

TF_Lambhead1

No problem with them apart from the fact that 30 hooks cost just under a tenner,cant help but think they catch more anglers than fish!

TF_eels

Why would you want to use anything else??? Are you feed up of catching??? 😀

TF_eels

Unless you use a branch with a bit of line tied to the end why would you be bothered about spending 30 pence on a hook if it’s the best one for the job??? :confused:

TF_Lambhead1

Why pay 30 pence for a hook when their could be a suitable alternative for cheaper?just because you have a ‘designer’ hook on the end of your line it doesn’t automatically make you a better angler,the likes of scothorne and des shipp dont use guru products and dont do too bad do they?

Less money spent on fishing and more towards a pint at the end of the day makes perfect sense to me!

TF_Darlo-toe

never tried the QM1`s, but the fox series 2 have never let me down when bagging at woodlands, kept there point & not strightend out

TF_bagging machine
    Participant

Drennan carp feeder
    Tubertini 861
    PR36
    Fox match carp
    IMO all the above are good hooks you will loose fish on all hooks even QM1s but when they are in they take some getting out.

TF_orexina

If you use it once it costs 30p

If you use it twice it costs 15p

If you use it 3 times etc, etc, etc.

TF_Gavin

Preston have a pattern called the PR-C1 that’s the same shape as the Qm1, but it’s only available ready tied in packets of eight. May be worth enquiring if they’re going to release the hook on it’s own?

To be fair, if you only use on Qm1 a session, it’s not really expensive, and at least you won’t be changing the hook after every fish like many carpers do!

QM1 hooks=

Unique shape and the best hooking properties of any hook on the market.

Oversized eye which makes tying a knotless know with decent diameter line easier

PTFE coated

super sharp beaked point

Having used them since its release I have had no problems with the points going and am happy to reuse them more than once.

One of the best hooks on the market for fishing feeder or lead and worth every penny.

Its funny really that pleasure/match anglers moan about the price of everything but Carp anglers are happy to pay £4-£5 for a pack of 10 hooks with no moaning why?

Because they won’t scrimp on the important items of tackle.

Spending £3 on a pack of top quality hooks isn’t going to stop you paying your mortgage so I personally wouldn’t worry about it. 😀 😀

30p for a hook that cost probably a penny or even a fraction of a penny to make :rolleyes:
    Probably it cost more to advertise them or to give to sponsored anglers to promote.
    :rolleyes: 😉 :p

I don’t know how much they cost to make but all I know is the QM1 hooks are superb.

TF_gazer

maybe im just a sheep but i am mainly a club/pleasure angler but have tried most of the hooks mentioned and always come back to the qm1 as i definatly lose less fish

@tractorboy wrote:

I don’t know how much they cost to make but all I know is the QM1 hooks are superb.

Nice answer Andy 😮
    I was expecting to have the rod off the rest.. :p 🙁 :p 🙂

TF_scarf

Have a look at the Drennan Power Hair Riggers. Nice wide gape, short shank and big eye. not QM1s but not far off and much cheaper.

@tractorboy wrote:

QM1 hooks=

Oversized eye which makes tying a knotless know with decent diameter line easier

PTFE coated

super sharp beaked point

Having used them since its release I have had no problems with the points going and am happy to reuse them more than once.

One of the best hooks on the market for fishing feeder or lead and worth every penny.

Its funny really that pleasure/match anglers moan about the price of everything but Carp anglers are happy to pay £4-£5 for a pack of 10 hooks with no moaning why?

Spending £3 on a pack of top quality hooks isn’t going to stop you paying your mortgage so I personally wouldn’t worry about it. 😀 😀

So why do the Guru Pellet Waggler hooks cost a lot less? :confused:

I’m happy with Fox series 2 by the way! 🙂

TF_mart4666

@nathanwatson wrote:

@tractorboy wrote:

QM1 hooks=

PTFE coated

super sharp beaked point

So why do the Guru Pellet Waggler hooks cost a lot less? :confused:

I’m happy with Fox series 2 by the way! 🙂

agree with nathan , why do QM1s cost 2 and a half times more than there other hooks
    i do use them and like them, and yes tractorboy , £3 AINT GONNA STOP ME PAYING THE MORTAGE BUT ITS WRONG TO SAY THAT OF EVERYONE . IN THIS DAY AND AGE I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT LOTS OF ANGLERS NEED TO RATIONALISE THERE SPENDING oops just noticed caps lock knocked on,SORRY i’m not shouting ,just thick and rich LOL 😀

TF_D.W.

To answer one question (although this is only logical thinking and no idea what Korda/Guru have paid), as the QM1 shape is unique, then a pattern would have had to be designed and manufactured for each size of hook which costs money. Don’t forget to add in that there may have been multiple patterns that were rejected before the final one was decided upon. These patterns aren’t cheap to design or manufacture and obviously these costs have to be recouped somewhere along the line. The PW hooks are more of a traditional pattern of hook, so pattern making costs were probably lower.

@tractorboy wrote:

More like that we don’t have much of a choice about it lol No seriously, the hook is one of the most important parts of tackle and the actual item that is attached directly to the fish. It’s like buying a Ferrari & filling it with ASDA petrol and then expecting it to still perform the same (which it won’t due to octane levels and additives that supermarkets add to their fuels). Plus we have to keep your wages at the level that they are Andy 😀 😉

TF_wezzy

@darlo-toe wrote:

never tried the QM1`s, but the fox series 2 have never let me down when bagging at woodlands, kept there point & not strightend out

i second that tony another vote for the fox series 2 abs brill sharp as and could pull a tractor with em and they wont straighten 🙂

@D.W. wrote:

To answer one question (although this is only logical thinking and no idea what Korda/Guru have paid), as the QM1 shape is unique, then a pattern would have had to be designed and manufactured for each size of hook which costs money. Don’t forget to add in that there may have been multiple patterns that were rejected before the final one was decided upon. These patterns aren’t cheap to design or manufacture and obviously these costs have to be recouped somewhere along the line. The PW hooks are more of a traditional pattern of hook, so pattern making costs were probably lower.

@tractorboy wrote:

More like that we don’t have much of a choice about it lol No seriously, the hook is one of the most important parts of tackle and the actual item that is attached directly to the fish. It’s like buying a Ferrari & filling it with ASDA petrol and then expecting it to still perform the same (which it won’t due to octane levels and additives that supermarkets add to their fuels). Plus we have to keep your wages at the level that they are Andy 😀 😉

Right then! Where do I start?

The analogy to supermarket fuel being different: It isn’t as it all comes from the same storage depots. That is merely a widely proven urban myth.

The hooks are a unique pattern? I think not: Sport Circle hooks have been about for a number of years and they are certainly common amongst catch and release, barbless fly patterns.

Maybe the ptfe coating is unique? Well, no as Teflon coated hooks have been around for ages too but coarse anglers would probably be more attracted to the sound of PTFE than Teflon but Teflon is the trade name of PTFE for Dupont, I think.

I haven’t tried the hooks but must assume that they work. Are they worth the money? I can assure you that you aren’t paying for Research and Development if you are buying them and if I was to spend some time looking for either Sport Circle or Barbless Fly Fishing hooks then I am confident that I would find a very similar product but no idea on the price.

If anyone thinks that products like this are being specifically developed for the UK match angler when there are probably less than a dozen hook manufacturers in the world then you must have banged your head recently.

I wonder where Keith Arthur is when you need him? :confused:

TF_eels

The reason i use these hooks is that for ME they dramatically reduce lost fish when fishing the tip. One occasion which proved their worth to me was a match at Boddington , the angler next to me was loosing more than half the fish he hooked, i gave him a QM1 and his catch rate improved massively until he lost his hook length, Boddington fished well that day and i won the match with 343lb using 2 QM1s changing from a 14 to a 12 as i was bagging! .
    60pence well spent !! 😉

TF_bully100
    Participant

I use the QM1 and the the guru pellet waggler hooks on the method both work that well that i can’t decide which is best, so use which ever comes to hand first 🙂

@tractorboy wrote:

QM1 hooks=

PTFE coated

super sharp beaked point

the reason why carp anglers dont bat an eyelid is because they use big sizes size 4’s to size 8’s and the rest thats why 10x’s as much metal to make them and they probably go 2 -3 sessions without catching so get there moneys worth …wont be long before preston or another bring the same out ! would u get the same result from a pr36????let me think!! all those anglers who say they lose less fish then another pattern must be just coincidence very rarely do i lose a fish hair rigged from a standard pattern like a pr36 oh and tried them both by the way maybe its just a confidence thing i keep hearing about!!

Nathan,

QM1 hooks cost more than the pellet waggler hooks because they are different.The pellet wag hooks have a turned out eye and off set point but that is all they have in common with the QM1 hooks. The wire is totally different as is the coating etc. :p

Oh and the Fox series 2 hooks are all discontinued so you won’t be using them much longer.

Use what you like of course its each to their own really.

Most who have tried the QM1 hooks love them and they really are unique, in the match fishing world. Forget sea fishing and fly fishing, this is match/coarse fishing we are talking about.

If £3 is to much for you to pay then don’t pay it.

Guru are

middy km1
    it stays sharper than pr36 by far ill never look back now

TF_craigo

I’ve bought some QM1’s in an 18 – had them for a while and not really had chance to give em a go yet.

Although it seems people lose less fish in general – do you actually hook as many fish in the first place?

I presume the larger sizes are okay but in the 18, the gape looks very narrow and I’m wondering if it may be useful to open the gape slightly with some pliers in order to increase hook ups – perhaps this isnlt neccessary?

Any thoughts

Cheers

@tractorboy wrote:

Nathan,

QM1 hooks cost more than the pellet waggler hooks because they are different.The pellet wag hooks have a turned out eye and off set point but that is all they have in common with the QM1 hooks. The wire is totally different as is the coating etc. :p

Oh and the Fox series 2 hooks are all discontinued so you won’t be using them much longer.

Use what you like of course its each to their own really.

Most who have tried the QM1 hooks love them and they really are unique, in the match fishing world. Forget sea fishing and fly fishing, this is match/coarse fishing we are talking about.

If £3 is to much for you to pay then don’t pay it.

Guru are

Good job I’ve got a few hundred packets of Fox series 2s! 😀

Nathan you dirty dog, get em on ebay and you will make a mint soon when everybody wants the series 2’s. 😀 😀 😀

The 18 QM1 hooks are quite small and ok for single double maggot but I wouldn’t open them up. Go to a size 16.

TF_D.W.

@One Out of the Frame wrote:

@D.W. wrote:

@tractorboy wrote:

Right then! Where do I start?

The analogy to supermarket fuel being different: It isn’t as it all comes from the same storage depots. That is merely a widely proven urban myth.

The hooks are a unique pattern? I think not: Sport Circle hooks have been about for a number of years and they are certainly common amongst catch and release, barbless fly patterns.

Maybe the ptfe coating is unique? Well, no as Teflon coated hooks have been around for ages too but coarse anglers would probably be more attracted to the sound of PTFE than Teflon but Teflon is the trade name of PTFE for Dupont, I think.

I haven’t tried the hooks but must assume that they work. Are they worth the money? I can assure you that you aren’t paying for Research and Development if you are buying them and if I was to spend some time looking for either Sport Circle or Barbless Fly Fishing hooks then I am confident that I would find a very similar product but no idea on the price.

If anyone thinks that products like this are being specifically developed for the UK match angler when there are probably less than a dozen hook manufacturers in the world then you must have banged your head recently.

I wonder where Keith Arthur is when you need him? :confused:

Sorry Mark, but the petrol debate is clear cut. I used to think that there was no difference, but since running tests on two cars (one old & one brand new), I can tell you that if I put £20 of Supermarket fuel in which equates to a few mililitres more than if I put the same amount of standard Shell fuel, I get on average 10MPG LESS than the same monetary amount of Shell fuel. Thats a BIG difference and that has proven itself on both the onboard trip computer and in manual calculations. So if they are the “same”, I would get the same MPG give or take a tiny amount here or there would I not? Nothing wrong with the cars either.

As for the circle hook analogy, the QM1’s are not circle hooks though. The swept bend may make them look like a circle hook, but they are different. Take a look at the point position on circle hooks used in sea & game fishing and you will see that the point is virtually at 90 degrees to the shank, where the QM1’s have a standard beaked point. It may have a similar effect to hooking potential, but they are not the same. Using that analogy you have put is like comparing the old bent hooks of the carp scene from the late 80’s-early 90’s to a rig made up witha piece of shrink tube. One has been proven to cause damage to the fish’s mouth, but the other doesn’t, but they do a very similar job & look identical when the rig is constructed.

TF_Benricho
    Participant

Tractorboy – what size qm1 hook are you using or do you recommend for a 6mm pellet, 8mm pellet 11mm pellet etc or hair rigged meat/corn. I too think the gape seems small but have yet to use them so cant really say on hook ups
    Cheers

Darren: I worked in retail motor sales for three years working for franchisees in Ford, Citroen/Suzuki and Vauxhall. If there was a difference in performance from where you fuel the cars then we would have only been fuelling at the ‘better’ stations to ‘showcase’ the performance of the cars during test drives.

Interesting thread on: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=88615

Draw your own conclusions.

With regards to the hook: I don’t want to get drawn into a debate on what the hook is as I wouldn’t like to start a debate that could have negative consequences to peoples livelihoods but I would suggest that it wouldn’t take much finding from somewhere like this site: http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Fishing_Hook.html

Especially if you have existing contacts in the business.

BTW Check out the wagglers on there before you start throwing money on the same product from the continent! I may very well go into business!

Unfortunately I’m rather busy at present with the new registration coming out but I will be back to this thread when I get a bit more time.

Seatbox anyone?

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/fishingtackle01/product-detailkbexaYJoOXct/China-Fishing-Tackle-Seat-Boxes-SE10028-.html

Could be a couple of hours worth of browsing there tonight I think. 😀

Benricho

Size 16 for 6mm pellet
    size 14 for 8mm
    anything bigger get on the size 12 mate.

OOOtf,

Your alternative to the qm1 hooks is to suggest someone orders 6000 hooks min direct from China?

Oh and the hooks are barbed and only resemble QM1’s slightly because they are a circle design.
    Other than that they are horrible.

Nice one!

Andy: As I said above, I don’t really want to get into a debate over it (mindful of Gareth’s comments regarding just this type of discussion) but I dare say that 6,000 hooks from China wouldn’t cost me £1,800 ( 😮 ) either. Split between even ten members of an angling club and the costs become even more managable.

I haven’t seen your product or used it. However, I’m impressed by the marketting behind it.

Is it three times better than the average hook though, or a cynical attempt to make 30p a hook the new benchmark? Don’t forget that I used to work in car sales where the, “if you can’t afford it… ” close was developed 😉

TF_Lambhead1

Settled on the drennan hair riggers,standard ones for smaller stuff and power ones for the lumps…used the power ones today and was very impressed,I didnt lose a fish oh and i got five packets of each for a tenner,the same of QM1’s would of cost 30quid 😀

TF_Gavin

I’m not over sold on the tooling/casting being why they cost more – anyone remember the old PR22’s? Pretty much the same shape hook but spade end, 99p for ten. Has anybody bothered to contact Preston to see if their similar shape hook is going to be released on it’s own? I aint doing it, cos they’re not big/strong enough for the fishing I’m doing at the moment! Plus, I don’t care 😉

I doubt the Fox Series 2’s will go for too long, they’ll more than likely appear in a blue Matrix packet!

Anyhow they’re only hooks – if you like them, buy them! If you don’t then use something else and stop moaning 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.