Best £600-800 pole?

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Best £600-800 pole?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  TF_NathanWatson 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

TF_Lambhead1

Any ideas what would be the best pole for this price range?would rather have a well balanced 14.5 metre pole than a shite handling 16 metre one,been looking at the deal on the map tks 50 in chapmans however and it looks very tempting,worried about spares though seeing as though they have just brought out their new range?thanks in advance.

TF_AdzT
    Participant

the map range i believe is all on the same mandrel so everything should fit as all the top kits are the same throughout the range

TF_feederace

Get yourself a good cond 2nd hand Spectron comp around £700 for a mint one…

TF_Tickle

I would be tempted to have a look at the new shimano Exagenot sure of its price but all the preious exage poles have been very good. Failing that the TKS 50 is a good pole.

TF_squatt

If you want new something from the Map range, maybe TKS 525. Shimano mid range(exage) are brilliant at 13m. Or possibly a 2nd hand Spectron if you can find one.

you can pick up a shimano exage bx for under 350 notes, if climax web site is correct.
    a new cx version is due out this year according to their web site.

Gotta be a secondhand Spectron or Tournament for me. Even a G8 if you don’t fish 16M much and want it even cheaper.

Problem is if you’re on a budget and but a 2nd hand flagship pole what happens if you break a section ? you’re knackered :-/

Ref. the notes on exage above I bought one just before Christmas (BX £339 from Nathans Derby) and I think it’s fantastic for the money.

Everyone seems to rate the TKS poles so can’t see you going wrong with one of those either.

TF_PoDd

If you want new, the SR5 is the best in that price range.

stretch2

HAVE USED TKS40 FOR AFEW SEASONS .GOOD FOR CARP AND GOOD FOR SILVERS. 14.5 M GREAT .16 M OK FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS . STRONG AND HAD NO PROBLEM WITH SPARES,AND CHEAP. GO FOR IT….

Anonymous

TF_Lambhead1

Is the tks 525 a direct replacement for the tks 50 or tks 40?Also a few people are saying the tks 50 is a better pole than the 525 surely thats just because of the top kits available and not the pole itself?Had a look at the exage BX as I owned the AX a fair few years ago,amazing piece of kit for the price but im after something I can throw about more as I never felt confident bagging with it,the map and the garbolino gmax 600 are leading the way at the minute not tried the daiwa range yet though so we shall see.

TF_PoDd

525 relaces 40.
    625 replaces 50.

40 and 50 are both discontinued, but new ones arent much different.

SR5 is better than both. GXR2001 is worth a look.

TF_baitchef
    Participant

I’d be really careful if i was buying a new pole in that price bracket. Spares availability can be a real nightmare on some of the foreign poles. Also if you are serious then at some point you will want to upgrade, which means you have to consider re sale value.
    Daiwa pretty much demand very good re sale prices as they are always a sought after brand.

@Serious Sam wrote:

Problem is if you’re on a budget and but a 2nd hand flagship pole what happens if you break a section ? you’re knackered :-/

Ref. the notes on exage above I bought one just before Christmas (BX £339 from Nathans Derby) and I think it’s fantastic for the money.

Everyone seems to rate the TKS poles so can’t see you going wrong with one of those either.

Rubbish! Either get it repaired or send back to Daiwa and if they decide it was faulty they will replace it. Also plenty of 2nd hand Daiwa spares for sale on Ebay regularly.

TF_JohnH

Good advice Nathan, totally agree. If you break a section Scott will fix it and it will be as good as new. many of the larger retailers offer a good repair service also. A Pro was listed on here a few days ago for £900 with lots of top kits. No brainer for me as an £800 pole from a retailer will simply not be in the same league IMO.

@nathanwatson wrote:

@Serious Sam wrote:

Rubbish! Either get it repaired or send back to Daiwa and if they decide it was faulty they will replace it. Also plenty of 2nd hand Daiwa spares for sale on Ebay regularly.

I get what you’re saying and each to their own but it wouldn’t be for me.

I wouldn’t want to live with broken / repaired sections and wouldn’t want to be weeks without the pole either waiting for daiwa to look at it or for the particular section I want to turn up on ebay or wherever.

I’m a clumsy git and in the last couple of years have stepped on 3 top kits, one number 4, kicked a number 5 in half stepping over it and had another nunber 4 bloen in the lake – I’d be too scared to own a pole where a broken section might be a couple of hundred quid.

@Serious Sam wrote:

@nathanwatson wrote:

@Serious Sam wrote:

I get what you’re saying and each to their own but it wouldn’t be for me.

I wouldn’t want to live with broken / repaired sections and wouldn’t want to be weeks without the pole either waiting for daiwa to look at it or for the particular section I want to turn up on ebay or wherever.

I’m a clumsy git and in the last couple of years have stepped on 3 top kits, one number 4, kicked a number 5 in half stepping over it and had another nunber 4 bloen in the lake – I’d be too scared to own a pole where a broken section might be a couple of hundred quid.

The answer is, buy 2 poles on same mandrel! Also repairs are normally £30 and are fin and always plenty of fairly cheap used Daiwa sections available.

TF_Lambhead1

Thanks lads,had a go of the map 525 doesn’t really do anything for me would rather have the gmax 600 if I was going down that route….just came across a bit more money so im going for a new daiwa g20 handled one today and im totally happy with it along with the price of spares etc had a little browse for second hand tourney pro’s but none in my area really (northwest) and aint quite got the balls to spend that much money on a second hand piece of kit!

@nathanwatson wrote:

The answer is, buy 2 poles on same mandrel! Also repairs are normally £30 and are fin and always plenty of fairly cheap used Daiwa sections available.

The answer to having an expensive pole is to buy another one ?

I thought you were supposed to be tight 😉

Don’t know where you heard that!!!!??? Always have at least 2 of everything! If you get a Tournament Pro or Airity you can get a cheap G8 for spares as all the sections fit. Would hate to break a no. 7 etc in a big match and not have a spare!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.