fantastic weights on the wye 2day.

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing fantastic weights on the wye 2day.

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TF_clfletch 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

94lb winning weight hadrian whittle roach and chubb~clap ~clap ~clap
    78lb dave roberts roach and chubb~clap ~clap
    73lb dave britain roach and chubb~clap
    section winning weights 60lb
    does it get any better than this what a river.
    my 23lb nowhere but had a great day.~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap

tyfoid

Out standing ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap

Weldone chaps

TF_squatt

Amazing!

Sorry Lee got to correct you. I was 3rd with 70lb. Dave Brittain was 2nd.

Top 3rd were predominantly chub with odd dace and roach.

An amazing match caused by the fish not wanting to spread out too far. There were some huge roach and dace weights not picking up a penny.

TF_gixer1

what a fantastic result for proper fishing,just wish I had been there!.

sorry dave thats what sads told me the weights were.great day though well done.~clap ~clap ~clap

Ahhh….poor old sads, he’s getting on a bit now!lol

yeah he is getting on a bit dave hahaha what a day though~clap that rivers got me now! its only the 3rd time ive fished it! its cost me a load of cash in tackle and rigs just cant wait to get back on there.lol

I wouldn’t like to put a dampener on the result but I have heard that the Wye is more than a little peggy. Fantastic top 3 weights for sure but does anyone know how many fished and what the average weight was for all competitors. To me that is the best indication of how good a match is.

Those top weights add up to approx 250lb so if you get 53 fishing and the average weight is over 10 pound for the rest of them, then yes that is a great days fishing. If you have 53 fishing with those top weights and the average weight for the other 50 is below 5lb then for most it will not have been a great day.

You’re putting a dampner on nothing waveney one.

There were 10 pegs where it was rock hard further upstream which is why the weights were so good downstream. The fish weren’t prepared to run as they normally do.

The top 9 weights totalled approx 556lb so divided by 40 anglers (the amount fishing)is just under 14lb per man. Remember that’s not including the multiple 20 & 30lb back up weights weights s that figure in reality is quite a bit bigger….pretty imprressive by anyones standards.

2 weeks ago there was a 33 pegger and everyone in the match had at least double figures with 57lb of dace winning. This was because there was a bit of colour in. It changes all the time but it’s great to think we get sport like this from late september onwards and still going strong now. Sure it can be peggy without colour but name me a venue that isn’t after the winter we’ve had.

Dave sads was in that section packed up early he said u picked up 2 envelopes at the draw and he picked up the one you put down.hahahahahah made me laugh. bloke in my section had 51lb and didnt even get the section win crazy.

If you look at the weights you’ll find that with the exception of Hadrian Whittle there was only 3lbs between each place which when you consider the weights, it was quite a close match.

1st Hadrian Whittle Starlets 94 lbs
    2nd Dave Brittain Shakespeare 73lbs
    3rd Dave Roberts Tricast, (Starlets), 70lbs
    4th Danny Ashington Starlets 67lbs
    5th Phil Marzonier 64lb
    6th Lee Gardener Shakespeare 60lbs

One guy weighed 59lbs and didn’t pick up a penny and Shawn Gould was amazed when his 44lbs was only good enough to win the section by triple default~sick

I’ve never seen chub weights like those, (they were all small chub 8oz to 1lb with a few slightly bigger ones thrown in), come off those pegs and believe it or not Dave and I didn’t catch for the first hour

When I drew peg 61 I set my stall out for 40lbs of dace hoping for a few bonus roach, the odd perch and if I was lucky a couple of proper chub, however after catching dace for most of the second hour, I then started to catch chub going into the third and fourth hours. The last hour was a mixture of chub, dace and roach.

Funnily enough Daves chub were a slightly better stamp but we both had a superb days stick float fishing.

As Dave has said there were plenty of 20, 30 and 40lb weights and peg 96 which would have been my pick of the pegs only produced 48lbs.

As for the river being peggy, it’s 230 mile round trip with a £40 bait bill and if it was as bad as some would suggest I wouldn’t make the effort. What I would say though is that when the river fishes it’s the best venue in the country.

Although there were a few blanks if there had been colour in it would have been a different river yet again. Mind you if Pete had put the pegs at the top in instead of the 40’s there would have been every chance that Hadrian wouldn’t have won the match ~sick

Doh!!!

decided that I didn’t fancy the trip over this weekend …… big mistake, HUGE mistake!!

which pegs were top 6 please?

on last couple of years form the small chub seemed to congregate in the high 90s. Just shows how unpredicatable this river is

Alex

Hadrian was on 64
    I was on 61
    Dave was on 60
    Danny was on 88
    Not sure about Phil
    Lee was on 92

Level was 2.5ft up and quite clear. If there had been more colour in I think there would have been some big roach weights.

TF_Dan1982

Well done both Daves, Adey was brilliant as well.
    Dave my catch consisted of around 35 – 40lb of roach up to 12oz and the rest chub up to a pound and half.
    Took half hour to get my first fish, as you know that peg is quite snaggy and had to fish 18″ off bottom to get my rig to run through proper. Never caught a lot in the last hour neither maybe 6lb as I think the fish moved into the middle of the river which I think was caused by bank walkers which did not help all match to be honest on that peg as the bank is so high off the water.
    Cracking venue and a great bunch of blokes who fish these matches, it always amazes me how buzzing everyone is in the morning before the draw.

thanks Dave and well done to all

how much do I regret going for a half marathon cross country run instead?? perils of too many interests!!

Anonymous

£40 bait bill, Dave. Thats a massive bait bill. What baits and quantities are you taking and did you get though most of it? Was it to cover all eventualities depending on the state of the river and the response of the fish or are you attacking those pegs and need those baits quantities to have a chance of competing?

Trueblue! Dave knows loads more about the place than me but for your average match i would take
    7kg of groundbait
    molehill soil and terre de riviere
    6-8 pints of maggots
    4 pints of caster
    5 pints of hemp
    1kg of worm
    lobworms
    pellet and groundbait for barble if u draw on them
    liqqy bread if the rivers clear and some chubb pegs.
    even if i was to win a match(wich i cant see happening lol) after diesel money and the cash i paid out to gear myself up for the river i would be nowere near even but to see catches like that and get a few urself the place just gets my heart pounding may sound over the top but its a fantastic venue.

What a great days fishing.Congrats to everyone.We are all very envious here.Sounds like a good crowd of fellas too….HAPPY DAYS.~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap ~clap

Steve
    On a good peg I’d expect to use 8kgs ground bait, 3 pints of caster, 4 pints of maggot and 2 pints of hemp. Although you won’t always use it, you have to take it with you. Like Lee has highlighted you also need to take some pellets fishmeal groundbait and worms just in case.i

If you draw badly you can always save your bait for the next week, however on Sunday I used all my bait with the exception of a pint of maggots and hemp which I’ left in the car.
    Although some may knock the venue and costs, how many people would give £100 to catch 50lbs on the stick. For many that would be the catch of a life time.

Steve
    On a good peg I’d expect to use 8kgs ground bait, 3 pints of caster, 4 pints of maggot and 2 pints of hemp. Although you won’t always use it, you have to take it with you. Like Lee has highlighted you also need to take some pellets fishmeal groundbait and worms just in case.i

If you draw badly you can always save your bait for the next week, however on Sunday I used all my bait with the exception of a pint of maggots and hemp which I’ left in the car.
    Although some may knock the venue and costs, how many people would give £100 to catch 50lbs on the stick. For many that would be the catch of a life time.

You can’t knock it. One trip to your peg for your tackle and another for the bait I guess!

Dave, how long are some of the walks and how long do you get between draw and the start. I am afraid that an old geezer like me needs at least 1 1/2 hour’s to get set up with only one reasonable walk to contend with these days.

TF_Tim_D

Have you tried Suffolk Water Park Richard, cheap bait bills and parking behind your peg – perfect for an old geezer like you! lol

Richard

The walks are ok on the town stretch where the matches are pegged. It is amazing seeing the barrows loaded up but the walks are short enough to do 2 trips if you want. We get 2 hours to set up as well. The banks are the worst at this time of year. The gear just gets plastered in mud and if you’re not prepared they can be dangerous.

As for bait it’s always been an issue but if you catch well you feed more. On sunday I was faced with chub running up the river but only coming so far and dropping off. I was lucky to be on the end of it because there wasn’t much caught above. I had to loosefeed heavily to keep a few interested because they didn’t want to sit over the groundbait. As a result I fed a gallon of maggot (6 pints of which was left over from 2 weeks ago)4 pints of hemp and 2 pints of caster. As Dave said a lot of the bait is recyclable you’ve just got to have the bases covered.

Danny

That peg is hard work. The bank is a nightmare. It doesn’t frame that often either. Probably weren’t helped by having Adey opposite cos he’s unstoppable on fish. Amazing that the roach have fed so well and been almost forgotten in the results. They’re bagging down there again today.

Dave

I don’t agree with your comment about Pete putting the top end in. That’s a bit naughty. It’s a comment aired by frustrated people who haven’t caught. There may have been more bites to be had than in the 40s but there isn’t a peg up there capable of competing on a cold river. I wouldn’t have wanted to walk up there on sunday……….i’ve been enough already this season!~naughty

@tim_d wrote:

Have you tried Suffolk Water Park Richard, cheap bait bills and parking behind your peg – perfect for an old geezer like you! lol

Once or twice Tim. Once or twice ~shh ~shh.

Don’t want everyone to know about the short walks though!

@daveroberts wrote:

Richard

The walks are ok on the town stretch where the matches are pegged. It is amazing seeing the barrows loaded up but the walks are short enough to do 2 trips if you want. We get 2 hours to set up as well. The banks are the worst at this time of year. The gear just gets plastered in mud and if you’re not prepared they can be dangerous.

I don’t really associate chub with groundbait but there again we don’t have loads of them over in this part of the country. It tends to be loose fed casters or bronzies for them on the Cam, Upper Ouse, Waveney or Gipping. The lower stretches of the river are totally devoid of them anyway and the upper stretches have only limited numbers.

I would love to be able to fish the Wye in the winter and the Yare in the summer. There are times even in the summer when the Yare doesn’t fish because of high water. That is a big spring tide though, not too much rain!

The Wensum has loads of roach and skimmers in this time of the year but you have to fish in front of the bars and shops in Norwich City Centre. Banks are good though a little difficult to get a rod rest in though – concrete!!!

what pegs were they catching on 2day dave?? theres an open this wknd isnt there??

The Yare in the summer and the Wye in the winter……now that would be nice.

At least you get the weather in your prime time!

Lee

Peg 89 and 90 were catching roach and chub and it was a chub a chuck on peg 63 and 64. No one else fishing surprisingly.

There’s a club match sunday on the left bank. I’m off to shrewsbury saturday for a reality check!~sick

Dave.

My comment Ref the top pegs wasn’t a snipe at Pete or the organisation of the matches which are superb. It was more a statement how good the river is to justify the expenses incurred fishing the matches

I know it can be peggy up there however both the top pegs and the tennis courts are capable of throwing up big weights in the right conditions and I’d have been quite happy to walk up there if I’d drawn there as I felt the conditions were perfect on the day.

Dave

Given the choice of blanking or catching 20lb of chub then without doubt you’d go but they don’t show in big numbers (enough to rival Hadrians Weight as you suggested)at this time of year and never have.

The trouble with the opens is Pete is only allowed pegs 1-96 so the tennis courts is out of use and if it was you might have 1 maybe 2 good pegs and then more garbage. Pegging matches on cold clear rivers is a nightmare. I think Pete dreads it once the bookings go over 30.

Lets hope for a 3’6″ coloured river for the next league match……that’ll even it up a bit!

Dave.

Did Woody not win a match from up the top a few years ago just before I went to Korea with over 100lbs of barbel and chub in late Jan early Feb, possibly one of the last opens or winter leagues?

I hope you’re right about 3ft 6in and colour as that would be perfect but if it’s low and clear I’ll settle for a peg up the top as I’ve got lots of liquidised bread to use that I left at home on Sunday after Pete told me the chub pegs weren’t in ~think

Funnily enough Lee Gardner phoned me at 08-30 this morning asking if I was still stiff and aching. Apparently he was that stiff he could hardly move yesterday~clap

He did Dave off peg 10 but not this time of year. He just missed out on a ton. It was the last league match in march and it was a lot warmer. Darren Reynolds had 70lb off peg 11 the same day. They stack up in there before spawning. There were big weights off the same pegs in the same match a year later but not last year because we had a cold February.

I have been aching but not from fishing. Picked up some sickness bug and have been in and out of bed the last 2 days.

Lots of people moaning about aches from fishing…..must have been a good match.

no more opens this year gutted. i,ll be down to watch the last 2 winter league matches and hopefully they will fish just as well then maybe i can get some info on how to fish and feed it properly.as i think i blew out a bit on sunday.~sick

TF_clfletch

Great catches, but there were two sections above the old railway bridge where almost nothing was caught at all. On those pegs it was literally not worth fishing.

Don’t get me wrong – I love Belmont, but it was effectively two matches, above and below the bridge – one fantastic one and one where almost everyone blanked. My section was won with a 1″ fish that looked more like a tadpole.

It’s tricky pegging the Wye though and with some colour in the roach would have shown and it would have been a different story.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.