Is this cheating?

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Is this cheating?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Nigel. 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

TF_boydie
    Participant

I fished a match on snake lake 13 – 14.5 metres wide.

The wind was horrendous making it difficult to fish tight across. I saw some anglers fishing the bomb or a small feeder but they were all having difficulty casting tight over due to overhanging trees and the fact that it was such a short distance to cast.

I persevered with the pole but it got me thinking, are there any rule that say you cant “cup” your bomb over in a pole cup? At least then you could be sure if getting it in the right spot.

TF_Gillbo

Depends on the rules mate but under NFA rules you are technically ‘using a mechanical feeding aid while fishing a rod and line’. Thats what I was told anyway mate, its apparently the same as feeding a pole line with a cupping kit while fishing the bomb or waggler.

TF_toplights

Before the match start,pot in you’r bomb,clip it up,cant see that being against the rules.You would however have to be aware of local match rules.

TF_Smed

seen it done many a time before and no1 complained, just dont put your bail arm over till you ship your pole back (not that anyone would be daft enuff to!) ~naughty

TF_Gavin

If your fishing to model match rules it’s not allowed. However, you can cup in a bomb before the whistle and clip it up.

TF_nitro

But surely you are not actually “fishing” until the bomb rig is in the water, at which point the pole is no longer in use, its just being held above the water.

Theres nothing to say i cant fish the feeder while waving my pole over the water with no rig on!

TF_geepster

I would say if it’s not banned in your local matches, it should be. It’s a bit like using a bait boat to position your rig isn’t it?

TF_boydie
    Participant

I can’t see how the bait boat argument stands up after all we’re talking about matches on snake lake type commercials where you can assume all the competitors have poles.

Obviously some lakes are wider than others but the far bank is generally a standard distance say 13 -16 metres so it is a method that is available to everyone and it’s not as if you’re trying to gain an unfair advantage by doing it, just achieve better presentation and make life easier in bad conditions.

I suppose the only way to do it is ask the organiser at the start of the match then make sure everyone knows it’s an option then there’s no problem if you use it and sack up!

just mark of on yer pole how far it is to be tight over with marker pen ship back, place pole behind you in one and place rod tip at marker point pull line of reel and place bomb in cup or pole tip and clip up and fish straight at far back bite will be left or right of rod and no snap offs UNLESS YOUR HERBIE AND HIS BROOM HANDLES LOL

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Ive seen the wind get up and anglers do it in open water that way you can put your bomb on your pole line,If your fishing up against a feature i dont see any point in doing It. I wouldnt ban the practice its like anglers that cup out bait while fishing the bomb I wouldnt ban that but I wouldnt do It myself.

@anthonywaters wrote:

Ive seen the wind get up and anglers do it in open water that way you can put your bomb on your pole line,If your fishing up against a feature i dont see any point in doing It. I wouldnt ban the practice its like anglers that cup out bait while fishing the bomb I wouldnt ban that but I wouldnt do It myself.

The reason that I banned cupping in on the long pole line whilst using another rod on the matches I run is fairly simple. The carp were pulling rods off the rest and with 16 metres off pole in your hands there is nothing to stop rods disappearing into the lake. If someone loses their rod whilst breaking the rule the only thing I worry about is the fish having to drag a rod and reel about!

In the particular case of the thread starter as has been stated there is no reason at all to use the pole cup to drop the lead in. just have a few casts without a hooklength prior to the match starting and then clip up. I do like the idea of using the pole to measure the distance then using that length to pull the line out and clip up. I hadn’t thought of that and it is a brilliant idea when fishing in open water at 16 metres.~clap In the past I have cupped the lead in prior to the match starting.

TF_Smed

the reason why ppl do it is to avoid losing the lead in overhanging branches reeds etc, so marking out using the pole or clipping up b4 the all in is useless, if there is no overhanging vegitation then ppl would just cast the rig tight up…
    you know what these snake lakes are like, if your not in the grass you dont get a bite, so using the pole to get the bomb in the perfect place makes sense…

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

I would never ban a method I dont like If I saw somebody cupping in their bomb on the mud line around an Island then fair play to them just because I dont want to do it doesnt make it wrong, A lot of rules are utter Bollox,16m pole limit on a place I fish yet you can chuck a bomb 3 pegs away if you have space !

TF_Smed

and as for the bait boat thread re using an artificial aid to place feed, isnt that exactly what a pole cup is??
    we use a pole to get accuracy, we dont chuck balls of gb in anymore cos the pole is so accurate, as long as folk are only using one hook and one line theres no probs with me…imho its the guys who fish the extreme limits (and beyond) on these snake lakes that are the cheats

TF_Smed

totally agree ant, if you draw say peg 10 you fish peg 10 regardless if 11,12,13,14 are out!!!~naughty

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

What Im saying Smed is If somebody tells you a 16m pole limit is enforce because of the size of the venue then does that mean you cant fish any further out than 16m because the venue is too small ?

TF_Fordy

Depends whether you are happy cheating really.

If it doesn’t bother you, ship out and plop away!! If you’d prefer your angling to be a test of your ability, then try casting.

Sorry if that sounds pithy – but I can’t stand cheating.

TF_Nigel.

Yes its cheating.
    You can only use one rod at a time.

TF_Two-nets

@nigel. wrote:

Yes its cheating.
    You can only use one rod at a time.

Exactly – to use a pole to cup out a baited bomb etc is using two ‘rods’ in my opinion.

TF_clfletch

How about plumbing up on your pole line while your feeder’s in? Is that against the rules?

TF_Nigel.

Yes, you can only use one at a time in a match. So you cant chuck another feeder to clip it up, or chuck a float, or plumb a pole.
    You can feed by hand, but only have one rod in use, and you cant have any other rods or tops ready baited ether for that matter!

(mind with todays loops, hairs etc, thats uncommon!)

TF_jwb

Yes it is cheating to cup in your bomb / feeder.
    It is also cheating to cup in bait with a pole cup while fishing a bomb / feeder on another rod. Pulled someone up on this the other day at oakfield~naughty

@jwb wrote:

Yes it is cheating to cup in your bomb / feeder.
    It is also cheating to cup in bait with a pole cup while fishing a bomb / feeder on another rod.

This is/was allowed at cudmore on the opens or was 12 month ago when i was last there.

TF_yorkshire

really knobs me off this, had it happened to me stafford moor, guy also fished the feeder while pole feeding, until he nearly lost his rod!!

TF_boydie
    Participant

I know of one or two fisheries that allow you to cup bait in whilst fishing the lead. It may not be NFA rules but if it makes life easier and none of the anglers involved object then I don’t see a problem.

The thing that surprises me with any of these kind of thorny subjects is that some people seem to take a moral high ground and dismiss an idea as cheating when it’s just a solution to a problem faced by many anglers.

TF_Nigel.

Boydie, no ones taking moral high ground, you can only use one rod at a time, simple.

TF_boydie
    Participant

Nigel, as a fishery owner you are entitled to make that decision and enforce any rules that you see fit but I still think there’s a few grey areas. You touched on it yourself when you mentioned banded baits on top kits not in use.

The whole point of this thread was simply my observation that there was possibly a better method of fishing in difficult conditions.

TF_Nigel.

That is true boydie, i could make rules, but i chose not too.
    I fish matches here too Angling Trust rules, as i believe that they are the governing body, and all matches should be fished to AT rules.
    But as you say, and others have too, that individual fisheries and match organisers, will often allow certain methods, such as cupping in while still fishing etc.
    And to be honest, if a club match comes here, i dont mind what they do, but if i run a match, its too AT rules.

BUT, the likes of your spare top having a bait on it, always gets ignored, as does using your phone, the rules need updating i think.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.