Keeping Warm

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Keeping Warm

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TF_paulnewell 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Sitting for 5 hrs matchfishing is a test for keeping warm . But. The laptop is an easy source of education ! If you can absorb and put knowledge into action . You only need read of arctic expeditions and walkers . But they may be moving , which is not what we do . The Canadian and American hunters after Dear sit for ages trying to get their quarry .! Worst stuff next to your skin is cotton . 3 tee shirts gets no sympathy . And 2 pair of trousers is crap . Don’t complain of the cold when you dress like a tramp !! With no thought or common sense . :confused: :confused: :confused:

It’s alright for you, with your winter heating allowance, but us young folks only have three t-shirts for warmth.

Good job I’m a northerner, and genetically adapted to go without a coat…

Us young folk ? That’s why they called me pop when I was last on the building site . 😀 . Isn’t Redditch up North ? Seriously , came back from the pub watching Villa v Leicester and my mate came in from a match complaining of the cold . Close inspection of his layering system . :confused: Washed out cotton tee shirts are no good . Cotton hoodies on top are no good . Last week he spent a wallet full on ale and a night out at a boxing show .!!!! Suppose you must get your priorities right . Heating allowance ???? :rolleyes:

Anonymous

What’s the answer then paul ? How should we be layering are the named polo shirts and sweatshirt no good for winter , froze me nads off today so keen to get a crimbo wish list going

TF_craigm

I was fine today in the wind, rain and near zero temperatures. I wear a Campri base layer, jogging bottoms, t-shirt + hoody. Then a softshell jacket all covered in a goretex suit with liner in the bib n brace. I have 2 pairs of socks on and a set of moon boots – toasty warm.

TF_Paddy

1- Sundrigde micro fleece straight on the body with no t- shirt.
    2- fleece walking jumper.
    3 – any good wind proof fleece.
    4 – water proof layer that you can either have on or take off.
    5 – woolly hat and neck tube thingy.
    6 – sundridge igloo 3 long johns.
    7 – lined wind proof walking trousers.
    8 – sundrigde igloo 3 bib and brace
    9 – any good long wooly socks.
    10 – good pair of leather walking boots.

Toasty – gloves are for wimps.

1 litre Hi-Gear stainless steel flask prepared properly by letting boiling water in it for 5 mins, then making up again, plus adding milk heated up out the microwave – nuclear hot and stays like that from 6 morning until 6 in the evening.

Just invest in some good clobber and it will pay you back for years.

Paddy that’s cock on . Not much to add . Micro fleece next to skin ! And no it don’t itch . Get rid of cotton if possible . Also when walking to pegs leave off stuff or you cook and sweat before you get there . Talked last year of Merino wool roll necks . They are the b……..oks . Also loose clothing . 🙂 Ski type Balaclavers can give you a whole new perspective .

An old trick for your hands is to smear vasoline on the back of them . It keeps the wet out of them . Just don’t get it all over your palms and fingers .

TF_Paddy

ha ha ha – i was not going to mention the Vaseline in case of getting pelters!
    It was the last thing i did before fishing Stourport on Saturday, it really does work.
    Ps – 74 Roach, 17 Dace and a single Perch Saturday Paul – Good day.

I actually rub the vaseline in well on both backs of hands and palms – seems to work for me

I’m yet to be convinced about Pure merino wool baselayers ….. doesn’t dry out as quickly as synthetic fabric if you do get overheated. Although wool is definitely warmer than cotton when wet.

Original onesie? I wouldn’t be without my 30 year old fibre pile one-piece suit on really cold days.
    Synthetic padded clothing can be a good alternative to a fleece, even cheap brands like Peter Storm. Goose down is super warm but I get soooooo muddy fishing and washing down garments can be tricky ….. synthetics can just be chucked in the washing machine.

And the right footwear is also vital.

The base layer is most important,as it needs to keep heat in,but allow moisture out,so there is no sweat build up which leads to that cold clammy feeling,which helps cold build up.
    the remaining layers need to be breathable as well,breathable being the key world to continue letting moisture out.good waterproofing is essential even during the summer months to cover for those summer showers.

@paulnewell wrote:

Paddy that’s cock on . Not much to add . Micro fleece next to skin ! And no it don’t itch . Get rid of cotton if possible . Also when walking to pegs leave off stuff or you cook and sweat before you get there . Talked last year of Merino wool roll necks . They are the b……..oks . Also loose clothing . 🙂 Ski type Balaclavers can give you a whole new perspective .

agree – amazing what a difference a roll neck on top of the base layer makes – thin and lightweight as well. You can even match them to your branded hoodies and H/Hunt gear as well, 😀

Ballies r great – find the lightweight ‘silk’ – ie viscose motorcycle type actually the best and far warmer than the snoods and thermal type and you can still get your b/ball cap and hood over if you really need.
    However to me fingerless and waterproof gloves are a no -brainer unless you prefer t shirts – you can concentrate better when your extremities are relatively warm. When you’re old like me and in early stages of senility you’ll realize – or forget. 😀

Not everyone will love this ! But bugger I’ll tell anyway . When your hands have gone so cold your little finger wants to die . Roll up your sleeves and get you knob out ! Then pee all over them . 😀 😀 😀 This will immediately revive your pinkies , and a brisk rubb in your clean fish towel will be amazing . Don’t waste a bowel full on a freezing day . :p :p :p

@paulnewell wrote:

Not everyone will love this ! But bugger I’ll tell anyway . When your hands have gone so cold your little finger wants to die . Roll up your sleeves and get you knob out ! Then pee all over them . 😀 😀 😀 This will immediately revive your pinkies , and a brisk rubb in your clean fish towel will be amazing . Don’t waste a bowel full on a freezing day . :p :p :p

thats the one thing i really hate – having to get up off my box and carnage of blown -off top kits for a pee – plus inevitably the dire need at match end. Locaing an old shrivelled pinkie – through various zip up layers and ‘hoisting it over the yardarm’ is a nightmare and a recipe for misdirected ‘hood-spray’. 😮 😮

Average-Al
    Participant

Top tip Paddy regarding how to make up your flask made mine to your direction and it was lovely and hot all shift 🙂

TF_redarmy

paul ithink that should of said bladder full not bowel 😀

TF_Paddy

Can i say Paul’s bowel’s are always full? 😮
    Joshin big man, calm down!
    AA, works every time mate, the good stainless flasks say it in the write up instructions and i just remember reading it.

Well spotted Redarmy . What a mistake . I couldn’t advocate the bowel full . Only over the heads of the smiling crocodiles . 😀 😀 😀 . The bladder full over your hands does produce great relief if somewhat crude . For rough arsed building workers , Aston Villa Supporters , or ex S.A .S . 😉 Thanks for the correction , on my writing only the other day I was on here talking of some that need extra education . This has made me chuckle and I hope many others that spotted it had a good laugh . :p :p :p .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.