Line diameter

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Line diameter

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TF_paulnewell 2 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Average-Al
    Participant

First frosts of the year just arrived and my first round of a silver fish league starts this Sunday. The venue is a 40 odd peg lake with an average depth of 3 feet. Roach, Perch and skimmers will be the target species.
    I have made my roach rigs up on 0.9 main line to 0.7 hook links. I have never gone below 0.10 main line before and I,m not sure why I have now.
    My question is will it make the slightest difference?

Average-Al
    Participant

The main line is Fox micron by the way so should be pretty accurate

A very sexy rig that !!! But you better not move your shots around much . Great caution with over tight silicon float sleeves and ever so carefull when you move your float about or that .9 will let you down !! Fair play if you got away with 0.10 main line last year . Where you a regular winner ? The .7. Hooklength for roach and skimmers is surely sexy enough, and even that may not be needed . IMO .11 or .12 for the rig and .8 hooklength should be good ! After that it’s feeding and technique . Strip them rigs down and think of the important stuff your up the wrong path IMO . 🙂 🙂 🙂

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

Dont forget to use a lighter elastic bud,probably a 3 or 4 will be about right!
    Like paul said though i think .10/.11 mainline would be more suitable! i like Ultima .8 for small fish!

Average-Al
    Participant

Thanks Paul and Abbo62, The durability of the 0.9 did cross my mind Paul and like I said I have never gone that fine before, I just wondered if this would make for better presentation when fishing on the drop.
    Got plenty of confidence in the 0.10 and I guess that any pro’s with 0.9 are out weighed by the cons.

The real crack canal men catching smallish roach on bloodworm and single joker , I know will go down to those very thin lines . using no 2 elastic !!! it’s really down to the winning weights required and what the fish will have . Gin clear water and fisheries that get hammered may need your approach . .6 hooklengths but I still think the rig line ought be at least .10 . Then if it’s a bagging job you can up the anti . 😉 🙂 😉

Just spotted , and never heard of any average anglers in Barnsley . Nip down to a Blacks meeting and get the beer in . 😀 😀 😀

TF_Matchcarp

What’s a silver 😀 😀 😀

The thicker the diameter mainline,the slower the drop through the water.and an 0.10 diameter mainline will be good for durability,as well as keeping tangles down,and you can step up to 0.8mm-0.9mm hooklengths if needed and still have a balance rig setup.

Average-Al
    Participant

Yes mate going to junk em tomorrow and go to 0.10′, what Paul said about concentrating on the feeding and technique is spot on.
    Paul if we ever meet mate I will but you a pint and you can pass on some more words of wisdom 😉

@average-al wrote:

Thanks Paul and Abbo62, The durability of the 0.9 did cross my mind Paul and like I said I have never gone that fine before, I just wondered if this would make for better presentation when fishing on the drop.
    Got plenty of confidence in the 0.10 and I guess that any pro’s with 0.9 are out weighed by the cons.

Whats 0.01 between friends?

@matchcarp wrote:

What’s a silver 😀 😀 😀

Tis a bloke with a beard patch over one eye and a wooden leg think he goes by the name of long john.

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@punchcrumb wrote:

@matchcarp wrote:

What’s a silver 😀 😀 😀

Tis a bloke with a beard patch over one eye and a wooden leg think he goes by the name of long john.

Thats right punch,i believe he uses “pieces of .8” for hook lengths!

I would stick with .10 mainline, but depends on the stamp of fish you expect to catch and where you’re catching them from as to the hooklength and elastic.
    If you watch the barnsley lads on the stainy they’re like fish catching machines.

It doesn’t sound much but .1 is 10 percent ! When you get to matchfish for roach and skimmers etc there is a need to fine down , within reason . Carp fishing for years on end dims the belief . But more important than taking the piss just ask , is the beefy line you got through that rig necessary ? Also that rig that you beefed up just in case you hooked a big un may cost you lots of missed bites and a result . Puller bungs in t kits have seen many very big carp subdued on .12 and even .10 !!! Hook the bottom on .0.10 on a float rod and you can bend the rod double to break it ! When I fished tunnel for f1s on bread , mostly I fished .16 straight through . No real need to fish too fine because it was overstocked and the fish suckers for the bait ! Durability to catch 150lbs to 250lbs was the requirement . Horses for courses . 😉

@paulnewell wrote:

It doesn’t sound much but .1 is 10 percent ! When you get to matchfish for roach and skimmers etc there is a need to fine down , within reason . Carp fishing for years on end dims the belief . But more important than taking the piss just ask , is the beefy line you got through that rig necessary ? Also that rig that you beefed up just in case you hooked a big un may cost you lots of missed bites and a result . Puller bungs in t kits have seen many very big carp subdued on .12 and even .10 !!! Hook the bottom on .0.10 on a float rod and you can bend the rod double to break it ! When I fished tunnel for f1s on bread , mostly I fished .16 straight through . No real need to fish too fine because it was overstocked and the fish suckers for the bait ! Durability to catch 150lbs to 250lbs was the requirement . Horses for courses . 😉

Never take the pee me 😀 😀 😀

TF_paulk66

Must admit I never drop below 0.12 rig and 0.10 hooklength and always seem to catch even when the water is gin clear..

Some good advice on here AL ,also bait and hook pattern and size has a positive or negative effect on presentation.

One tip that always gets me from empty net to some in at this time of year is give the new maggot a little drink of water to make the float .

Then at this time of year it will pop up the maggot when the hook size matches the buoyancy of the bait ,

Sometimes I go down to 23/25s hook just to get the bite, then I work on um ,give it a go and see how you do and let us know– good luck ! 🙂 A good patter of hook is mustad 90340 barbless

That’s an age old pattern ? hard to get hold of . Middy 6313 fine carp match , and the drennan fine wire maggot , Also 510 barbless . Although the 510 is a touch thick in the wire . A neat round bend silver 801 turbutini finer sister to the 808 is a nice hook . When the going is hard. 🙂 Hooks are like a love affair ! Once one lets you down it’s over . That’s why there’s thousands of pounds on the wall at the back of the tackle shop . 😀 😀 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.