long distance breaming

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing long distance breaming

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TF_fred van den feeder 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

TF_breamer
    Participant

you big chuckers out there, what set do you use for distances of 70/80 yards, rods, reels braid, weight of feeders, rigs etc?
    have got a shimano xsb 4500 coupled with a normark 13′ multi feeder rod, but i find with a 50 gram feeder it limit is about 65 turns of reel
    cheers lads

TF_nofish

go for a dutchmaster 13’8 with a mini big pit reel. seems to work for my mates who chuck it 100yards+ with ease. its more about casting technique though as i find i cant even compress these rods enough to hit 50 yards!!

For me personally, Tri-Cast Legend 4000, Daiwa TDA, 8lb Fireline. If it’s blowing a hoolie, Tri-Cast Legend 5000, same reel + braid. I know a lot of lads have switched to the Dutchmaster with the TDR and same braid.

coxp001
    Participant

65 turns with one of those reels equates to 75 yds. They do 105 cm per turn. So your not that far off your target. Bit of practice and you could probably add another 10 yds easily

TF_carpmagic
    Participant

I have 14′ Aerocasts for real distance work, the key to getting a big distance though is making sure the rod is loaded. 40 grams isnt enough to get the Aerocast working proper, 6-70 grams is though.

TF_breamer
    Participant

good point that steve
    with the 14′ aerocast, using 60/70 gram feeders, how many turns would you get comfortably on the xsb?
    cheers

TF_carpmagic
    Participant

When messing about with a 3oz lead and braid on the reel and a strong wind behind i chucked 124 turns on the XSB and Phil chucked further. I would say you could chuck 80 turns without too much of a problem in most conditions though.

TF_ally
    Participant

There are some interesting u tube clips of how the carp boys get distance. They are useing braid leaders and nylon mainline and finger stalls as the streach in a nylon leader reduces the cast and the nylon mainline flows better through the rings than braid. But you do need the finger stall to prevent injury. Personaly i would still want to use a braid mainline for bream to aid bite detection, but it may be worth trying a heavy braid leader.
    As for rods i bought a 12 ft aerocast with a veiw to getting the 14 ft one but found that my distance improved so significantly that i ended up buying an 11 ft one instead. I am still toying with the idea of the 14ft but due to the size of the waters i normally fish i cant really justify it so will probably get another 12 ft one. I would certainly recomend the aerocast feeder rods and feel that the oval shape blank is not just a gimick.

TF_ally
    Participant

There are some interesting u tube clips of how the carp boys get distance. They are useing braid leaders and nylon mainline and finger stalls as the streach in a nylon leader reduces the cast and the nylon mainline flows better through the rings than braid. But you do need the finger stall to prevent injury. Personaly i would still want to use a braid mainline for bream to aid bite detection, but it may be worth trying a heavy braid leader.
    As for rods i bought a 12 ft aerocast with a veiw to getting the 14 ft one but found that my distance improved so significantly that i ended up buying an 11 ft one instead. I am still toying with the idea of the 14ft but due to the size of the waters i normally fish i cant really justify it so will probably get another 12 ft one. I would certainly recomend the aerocast feeder rods and feel that the oval shape blank is not just a gimick.

TF_Mino

I use a 14’2, 130g Dutch Master, a Daiwa 4000x Procaster (94cm a turn), 6lb Fireline to a 10lb Fireline shockleader for chucking big feeders long distances.

As mentioned, the key is finding a feeder thats heavy enough to load the rod properly and fits your own style of casting

I need to use a 65g feeder (+ the weight of the groundbait) to load it properly.

Ewan

Shane Hodg

iv got a dutchmaster and i think its a great rod .. i think its all about balnce with everthing, withmy rod i use a diawa TD and i was throwing that 100 reel turns with a 20gram method and 8lb mono , but a bigger feeder i would probs struggle. i use a whisker with the sutch master aswell with 8lb braid on it .. and use a rocket feeder 40gram and can throw that well over 100 reel turn well was 120 but i not sure how many cm’s that is a turn , technique plays a big part .

i feel a bit the same as you though as im going loch ken in august and not sure how big a feeder to use and how much the rod could take , but i went breaming at staunton harold all week and was throwing a big 50gram freeder with groundbait 65 turns very comfortabily.

TF_breamer
    Participant

steve
    whats the difference between the 14′ heavy aerocast and the 12/14′ heavy aerocast, does the 12/14 come with 2 butt sections or a piece you add in to get to 14′.
    is the 12/14 the same power at 14′ as the 14′ heavy feeder?
    cheers dave

TF_carpmagic
    Participant

Hi Dave, the 12/14′ has a short piece which slots in as opposed to two butts. Personally i prefer the standard 14′ as opposed to the multl length as it has a better action.

i use a Spro Leo Koot long range feeder rod. 13 fot up to 90m or 14 fot for extrem distans. This is matched with a Balzer Zammataro Feedermaster 9600 reel. use 0.10 braid with a 0.25mm nylon chock leader. Cant get a much better setup than this. use any feeder from 30gr up to 70gr rocket feeders.

But alot is down to training and learn how to get the most out of your setup. Find the optimal feeder weight and learn how the rod works.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.