method cupped in would this be wrong ?

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing method cupped in would this be wrong ?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Team Rattler 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

What’s your thoughts on cupping in your method with your cupping kit, you could get it right under that bush in the margin or lay it smack along side that airiator without even making a plop, would this be emotive and stir emotions like cupping in bait whilst fishing on the tip did ?

I was guesting on a mates club match earlier this year and he beat me into 2nd place by doing exactly that….apparently it wasn’t in their club rules that you weren’t allowed to do it. Wouldn’t mind but it was at langwith lakes at York which is basically a pole venue. Never kicked up too much of a fuss as after all I was just guesting but he’s had some grief at work on a daily basis ever since 😀 😀 😀
    Personally I don’t agree with it but I guess others will differ…

General match rules state that basically you can’t have two rods over the water whilst fishing. Not even to plumb up a swim whilst fishing the tip. So this would definitely not be allowed.
    You can however do it to get the right distance to clip up to before the match starts.

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

I’ve cupped a lead in myself on my pole line to get your distance the when the wind is horrendous you have the ability to still fish your pole line. Method I’m on about tests the rules to the absolute limits, its not something I would do but I would love to here people views on it already someones seen it done and seen somebody frame doing it, keep the responses coming this will make a good thread -Ant

TF_Smed

At my local you are ALLOWED to feed with a pole whilst having a tip rod out, but are not allowed to cup a method/bomb out…
    Ive seen anglers plumbing a pole line whilst having the tip rod out….
    not sure if that’s allowed to be honest?
    Ive not done any of the above, and personally i think it shouldn’t be allowed…
    only a matter of time before a rod goes in..

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

@smed wrote:

At my local you are ALLOWED to feed with a pole whilst having a tip rod out, but are not allowed to cup a method/bomb out…
    Ive seen anglers plumbing a pole line whilst having the tip rod out….
    not sure if that’s allowed to be honest?
    Ive not done any of the above, and personally i think it shouldn’t be allowed…
    only a matter of time before a rod goes in..

Some venues allow feeding with a pole cup whilst fishing a rod and line its not something I’m confident in doing either as to plumming up on the pole whilst fishing the tip I think that’s just a progression of the latter.

TF_liquid27

On venues where is allowed to feed with pole when fishing tip rod you will in 9 out of 10 times get the bite on tip when shipping your pole out 😀

Anonymous

In truth, almost all of you break rules without ever realising it. Plumbing up while a pole cup is attached to the end of the top kit is very popular but is breaking the rules. Casting a feeder out to get the right distance instead of using a bomb is breaking the rules. Pouring water out of bait boxes in to the margins under your feet is breaking the rules as is dropping a little ball of ground bait under your feet to see how it holds together or breaks up are also breaking the rules but i see these all the time. How often do you see bait floating past you before the all in? I see all of these practices in every match that i have ever fished.

I dont agree with feeding with a pole cup while already having a feeder/bomb rig in the water. However, on those venues that allow this i have to except the rules and so use them to my advantage or ignore the issue. So, dropping a feeder in a pole cup and shipped it out to the fare side of canals to get my method 100% in to the correct place in difficult windy conditions is an advantage. I,ve done it a few times. Had a few complaints about it but if feeding is allowed with a pole cup while using a rod. Then, there are no rules being broken and others shoul except it and get on with it or change the rules completely.

Funny that many of those who break the rules i describbed in my first paragraph also want to feed with a pole cup while fishing on a rod. There also the same anglers who object to shipping a feeder out with a pole cup.

TF_badger
    Participant

What about feeding with a cupping kit while playing a fish ? I know a lad that does it with a seperate top 5 set up he’s very good at it and really makes it work especially late on when they turn up short or in the margins,

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Thanks for the interesting responses

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

@badger wrote:

What about feeding with a cupping kit while playing a fish ? I know a lad that does it with a seperate top 5 set up he’s very good at it and really makes it work especially late on when they turn up short or in the margins,

That’s only feeding while playing a fish I suppose if your allowed to cup in while fishing that’s all your doing like, sounds like a bit of a juggling act people will be using their feet next like some of those Indian chefs

I guess that on open and club matches it is all down to what the individual fisheries allow. So you will have to ask the fishery owner a million questions! lol.
    I know that on larger matches fished to Angling Trust rules you can’t do any of the above.

Agree 100% with Trueblue’s post.

In fact the only feeding while playing fish should be either by hand or with a catty if you’re good enough…

TF_sillysod

Be using bait boats next……..lol

With built-in fish finder facility…

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Thanks for responses I like the one about bait boats and fish finders it evaluates that things do go to far.

TF_stevied

many moons ago, i think it was back in the 1980’s the oxford canal played host to a national match.
    during practise a lot found out that cupping a small bomb under the far bank was a major method.
    before the day of the match the NFA declared the act of using a roach pole (that is what they were called back then) to place a hook or weight into the water was against the rules.

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

@stevied wrote:

many moons ago, i think it was back in the 1980’s the oxford canal played host to a national match.
    during practise a lot found out that cupping a small bomb under the far bank was a major method.
    before the day of the match the NFA declared the act of using a roach pole (that is what they were called back then) to place a hook or weight into the water was against the rules.

Loads of things were pioneered years ago on the canals I saw an Ian Heaps photo where he was canal fishing in the 70s with a pole cup on his pole no one else had them till the 90s !Only time I’ve ever seen cupping a bomb out was on a Martin bowler video where he was barbel fishing on the Royality, he was dropping his bait and his bomb right under a over hanging tree, you can see the effectiveness of the method and I wasn’t surprised that when I asked on here plenty of people had seen it done or done it themselves.

TF_JohnH

This is against model match rules and should not be allowed. We wonder why venues have experts when each one has rules which allow this or that which contravene everyones understanding of exactly the rules we fish to.
    We have long campained for standard rules but it aint going to happen.
    We had a long debate back in summer about gardening and this is exactly the same.
    When pleasure fishing its not so important but in a match situation its not on and fisheries that allow it are only going to drive match anglers elsewhere IMO.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.