Mill on the Soar – Name and Shame.

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Mill on the Soar – Name and Shame.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Paddy 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

TF_CriagH66

Booked the venue for the last match in a series of 10 Spring League rounds last Sunday.

Although the vast majority of the lake looked as you would expect for a fishery charging £7.00 per peg for 26 anglers, 4 of us had to content with a raft of debris and dead, rotting fish covering a whole corner of the lake. So much crap on the surface of the water as to make it unfishable. The stench was revolting.

I’m not talking about a dozen or so casualties of recent spawning activity – more like a hundred plus, roach, skimmers, barbel, big bloated carp. God knows how long these carcasses had been pushed around by the wind.

No excuses, poor fishery management, Lazy, money grabbing, good for nothing bas**rds.

If I was the fishery owner I would hang my head in shame. 😡 😡 😡

Needless to say. It fished crap.

The club will not be booking next year or ever again.

TF_gazer

hav to say our club went there a couple of years back and most of the members said they would not go back we were later told we were put on the worst pegs at the time we were the only match on that day apart from a local knoc up [about 6 people] and they had obviously been cutting or pegs the day before as there was grass and stuff in the water i wanted to give it another chance but rightley the majority won out sounds like they were right first impressions count

TF_JohnH

Its a real shame that some fishery owners let situations like this arise. I have fished lots of commercials and most are very well run and policed. However for too long I have felt some were no more than holes in the ground and now will only fish ones I know. My own club often selects venues based on the petrol costs of travelling members and not so much on the quality of the chosen lake. Whilst I do understand that cost are important, to me its no good saving £20 on petrol to waste a day on a venue that is not fit for purpose.
    Imagine your spring league has been very well contested over 9 of the 10 matches then 2 of the league leaders have drawn on on pegs oin the corner you describe. Its not on frankly and my advice is check venues and owners out carefully before you commit your hard earned.
    If in doubt a quick post on here asking about venues normally gets a good response.

Shame the club A.S. had a hard match debris blown onto lake from the large amount of willow trees the day before their match.The previous days match was won with over 100lbs ,therefore it cant be as crap as you are alleging.Dead fish began to appear Sunday night after the match all of this due to stress levels.lack of oxygen,keepnets,spawning and the tremendous heat.If there were dead fish present nobody reported it.All the dead fish have now been taken out and aerators and water pumps are now present and working Ive visited quite a few fisheries in the area and all of them have have had the same type of problem! No perch,pike and tench have been found dead hence the deaths must be related to spawning activities as these fish breed a lot earlier.The fishery is not the usual commercial water with overstocking so you can bag up everytime to put a keepnet in,you have to think how to catch them!!!!!!!!! I I will be fishing there again as i know a good day can be had !

TF_gazer

i was not having ago about how the place fished god knows our club has managed to avoid catching big bags of fish at some of the better known bagging venues in the area[ makins packington boddie clatercote to name but afew]it seams we are constantly a day or a week late[ you should have been here yesterday 🙂 🙂 ]its how your treated or how it appears you are treated as an example we once had a match on i think it was anchor pool at makins which at time was a silver fish pool it was dire and yes there were moans and grumbles but bwb owned it at the time heard how bad it was and gave us a free match on the complex on a pool of our choice now thats good customer service and lets remember we are paying customers

TF_CriagH66

Sorry stillwater, having none of it.

Dead fish had been there some time judging by the state of bloating and decomposition and the associated stench.

Pegs in that corner of the lake had to be left out of the previous days competition for the very reasons I highlighted in my original post – an open of some importance.

The caliber of angler in ASAC is on a par with any local open matchman – we are the local matchmen – fishing opens and leagues throughout the country with some success. Don’t give me this “you have to think how to catch them!!!!!!!!! ” bullsh*t, the lake fished crap.

I might be Match Secretary but the decision not to return to Mill On The Soar was overwhelmingly voiced by all that fished – even the winner.

On a positive note – glad to hear some action has been taken to improve the general condition of the fishery and more importantly the fish welfare.

TF_caster rob
    Participant

Always likely to happen when ctaching fish in the close season that should be left to spawn in peace.

Just loading bullets for the anti’s to fire.

TF_peanut

stillwater said

Dead fish began to appear Sunday night after the match all of this due to stress levels.lack of oxygen

enough said poor fishery management imo last time i fished it the owner seemed to be more interested when the pub opened and was half cut at weigh in

TF_hydrotone

i called in friday evening on my way back to northampton after work,i agree there were dead fish present then and a stench was present,at the end of the day the fishery has already lost a booking for next year and i run a small club in northampton and what i saw does put you off, i no its the dreaded spawning time and problems will happen,however my club fished on alders at shearsby valley the match fished hard due to spawning fish and there wassurface gunk blown into 1 corner,and we did spot 1 dead fish that was quickly removed by the owner nick,i would like to thank nick and his wife for a great day at a brilliant fishery ,a good breakfast,helped out with pegging and even an apoligy that some of the lads struggled,the lads of kingsmill ac will be returning next year without a doubt, after what i saw at the mill on the soar itotally agree with the comments of the above club there loss !!!

@johnh wrote:

My own club often selects venues based on the petrol costs of travelling members and not so much on the quality of the chosen lake. Whilst I do understand that cost are important, to me its no good saving £20 on petrol to waste a day on a venue that is not fit for purpose.

JohnH I 100% agree with that comment!

I do however realise the match secretaries out there are on a hiding to nothing. Members vote to keep costs down then are not happy with the quality of fishing. Its a real balancing act to try to accommodate all sides……hence I am now in a number of clubs and can be more selective where I fish!!!

TF_Slider

Who is more at fault here.

The fishery owner

Or

The anglers who sat down to fish what was clearly an unfishable lake ?

I think each person needs to have a think about why they sat and fished if the venue was in such a state, surely the best course of action would have been to tell the fishery owner that you would not be fishing that day due to the situation and go and fish elswhere !

I honestly beleive fishery owners should close the gates to commercial fisheries for the week of spawning, for the fish and the customers benefit !

TF_JohnH

Its worse than you think Ian. As a few of the poorest dont work they have sneeky mid week visits to some of these venues. Usually they have the place to themselves and bag up. Come the weekend match they are all excited and run to their pegs and catch next to nothing and wonder why!!
    In the end they spend more in fuel that picking a decent venue to start with.
    Placing 25 anglers on a 30 peg hole in the ground equals misery for most.

TF_CriagH66

Slider.
    You must live in a very privileged part of the world where 26 anglers can switch venue on the morning of the match. I presume the local commercial venues have very little weekend match pressure. Round my way you need to book venues 9 to 12 months in advance to secure sufficient pegs for the club.
    Perhaps we should have abandoned the league and sat in the pub with the fishery owner and
    had a think about what life was all about.
    JohnH.
    Not so green behind the ears after booking and organising matches for some years now. 38 peg venue for 26 anglers. Closed the book at 26 and turned others away. Corner pegs, tight pegs left out – ample room on the fishery had it not been for the 6 pegs where the water was covered in floating debris and dead fish.
    Well aware of the fact a prolific 100lb midweek pleasure venue will only provide half that as a potential winning weight on a match – that’s half the challenge for any respectable match angler on a commercial or natural venue; beating the rest of the field on a fishery under match pressure.

Sorry, no excuses for poor fishery management.

TF_Slider

Its not about living in a priveledged part of the world. its no different here. Venues book a year in advance.

You are missing my point.

Its easy to blame the fishery manager/owner ( and they clearly do need to do a much better job ) but you as the customer must also take some responsibility.

Would you go swimming in a swimming pool that had dirty water ?
    Would you eat in a restaurant where the tables were piled with the last customers plates ?

Anglers sometimes just dont help themselves !

TF_CriagH66

As a customer I make the choice to make the issue public and forewarn others. Also to remove this venue from the 2013 ASAC Spring League and take our business to local fisheries where owners put in the time and effort to maintain fishery standards and customer satisfaction.

Well you have put me off ever going there CraigH66,so in that respect your post worked.

TF_DILLON

Yet again a fisherman blaming the water he fished ?
    i fished the mill on the soar thursday and had a good day with carp to 12lb and over 40 little carp in the 10oz bracket as well as small skimmers and a few larger bream to 3lb i fished the pole with cornand kept changing to 6mm banded pellet to try and getrid of the small carp

i am a match man who has got through to the shimano east midlands final which is being held on there on monday this is 30 pegs which is in its 4th year and the final has been there ever year if you ask the person running it why he puts it on the mill he will says that its a fair venue with mixed fishing and the weights won,t be stupidly high so it will be a close match for all
    the east midlands champion has most of leicestershires top rods in the final

the only othrt comment i will add is why dose the fishery owner not know any ting about your unhappy days fishing from the club as i asked him yesterday about your comments andabout your match and her was shocked to say the least that a club such as yours didnot express any concern about your day andsome members even thanked him for the day

carp carp
    Participant

re comment in reply still water junior member. re mill on the soar name and shame. there is not and never has been any aerators or pumps of any kind at the mill on the soar. obviously you have not been to the fishery and seen for yourself so WHY LIE.if you use mill on the soar it should be in your own interest to know that the fish stocks are being looked after as they are the reason for it all,

sorry carp carp junior member i can confirm that 3 different types of pumps were installed at the mill o s fishery.i know that for a fact as i know who put them there installed and where he got them from as they they were borrowed from another local fishery who was willing to oblige.pumps have now been removed as fishery back to normal eg oxygen levels upto limit plenty of water in lake so instead of bitching an trying to get places a bad name GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. ALL THE BEST AND HAPPY ANGLING

TF_DILLON

i can 100% tell you that 3 pumps were used from tuesday night to thursday going all day and night until the owner sorted out the pipes from the river soar which feed it giving it fresh water and movement if you sore the flow of water coming in on sunday and monday morning you would have needed a stich float to fish peg 25 this was closed of on monday at 7.30 for the match and was left closed for the tuesday match the inlet valve is not opened at 1/4 flow to give a steady flow of fresh water this also drains out at around peg 9 ensuring a steady stream of water ( but granted this was not working when the club attended the venue and sould had been done sooner tiswas poor fishing managment by the owner but this still should not give the lake poor rep it is still a good fair match venue its nota bagging water in any shape or form

I don’t know the venue or any of the people that have commented on the thread, but what I would say is that the words of those who have defended the fishery would carry a lot more weight if it didn’t appear that they had just joined the forum/started posting for that single purpose.

hi kagger tnb i really get what you mean the reason i joined was to put forward some sort of defence of the lake any other posts i was interested in i let my son who has been a member of total fishing for years take the reason,question or whatever he dealt with it this time tho my son never saw the lake in its condition so i and another joined to get our point over the moaning etc plus the bad language been used worries me as younger kids get on this site they read it then hear it at matches,tackle shops etc so to conclude very interesting site tagger keep up yur good work

TF_kerryd

@stiillwater wrote:

hi kagger tnb i really get what you mean the reason i joined was to put forward some sort of defence of the lake any other posts i was interested in i let my son who has been a member of total fishing for years take the reason,question or whatever he dealt with it this time tho my son never saw the lake in its condition so i and another joined to get our point over the moaning etc plus the bad language been used worries me as younger kids get on this site they read it then hear it at matches,tackle shops etc so to conclude very interesting site tagger keep up yur good work

I see nothing wrong with defending some thing that you believe to be true now for the but when people purchase something be it piece of fishing gear or bait or even a fishing peg they quite rightly expect value for money spent and on this occasion the paying customer feels that he hasn’t had value.
    I feel that any issue with the venue should have been raised at the time giving the fishery owner the chance to do something about it(along the lines of closing the fishery there and then and giving the club a refund).
    If the venue was in as poor a state as suggested then 5 more hours in keep nets for the resident fish would not have improved things.
    I have been in the situation of sorting out venues for matches and the guy doing all the work will always be on a loser in cases like this
    kerryd

TF_JohnH

I can see where you are coming from Kerry but its easier said than done. I organise matches and sometimes we have fished when spawning activity was underway. Even in the old days of close season many fish spawned in July.
    Try telling 30 anglers with their £20 worth of perishable baits each that we are not fishing.
    I think the name and shame was all about warning others. The fishery seem to have been provoked into action to sort things out which is also good. Any club thinking of booking this venue and any other for that matter need to check things out for themselves. Buyer beware is a good motto.

TF_kerryd

@johnh wrote:

I can see where you are coming from Kerry but its easier said than done. I organise matches and sometimes we have fished when spawning activity was underway. Even in the old days of close season many fish spawned in July.
    Try telling 30 anglers with their £20 worth of perishable baits each that we are not fishing.
    I think the name and shame was all about warning others. The fishery seem to have been provoked into action to sort things out which is also good. Any club thinking of booking this venue and any other for that matter need to check things out for themselves. Buyer beware is a good motto.

John
    you have hit the nail on the head with your comment “Try telling 30 anglers with their £20 worth of perishable baits each that we are not fishing”
    This statement holds true for both the match organiser and the fishery owner (that is giving him credit for knowing he had a problem).
    complaining after the fact is the thing I object to.
    I fished one venue which I will not name and the first thing on stepping out of my car was to be bitten by the fishery owners dog we then were expected to eat breakfast in the room that the dogs slept in.
    After cleaning a cup in a sink that still had dishes of dog food in we were given a cup of tea.
    It was our choice to stay and fish this venue and having traveled 40 miles to this venue and spending £20 on bait and £20 on the match entry ( this included breakfast !!) thats what we did (I didn’ eat or drink by the way)

kerryd.

TF_JohnH

I have seen plenty of venues like that Kerry!!
    Breakfast for some is an important consideration. Our club will select venues based the quality of food as well as the quality of fishing.
    Personally I wont risk any of it, the bacon is in the oven whilst the car is loaded.

TF_fishy666

Yes I think im going to name and shame STILL WATER! Listen fella get your facts right there has never ever been a pump of any type installed in the mill, numberoone because the guy that runs the place ain’t got the will power to get off his arse to install them even though all his electricity is free from the pub, and number 2 iv fished that place for years in the Tuesday league and never never never ever has a pump been hooked up! He was given one and it’s still sitting in his metal cabin still today! Just wantedto put you in yyour place and on another note why would a fishery that size need to use 3 pumps, ,,were theyfor a fish tank or something? The only flow that lake gets is from the river sour when the valve is open and even the owner does not know where that is! So all in all go cast your feeder up the tree because it sound’s to me like you just don’t have a clue.

TF_Paddy

These posts are 4 years old ????

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.