Miserable tackle shop service

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Miserable tackle shop service

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TF_cugsy 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

It will be a sad fact of life, but at sometime, People will NOT know how to talk to each other face to face, Social Media & the Internet are substitutes for real conversation.

Many of these shops, not peculiar to Angling, do so much on-line these days they do not know how to deal with “Real Customers” anymore.

I imagine the higher end suppliers do so much on line these days real customers, who may need “Service” are just a pain in the ass for them.

It would be worth knowing if any put “Customer Service” training into their staff anymore…doubt it., my local doesn’t but he is waking up to it now.

How many meaningful conversations do we have with the younger generation outside of the immediate family? If it’s not on a dammed APP they know nowt about it !!!

TF_CriagH66

Young people not wanting to talk to grumpy, moany, old men???
    “I don’t belieeeeve it”

Obviously pulled the original topic here, however not all Old Men are miserable Old Gits

I suppose we see Young ‘Uns as Cheeky Gits as well,

Somewhere in the middle is the truth for the majority of us, but it’s “Good to Talk”

My firends young lad (16) really fancied a local girl, went down to her house, wouldn’t go to the door as too shy, so he sits outside and Texts her, even though they can see each other through the window they have the conversation by text, I wonder did the ever??

Bizzare

I try not to judge people on the first occasion as any one can be having a bad day.
    Some of the shop keepers forget that first impressions can be important and forget they are in the service industry.
    It costs them repeat custom in some cases.

Some tackle shop owners / staff have the characters of mice and are very rude, I don’t see the point in this your giving them money :confused:

TF_JohnH

By complete contrast I saw some items yesterday on Nathans of Derby web site ditto Veals of Bristol. All arrived safely at my work today in Sheffield. Excellent service IMO.
    Thank you.

TF_CriagH66

Kev and Mick at Attleborough Angling Center Nuneaton always greet with a cheery “hello” or “bonjour.”
    Staff at Lanes Bait in Coventry are also excellent.

My sons mates, 15 and 16 years of age, whether BMX or Rugby crowd always have plenty to say for themselves. Great bunch of lads. Proper cheeky, but wouldn’t have it any other way.

Must be a Midlands thing.

TF_cugsy

I’ll hold my hand up.It was my post. BUT – it was my missus who was upset at the ‘apparently’ poor customer service…or is that ‘alledgedly’? I have to be careful.
    She was quite put out at the ‘alledged’ lack of customer interaction in the shop and the ‘seemingly’ moody way that our money was taken. Alledgedly again.
    I felt that making some comments (which I did not deem slanderous but simply facts related to others) were what forums fed on. Obviously the naming of this shop has led to some issues and I have to question whether there’s the usual clique ….alledgedly! On the other hand, before I did post my comments I googled the same shop and its customer services. I found a post by a chap who had been dealt with badly (according to him and not me).
    Anyway,thats enough from me. I won’t enclose the email I got from shop owner but if he’s watching this or getting tip offs – alledgedly…from the forum bosses then I might just get another one. The funny thing is that I’ve had truly excellent service from Dragon Carp. I live a good distance from tackle shops and the 4 we’ve been in have been really friendly and not arsed if you want a pint of maggots or a float for a quid! Some of them,seriously,some of them have even given me advice. For free! Go figure.
    I’m going to log out now before I get banned..

TF_JohnH

No danger of a ban from where I am sitting. Quite right to raise this issue, all shops need to be aware that the most important person they ever deal with is the customer.
    That’s why the mass media is full of advertising, all trying to lure us to buy.

Agree totally with the thread, see and speak as you find dont you.

Also the shops endorsed here have been spot on for me as well, always follow up an on line order with a call through to the shop, build a bit of a relationship and banter with them

Surprising what a difference that call makes….

TF_geepster

The objection was very straightforward. A direct reference to Adrian’s mother which I acted upon. If you don’t like my decision that’s fine.

TF_baz-65
    Participant

I would not go so far as saying local shops are miserable, but the atmosphere does,nt seem the same as years ago. If a member of the local match clique are in, a smile is hard to obtain.
    Traveling 25 miles into birmingham, Fosters is of the old type of local shop.Eveyone is so friendly from the owners down to the assistants. Always lots of banter and laughs for everyone. Advice comes willing from very good anglers, about canals, rivers or commercials. also about any item of tackle . There are lots of tackle that you can try out. Even heard of them taking tackle home and trying before buying. Coffee or tea is always offered, as well as compliments of the day. Any problems with their tackle and they do their utmost to solve the problem with a smile not a snarl.
    Best of all, their prices are the best you can get, and they always match whatever is on the internet.
    Just like to say thank you for your service and lots of help we get from you.

I have to say that Tim Aplin of Matchman Supplies is always extremely helpful and friendly. Indeed, talking to him – confirms customer loyalty to his online service.

TF_cugsy

When I posted I had no names to mention because other than the young girl in there hardly a word was said. I just mentioned ‘an old woman’..
    Before we moved down here from Preston,we (even the wife who was always greeted pleasantly especially by Charlie who stank of bait) went into either Ted Carters – brilliant people all of them. Or Lostock Tackle with Paul and his ‘dad’.
    Maybe it’s the norf sarf divide? Funny how fate takes you. I thought I was in a wonderful toy store but all the elves were sad 🙂 As I said, it was my missus who was concerned by what she called ‘absolute rudeness’.
    Bye

TF_Lina12

@Time Traveller wrote:

It will be a sad fact of life, but at sometime, People will NOT know how to talk to each other face to face, Social Media & the Internet are substitutes for real conversation.

Many of these shops, not peculiar to Angling, do so much on-line these days they do not know how to deal with “Real Customers” anymore.

I imagine the higher end suppliers do so much on line these days real customers, who may need “Service” are just a pain in the ass for them.

It would be worth knowing if any put “Customer Service” training into their staff anymore…doubt it., my local doesn’t but he is waking up to it now.

How many meaningful conversations do we have with the younger generation outside of the immediate family? If it’s not on a dammed APP they know nowt about it !!!

Totally agree with you specially agree with your point that “People will NOT know how to talk to each other face to face, Social Media & the Internet are substitutes for real conversation.”

TF_robbiesch

I buy nearly everything online much easier and you don’t have to talk to anyone!

In fact just had a delivery from Benwicks this morning that was delivered within 4hrs of ordering – everything i needed online delivered super fast – that’s good customer service for me.

For me “On-Line” works well and the only issues you get are the Brands that supply the shops (usually)

BUT remember all you internet addicts ……. you need your local shop, where will you get good fresh bait, who gets you a few casters on cold Winter weeks when yours don’t turn, where can you go to get away from ‘er indoors for a couple of hours ……. and those little bits an pieces you forgot to get on-line….?

The small shops are just as important…. beware,..USE THEM or LOSE THEM ….. you know I’m right !

TF_rjays

robbiesch….What did you order to get within 4hrs…or do you live next door?..impossible to get through post in such a short time frame…or did you have items courriered?

TF_robbiesch

@rjays wrote:

robbiesch….What did you order to get within 4hrs…or do you live next door?..impossible to get through post in such a short time frame…or did you have items courriered?

48 hours. Sometimes 4 hrs if the carrier pigeon is fast

TF_cugsy

I agree about the local tackle shop point. But I don’t really have one – nearest is about 15 miles away. What I have found though, is a superb little fishery where I’ve been 3 times and its been a hoot! Great fishing including today. The other good thing is that Trev who runs the fishing and the little Aladdins cave full of tackle is old school. Free advice, a warm welcome and quality bait. If anyone’s interested its Besthorpe by Attleborough. And most importantly for the wife,they have a farm shop and the bird feed is a bargain. Shame he doesn’t sell Lug!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.