Nylon or Braid mainline, whats best

Home Forums Fishing Carp Fishing Nylon or Braid mainline, whats best

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TF_adolfainsley8 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

TF_Paul-H

Hi Guys

I have just started fishiong again, after a ten year break.

One quick (Hopefully) question

Whats best for Carp fishing, Nylon or Braid main line.

10 years ago braid was in fashon but what about now, I have been watch some of the newer fishing programs and it looks like every one has gone back to Nylon, is that correct.

If so what is wrong with braid, or did nylon get much better in the last 10 years.

My line is 10 years old Berkley so needs changing, so just checking whats best to get.

Is there a reason my local tackle shop is selling braid with a 50% discount but nylon is still full price.

Thanks for any help as money is a bit tight and I want to make the correct choice first time.

If it matters I only fish gravel pits that have weedy bottoms

Paul

TF_D.W.

Horses for courses really. If you need to cast extreme distances then a thin braid would be better suited to your needs. If you need to cast moderate distances but want the line to hug the lake bed hard and fish with slack lines, then a sinking braid like Nash Bullet Braid or Ultima sinking braid would be good choices. For general purpose use, a good quality mono would be a better choice such as Korda SubLine as it sinks and casts well.
    If you want the line to last longer but be a good all rounder, then a fluorocarbon such as Korda’s Kontour would be a better choice as it sinks like a brick and casts extremely well, but it needs to be looked after to get the best out of it. After every session it is best to cast it out as far as you can and to wind it back through a damp rag to clean it (flourocarbons attract water borne particles more than mono’s). I also at the end of each session (or beginnning of a new session) is to remove my rig from the fluorocarbon and walk it out as far as I an along the bank, and reel it back onto the spool through a damp rag to clean it as well as to remove any twist that may have built up in the line. This keeps the flourocarbon in optimum condition and as it is not affected by UV light like mono’s, it should easily last a season, and at the end of the season, I would reel it onto a spare spool to reverse it so the unused fresh line is used from there on, and it is then like a fresh new spool of line. Not cheap at around £20 per reel but the benefits are there to be made use of and instead of changing mono’s every few months, you save money.

TF_adolfainsley8
    Participant

For general purpose use, a good quality mono would be a better choice such as Korda SubLine as it sinks and casts well????

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.