Quality River Matchfishing

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Quality River Matchfishing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TF_paulnewell 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Dave Harrell will soon give Riverfest venues the chop . if he thinks they don’t measure up . Not an easy task given the poor choice of class fishing available . Let’s face it those of us all remember that Bream venues are very Peggy affairs . Specially where the blighters average 5lbs apiece !! What it’s obvious we are missing is those three main species of matchfish , Chub, Roach , and Dace . Also many of the old haunts on the upstream Avon are now not fished , Twyford Farm . The old Hilborough stretch , Stratford , Luddington and The Grove farm and Hampton Lucy stretches . Study how many Riverfest matches have been won with big bags of Bream and this tells a story . However there is some good news . The thames around Oxford , The Upper Trent , And some I’ve missed have produced some good results . Personally we need to steer clear of these Peggy venues . Mark Harper reckons the Crane on the Bristol Avon to be much more a Roach affair . Not easy but Daves passion will shine through . 🙂 🙂 🙂

TF_GLEBE1

I thought all you river purists weren’t bothered about the fact that big fish dominate most river matches from the same pegs week in week out or has the penny only just dropped??
    Now your talking about leaving out peggy venues! I thought that was part of river fishing??

Fairly confident you fish commercials . Please read no 11 on riverfest at Eckington . That gives you the reason behind the post . You sound like you think you know what we want ? Stick to what your requirements are ! Meanwhile some purists will give their twopeneth worth . Good or bad . bring it on . 😀 😀 😀

TF_GLEBE1

@paulnewell wrote:

Fairly confident you fish commercials . Please read no 11 on riverfest at Eckington . That gives you the reason behind the post . You sound like you think you know what we want ? Stick to what your requirements are ! Meanwhile some purists will give their twopeneth worth . Good or bad . bring it on . 😀 😀 😀

Yes I fish commies,have done for the last 15 years but prior to that I spent many more years team fishing rivers all over the country,walking 3 fields before I even met water, moving my kit up the banks as the rivers swelled etc etc.
    River fishing isn’t that far removed from commie fishing, you need to draw a flier and catch big fish to win. Just find it slightly ironic that peggy venues are now being dropped when you hear anglers that have persevered with the rivers look down their noses at anglers that just want a days fishing and moved to commies!!

I used to fish Tunnel Barn Farm 2 to 3 times a week because it was not a big fish , Luck of the draw place that you talk of . indeed over my now considerable years on the circuit I have always been on the look out for the types of venue that gave a bigger percentage of winning pegs . Most of the top match anglers I think would agree . Many older disillusioned match anglers end up on carp venues ! Nothing wrong with that . Only thing is . Those that say they are only there for a day out have usually lost the plot and win nought . Move on to a venue that has masses of F1 hybrids , They are usually less Peggy . Of course you will need 3 keep nets . And be fit and good eneough to win . Meanwhile us River Anglers , not Purists will try and direct matches onto something that looks as if a serious competition has taken place . You do your thing and let this discussion blossom into something educational . 😉

TF_AKMEGAJ
    Participant

I was also that match Saturday and in the section won with a big carp! I hope the Avon match is back at Evesham next year. We’ll not catch anywhere near the average weight of Saturday (I threw back 5lb which could qualify at Evesham!) but imo more pegs will be in contention.

I was in that 20 peg section also . The old boy from the organising club was counting my winnings before we tackled up . He was certain I was bang on in the right peg . He must have seen the place change since I was there some 25yrs ago because just below the railway bridge was always crap when I went . Bless him he only wanted me to feel good . Bloody good carp wasn’t it to win our zone , not what we expected . Sorry can’t get excited about Evesham , That venue would have more of a contest , but there is much better fishing than that . It only requires thinking about . :rolleyes: 😉

@glebe1 wrote:

@paulnewell wrote:

Yes I fish commies,have done for the last 15 years but prior to that I spent many more years team fishing rivers all over the country,walking 3 fields before I even met water, moving my kit up the banks as the rivers swelled etc etc.
    River fishing isn’t that far removed from commie fishing, you need to draw a flier and catch big fish to win. Just find it slightly ironic that peggy venues are now being dropped when you hear anglers that have persevered with the rivers look down their noses at anglers that just want a days fishing and moved to commies!!

That’s some statement, and I can only say, not in Norfolk.

A match last weekend on the Thurne was won with 54lb of mainly roach. 46lb was only good enough for 5th in one section.

Ok, that isn’t the norm, but it’s always on the cards.

This summer and last on the Yare, I’ve had an average weight of 15lb+, with that consisting of mostly roach weights. This summer I had one skimmer weight, 23lb, the rest of the time I fished for roach.

There is some awesome river fishing out there if you take your blinkers off…

TF_GLEBE1

@kagger TNB wrote:

@glebe1 wrote:

@paulnewell wrote:

That’s some statement, and I can only say, not in Norfolk.

A match last weekend on the Thurne was won with 54lb of mainly roach. 46lb was only good enough for 5th in one section.

Ok, that isn’t the norm, but it’s always on the cards.

This summer and last on the Yare, I’ve had an average weight of 15lb+, with that consisting of mostly roach weights. This summer I had one skimmer weight, 23lb, the rest of the time I fished for roach.

There is some awesome river fishing out there if you take your blinkers off…

I said “isn’t that far removed” not exactly the same, as already stated it’s not the case on all commercials either. I wish your examples were the norm!!Brilliant sport!!
    Roach fishing is the best there is in my opinion but you don’t see many matches WON with them,normally it’s the deep wide bend that throws the resident Bream or the sunken boat or fallen tree that throws Chub and Barbel
    It was the first round of my local W/L last weekend that I used to fish in the good old days, guess what,11 Chub won it off a peg that is the same flyer that it was 15 years ago!
    Big fish or Bust was one of the reasons why commies took off.

I was also in that zone (peg 20) where big si deacon caught the carp. Fair play to him, it took him 30 mins to land it and i couldn’t have been happier for him after the match.

Personally i had a right moan when it was moved from evesham to eckington, but i enjoyed it.. far more than i thought. The pegs was good, the walk wasn’t hard and the fishing was half decent. Yes, some had a poor day but that’s to be expected. You pay you’re money, you take you’re chances.

TF_CriagH66

Winter Commercial matches are a total lottery on 90% of the countries venues. Draw on the fish and frame if you have an ounce of capability about you.
    Winter river fishing is a challenge, Barbel will not feed on a cold low river, nor bream and it takes a good angler to catch chub. Perch are becoming a money fish on many venues backed up with whatever else you can winkle out . Turn the tables and on a flooded river barbel and bream can show up most anywhere and though eels are something of a rarity these days – always on the cards; a brand new challenge catching fish with 2 foot on and chocolate brown. It’s only the days when the river is absolutely cock on that the known pegs throw up in my experience. River fish move around lots, miles in some instances. On the Winter Commy the regulars can pinpoint the fish to a matter of square yards and they stay there for months.
    Catching 8-10lb of roach, perch and gudgeon on the Avon might not get you the match but you’ll be in the money. I believe I can compete for section money of any peg on most river events, more than I can say for commercials.
    The only good thing to come from Winter commercials is the growing number of silver fish only events. Great fishing on a reasonably even playing field.

Some of what you say makes sense . Only bit is where you say the fish are spread on a 2ft up chocolates river . 1st , 2nd , and 3rd were next to each other on Riverfest at Upton upon Severn and also on the Avon at Eckington . This was only proven by giving them a trial run . This mass herding up of fish is down to the gin clear conditions we had for months on end plus untold amounts of predators . For me personally I think we need to be on the look out for a different type of venue . Riverfest already has a number of venues that produce a test of skills . It’s an on going task and ime sure Dave Harrell and the Angling Trust will do their best in improving where possible . 🙂

Save for the upper Avon , obviously decimated by cormorants , all other rivers look to be in as good a nick as they have ever been . Paul will remember winter leagues at Corpus Christie where three quarters of anglers blanked on a decent river…in fact in one 100 peg winter league at Eckington I seen to remember 2lb something framing (it was bloody cold tho)

Point i’m making I suppose is that it’s easy to look back with rose tinted specs on !!

During the 16 yrs I spent carp crunching a river circuit carried on . Some anglers I remember not winning much have improved .!!! A little 😀 And also some of the ones too young to remember have got to grips with what’s on offer . Pole Feeder . Pellet Feeder , Flat Floats . When I left these methods were unheard of . Recently I fished the festival on the thames . Medley , Cullum and Abingdon . Rod and Reel was only a very small part of the job . Whilst it took between 12 and 20lbs of skimmers , roach and perch to frame or win . You would still need to catch 7lbs to come halfway in a ten peg section ! This for me is something nearer to competition fishing !!! The river Soar impressed me greatly and Joffs dead chuffed I don’t live closer 😉 Also spotted Shrewsbury may be worth a look , and the Roachy stretches of the Bristol Avon . Remember also , time of year greatly affects the sport to be had . 🙂 🙂 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.