River matches – what would it take

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing River matches – what would it take

This topic contains 67 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  TF_Katarino 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Since many rivers in this country are fishing as well, if not better, than at any time in my experience (which goes back nearly 30 years of open match fishing).

If you don’t currently participate in many/any river matches – what would it take to get you back on the rivers?
    eg.
    chance of ton-up weights
    short walks
    toilets
    cafe
    bait bill
    petrol costs
    appropriate tackle

TF_mrrbpoole

There is definitely a great deal of interest in a return to natural venues in the midlands area. I have a friend who is going to run a number of matches on the trent next year where cost will be kept to a minimum and you can park behind your peg. They are two of the things that are important to people at the moment, anglers who are not chasing the big money but want to fish for roach without walking the miles that we use to. Sounds good to me. 🙂

TF_geepster

All it would take for me is a thriving little circuit near to where I live and more time in my life. I would love to fish the Severn matches but I’m in Peterborough and the Severn ain’t.

TF_ziggy169

@mrrbpoole wrote:

There is definitely a great deal of interest in a return to natural venues in the midlands area. I have a friend who is going to run a number of matches on the trent next year where cost will be kept to a minimum and you can park behind your peg. They are two of the things that are important to people at the moment, anglers who are not chasing the big money but want to fish for roach without walking the miles that we use to. Sounds good to me. 🙂

Would be interested in this if it comes off. Can you keep us informed of dates etc?

cheers

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Probably a whole new outfit of tackle for me so no, its too different to commercial fishing some will say you can use your existing set up for rivers but I no longer have closed faced reels, stick floats, platforms, waders, heavy feeder rods the list goes on and on.

40 years too late eh Geeps?

I noticed a couple of decent matches with Dace weights at Wansford in the autumn …. maybe there’s hope?
    I haven’t been on the Nene in years, but I guess it’s horribly weeded most of the time?

TF_gunta

Thin those pike out, 3 matches out of 7 have been ruined by pike .

Anthony waters ….. these days I have accumulated the kit to meet most challenges …. but I’m sure that i caught as much 80% of the time back in the mid 80s when I carried two float rods and a 9’6″ swingtip rod 😉

I do know what you mean – not wanting to turn up and feel hopelessly outgunned.

TF_caster rob
    Participant

That 9′ 6″ swing-tip rod.

Wouldn’t have been a green Lerc blank, same as I built mine on?

Anonymous

Rivers are my first real love in fishing. That might shock a few people. I still get a few pleasure days on the Ribble, Dane and Seven every year and enjoy every bit of it. The only thing i would need is for there to be river matches within reasonable travelling distance of Liverpool. Gone are the days of getting the club coach to a river match almost every Sunday on those rivers. Did try to organise some small river matches a few years ago with a club i was involve with but there was no interest.

Rob – green blank yes ….. made up by “golden-green”, whoever they were. I remember taking nearly 2 hours to choose it in Ken Dixon’s shop in Bedford …. caught me a few bream in those days, along with a fair few chub on the upper Great Ouse. Later on I had Barbel to double figures on it too!

Gunta – where are you getting piked to death like that?

TrueBlue – I can certainly appreciate that, for many, river matches are less accessible. I’m lucky enough to have a job that means I don’t need to worry about petrol costs for travelling an hour to fish a river match. I guess Weaver or the Dane would be nearest for you? or perhaps the Dee at Farndon? Not many matches on those these days!

Anonymous

Only one open match each month on the Dane. Was asked not to come back after winning 4 on the trot. The Dee at Chester is my closest river venue but dont think there are any opens on the Dee anymore. Chester, Farndon and Eccleston use to be a great match venues in there day and are still fishing well. I dont class the Weaver as a river (a big deep canal in my opinion) but there are regular matches on it. Not seen a match on the Ribble around Preston for 15 years. I use to know that river like the back of my hand 25 years ago. Some huge fish in that river including potential records. Still plenty of match sized chub, roach and quality dace to target in matches if only match type anglers would fish it. Its a 2 hours trip for me to get to the River Seven where there is any kind of regular river matches these days.

Yep – and Shrewsbury’s not really worth it at the moment …. and I can only take so much feeder flinging like Bridgnorth or Bewdley.

An hour 40 is about my limit (Hereford, Shrewsbury, Newark and March are all there or thereabouts depending on traffic).

Mind you, only 3 or 4 years since I was pegged between Mark Addy and Swinno at Shrewsbury, so let’s hope that river recovers from its current problems.

And as for asking you not to come back after winning 4 on the trot, well that just makes it not an Open match in my eyes ….

TF_geepster

I stumbled across Alan Barnes on Facebook the other day who had been catching ‘crumpers’ (big roach) on the Ribble. I used to fish the River Nene opens above Orton Lock with him some 20 years ago now… Them were the days even framed on the stick float once although even then it was pretty much all pole.. Someone tried to get some going in the summer but I think less than ten turned up….

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

@nocarpplease wrote:

Anthony waters ….. these days I have accumulated the kit to meet most challenges …. but I’m sure that i caught as much 80% of the time back in the mid 80s when I carried two float rods and a 9’6″ swingtip rod 😉

I do know what you mean – not wanting to turn up and feel hopelessly outgunned.

True, Ive sacked most of my river stuff off, I used to have platforms for fishing in Ireland loads of big 3 & 4 gram rigs waders, I dont even own a barbed hook or a pair of waders anymore!

I’ve found that it just takes someone to get off their backside and organise it and people will come. Ran 2 mid-week matches on the Thames at Windsor earlier in the year bookable through this site and MFS and had 29 fish the first one and 19 the 2nd. (would have been more but was too short notice for people to book time off work).

Everyone was asking for more but we were guests on a club-stretch and it needed to be discussed with the members.

Have a look at the results threads if nothing else below to see the quality of the fishing. Threads here.

http://www.total-fishing.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56415 (look at the list on the last page to see who was interested from here)

Results http://www.total-fishing.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56850

Another thread here http://www.total-fishing.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56867

Results of that one

http://www.total-fishing.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=57036

Rick Baxter

to me in leicestershire its black or white 😉 easy access parking behind your peg and don’t spread the pegs out 40yards apart competitive fishing is about trying to win whether its 3lb or 23lb
    you only have to look at the interest this year towards silverfish matches on commercials most of theses anglers are your older river and canal fishermen
    cut the walks down and easy access simple as 😉 😉
    although we have a very good river here in the river soar and canal we still don’t get much support now-er days and i think silverfish commercials have probably done more damage to our natural venues than the carp side
    i for one now look for a commercial silverfish match as much as i do natural venues 😉

@mrrbpoole wrote:

Where will they be?

Anonymous

There is a very goood Trent circuit on the Newark waters from June to October – only an hour up the A1 from Peterborough, and I believe there are more roach to be caught now than in the so called good old days.
    But yes you do have to walk to your peg, stand in the water, use maggots,rod and line, pee in the grass etc etc

TF_rjays

I fish the Avon at Evesham a lot, but I would just like a bit of colour in the river…even after all the recent rain we have had..the Severn rises seven foot plus…the Wye has risen 8ft plus and rivers around the country have burst their banks, however the Avon remains (as it has for months) One inch BELOW summer level and crystal clear!

I have 2 boxes, one for the R Yare and one for the commercials. Saves a lot of switching tackle about or worse finding that you have got method feeders and 3 foot rigs for the river. The walks are fairly short on the Yare as well, with no styles just the odd gate that you can push a trolley through as well. The most you have to do is about 33 pegs although that is enough on a hot summers day for a 60 year old like me. Some guys are well into their seventies that fish week in and week out. Some pegs are just up and over the flood bank but make sure that you go over a bridge over the dykes and not take a short cut through the reeds like a friend of mine did years ago!

Taking the kids to school this morning I crossed the Warwickshire Avon at Bretford and Wolston. There seemed a bit of water on but colour looks perfect. I might stick a rod in the car and have a go on Friday!

Anonymous

Yes – Tony Marshall did look round the room on a recent Newark Fed match and ask who he would be fishing against in 20 years time. Cruel but he does have a point – the average age of the anglers on the river matches I fish has to be well over 50.

TF_Suvverner

They should fill all the rivers with carp and all the canals with concrete !

@joffmiester wrote:

to me in leicestershire its black or white 😉 easy access parking behind your peg and don’t spread the pegs out 40yards apart competitive fishing is about trying to win whether its 3lb or 23lb
    you only have to look at the interest this year towards silverfish matches on commercials most of theses anglers are your older river and canal fishermen
    cut the walks down and easy access simple as 😉 😉
    although we have a very good river here in the river soar and canal we still don’t get much support now-er days and i think silverfish commercials have probably done more damage to our natural venues than the carp side
    i for one now look for a commercial silverfish match as much as i do natural venues 😉

very true Joff, On my matches I must be at 50 one of the youngest who fishes them.
    the walking has to be minimal for me too. i’d fish the Soar myself if the walk’s weren’t so bad.
    I would rather go on a match with lower weights cos you tend to feel that you are in the race all the way thru.

( and I’ve got a silvers match at Xmas on Hemmington on friday 30th if you’re free)

TF_gunta

nocarpplease , barford mate not many pegs away from you

Gunta – And I haven’t seen a pike!! as you know …. 🙂

Rjays – you’re right, the Avon has been painfully low nearly all year ….. the Severn and Wye are up because there’s been a lot of rain in Wales ….. not much in the Avon catchment where I live. Looks a bit better today as OOOTF says, but the forecast for the weekend is bitter!

RJM – those Newark matches are great – considering that the Trent was running gin clear most of the time the roach fishing was amazing.
    Tony said the same to me – that he’s taking wednesdays off to go fishing as much as possible – because in 10 years time the circuit won’t exist!

At the moment I’m lucky enough to be pretty fit (like Tony M I still carry an AS1 !) …. so the long walks don’t bother me too much, but looking at the age and health of a lot of anglers, I can see why they’re put off 🙁

TF_mrrbpoole

As I see it match fishing is starting to divide and commercials are becoming too expensive to fish for many. I fish a league at tunnel barn a great venue with plenty of bites, but as a team we paid a team entrance fee, all the pegging fees up front for the series and £20 a match pools. I’m not poor but at £26 a match plus bait etc it an expensive day. It is strictly a money chasing exercise for many of the anglers attending, they are from all over the country, the best individuals, forming teams of four, a who’s who of our best lads. With all due respect to them and I have a great deal believe me, something has got to give. the greater percentage of the field have a less than average chance lets be honest.
    For me accessible natural venues, comps with low entry fees and a few bites may be the answer, so i would welcome any advancements in this direction as a starter. We have some great natural venues but I think we have given up on them, the same money has not been invested, we could do more. I will follow this thread with interest 🙂

TF_mrrbpoole

@craftytafty wrote:

@mrrbpoole wrote:

Where will they be?

They will be on the Burton water , Cuttlebrook for one and similar. Alan Round is going to run them, he works out of Ians Tackle at Penkridge give him a ring.

TF_baitchef
    Participant

I was brought up and spent most of my 20’s and early 30’s around the Thames valley. Rivers and canals were all i fished from the Thames through to the Kennet and Avon and tributaries etc. As a kid it was always the free stretches, and sometimes the not so free stretches (cough). Later on I joined a couple of local clubs, then as i had less time I went back to the free stretches again. It was always pleasure fishing and I never fished a match on a river, my first match was on a commercial. Anyway, now I live in west Devon and the only river fishing locally is game fishing, which because of my job I can do whenever i want (on the river Tamar). But, honestly you never really appreciate what you have until its gone and I would give my left arm to be able to fish the rivers again for coarse fish.
    Back on topic and i think the thing that would be needed is size, A big match with many hundreds attending would be a very attractive proposition for many to enter. It would have to cheap though, to enter, and it would have to be well organised with coaches. You would have the buzz factor and i have a feeling people would travel, if they thought it might be worth it. I still think there is a lot of interest in river fishing and the styles that go with it, but there just isn’t any organisation prepared to put something together. This then just leads to club matches or little get togethers which is pretty much what happens week in week out on commercials.

TF_Suvverner

What people want is access, people dont want ot be leaving thier car on a country lane a mile away from their peg nowadays. Access and parking for rivers is awfull.

Also the bait bills are huge in comparison to a match on a lake, couple these things with the likelyhood of pretty poor fishing and you have your problem.

Silverfish matches on lakes are hugely popular, every decent angler is almost guaranteed bites and you will need 20lb plus to win, all within a short walk from your secure car and with a tenners worth of bait.

It makes me smile when people ( river anglers ) moan about commercials and how peggy they are, with the usual fliers. Rivers were no different, the bream or chub pegs always won but with a commercial everyone else gets a days fishing too along with the anglers on the fliers !

very true rivers and canals still have there areas and hot pegs with a lot of commercials [carp side] its one end or the other which is the same thing .like i said i think its the added interest to the silverfish side that has done a lot of damage to the winter river and canal fishing .plus whether we like it or not i can see theses low clear rivers are here to stay all it needs is easy access like the dyke but farmers and land owners just want too much money in fact they have probably had it too easy over the years
    tony marshell has had two or three really good years on rivers if he’d of been around in the 80s i’m sure he’d of been along side some of the greats .when we talk he’s always promoting river fishing its his life but he’s right in what he says another 10 years tops 🙁 🙁
    it will be interesting how everyone will view the national this year on the bristol avon unless the walks are cut down i can quite a few pulling out
    one other side to river fishing is the fact we have listened for too long about giving everyone space which have made the walking such a bind
    and in some respects some commercials are now giving a spare peg ,i was always brought up and told competition fishing is all about catching more than the next man whether its 3lb or 23lb the pots still the same at the end of the day 😉

TF_Suvverner

I like to have and give space on commericals, the fishing is better and when you are paying a tenner a peg or say 200 for a whole lake then peoples expectations are higher then say paying 3 quid a for a peg on a river or canal.

TF_clfletch

@suvverner wrote:

What people want is access, people dont want ot be leaving thier car on a country lane a mile away from their peg nowadays. Access and parking for rivers is awfull.

Also the bait bills are huge in comparison to a match on a lake, couple these things with the likelyhood of pretty poor fishing and you have your problem.

Silverfish matches on lakes are hugely popular, every decent angler is almost guaranteed bites and you will need 20lb plus to win, all within a short walk from your secure car and with a tenners worth of bait.

It makes me smile when people ( river anglers ) moan about commercials and how peggy they are, with the usual fliers. Rivers were no different, the bream or chub pegs always won but with a commercial everyone else gets a days fishing too along with the anglers on the fliers !

It really makes me smile when people have such misconceptions about river matches. I fish a lot of commercials, and it took me a while to get the hang of it. Even so I eventually qualified for the Maver Classic last year catching 137lb, my best match weight so far. Co- incidentally some of my longest walks have been at Larford, to the chalet bank – second only to the Wye at Breinton. The shortest walks I have had have been on the Trent at Newark and Burton, where you can park behind your peg on many sections.

As far as bait bills are concerned, Tony Marshall had all his roach weights in the summer on about 50 pence worth of hemp per match. The Wye is more expensive, but the huge bills you hear of are when people are really bagging-otherwise the stuff goes back in the fridge/freezer until next time.

To get the hang of rivers it takes perserverence, but I can understand those that want to stick with what they know. Will Raison got battered last year at the Burton festival, and he’s world class! Don’t be put off by tackle requirements though – your pole will be fine. You’ll just need a 13ft waggler rod and a 13ft feeder – standard equipment and cheap as hell these days – just look at the Shakespeare range. Any seat box with a foot plate and extending legs will also be fine, although many stand in the water.

What I’d like to see is at least one Fisho qualifier on a canal and another on a river, to bring some more balance back into the competition, even if the final remained on a commercial for televising purposes. To me it will remain a bit of a noddy event until this happens.

TF_clfletch

@suvverner wrote:

It really makes me smile when people have such misconceptions about river matches. I fish a lot of commercials, and it took me a while to get the hang of it. Even so I eventually qualified for the Maver Classic last year catching 137lb, my best match weight so far. Co- incidentally some of my longest walks have been at Larford, to the chalet bank – second only to the Wye at Breinton. The shortest walks I have had have been on the Trent at Newark and Burton, where you can park behind your peg on many sections.

As far as bait bills are concerned, Tony Marshall had all his roach weights in the summer on about 50 pence worth of hemp per match. The Wye is more expensive, but the huge bills you hear of are when people are really bagging-otherwise the stuff goes back in the fridge/freezer until next time.

To get the hang of rivers it takes perserverence, but I can understand those that want to stick with what they know. Don’t be put off by tackle requirements though – your pole will be fine. You’ll just need a 13ft waggler rod and a 13ft feeder – standard equipment and cheap as hell these days – just look at the Shakespeare range. Any seat box with a foot plate and extending legs will also be fine, although many stand in the water.

As far as pegginess goes, did you see the Fisho final this year???

What I’d like to see is at least one Fisho qualifier on a canal and another on a river, to bring some more balance back into the competition, even if the final remained on a commercial for televising purposes. To me it will remain a bit of a noddy event until this happens.

Everyone to their own preference I suppose …. but the walks on most rivers are not bad at all now (especially with the turnouts!!). With a barrow it must be really easy!
    Problem is that we all carry too much stuff that we hardly ever need. Certainly a 16m pole with multiple tops adds to the size of the rod bag!

Bait bills are usually not too bad …. In the summer I take 2 pints of casters (turned from last weeks maggots) and 3 pints of maggots (which mostly don’t et used) ….. a couple of pints of hemp, some worms and a bit of crumb. half a bag of micro pellets and some for the hhok in case of barbel. Most of that goes back in the fridge or dry store until the following week …… so really it’s 3 pints of maggots a match (£8 or so?) plus a few incidentals.

As to the quality of fishing ….. even with the rivers so low I’ve had over 9lb on 14 out of 22 matches this season …. plenty of bites most weeks as well since there have been very few big fish showing.

TF_badger
    Participant

I don’t reckon access is a problem, on the Trent for example there’s Burton Joyce, Caythorpe,Winthorpe & North Muskham where you can park behind your peg, there must be more like that across the country. In West Yorkshire the calder has a strong match scene but most of the competitors will be the top side of fifty. These guys work really hard to get results its not just a case of getting a rod out of a ready made rod holdall with a rig on it that you used last week the pegs can be so varied. Imo commercials have made fishing easier and we’ve (myself included) have become a bit lazy.So I can’t see a real switch back to river matches, while we have commercials on our door steps.
    Some times I think back to standing at the waters edge and running a stick or waggler down a swim and miss the experience like mad, will I ever go back to it I doubt it.

TF_Suvverner

Cfletch

It makes me smile that you assume I dont know what im talking about.

By and large access is bad on rivers, the trent seems different but I dont know as I have never fished it.

As for bait, you are dreaming if you think a river match is not expensive compared with a commercial match.

I have fished hundreds of river matches over many years and done very well in them too.

Typical bait list
    River
    2kg Gbait £7
    1/4 K Worm £6
    2 Pints Bronze £5
    1/2 Folouro Pinkie £1.50
    2 Pints caster £7
    Hemp £1
    TOTAL£ 27.50

Commercial
    2kg Method Mix/paste £8 ( unless you just use pellet from the sack which is about £3)
    8 pints pellet £4
    2 Tins corn £1
    TOTAL £13

I know a LOT of river anglers who no longer fish the river and the cost of bait is one thing we talk about.

@suvverner wrote:

Cfletch

It makes me smile that you assume I dont know what im talking about.

By and large access is bad on rivers, the trent seems different but I dont know as I have never fished it.

As for bait, you are dreaming if you think a river match is not expensive compared with a commercial match.

I have fished hundreds of river matches over many years and done very well in them too.

Typical bait list
    River
    2kg Gbait £7
    1/4 K Worm £6
    2 Pints Bronze £5
    1/2 Folouro Pinkie £1.50
    2 Pints caster £7
    Hemp £1
    TOTAL£ 27.50

Commercial
    2kg Method Mix/paste £8 ( unless you just use pellet from the sack which is about £3)
    8 pints pellet £4
    2 Tins corn £1
    TOTAL £13

I know a LOT of river anglers who no longer fish the river and the cost of bait is one thing we talk about.

river £3 pegging fee commercial £10 its not that much different

river soar has fished its head off for the last two or three years yet the only matches we have had is the winter league! why isn’t there a trent winter league anymore ! and why what opens are on the river trent not 50+ pegs there are no saturday matches like there used to be ,yet we have clubs still booking the river and probably getting 20+ pegs every week so something is at a miss .the newark lads have got it right

I’ve had very interesting discussions regarding the future and the past of fishing on this forum for over ten years but I have came to some conclusions relatively recently.

‘Fishing’ is becoming, in my very humble opinion, more of a business where the punter is coerced or forced to believe that the only way to fish is to fish with ‘x’ baits on a ‘y’ terminal tackle and if you don’t use ‘z’ brand anything else then frankly you wouldn’t look the part.

How many maggot farms are there? Two, three? Not much opportunity to exploit the market there.

A bag of groundbait however and the world is your oyster: Get a top angler to endorse your product and do a few articles with a bit of product placement (advertorials) and away you go at a minimum of £3 a bag profit!

The fishing tackle industry does not want anglers on canals or rivers as they cannot manipulate the venue to exploit as much money out of the punter as they can on the commercials.

But, cynicism aside, is fishing all about catching fish? Filling your net?

Keith Arthur said, “Would catching a one pound roach every put in be fishing Heaven or fishing Hell?”

Time was when you could fish a canal match and catch a bag full of bits and have a good day. 6oz roach took a bit of getting out and fishing the caster on the far bank of a canal with a waggler took skill but it was worth perservering and you ended up with a sense of achievement.

I can remember walking 50 or 60 pegs on the Oxford canal to see a winning catch of tench and a carp. Biggest fish was only 3lb but they weren’t very common at the time.

We carry too much gear and most of it we don’t need so taking it to your peg is a chore so the fun is gone before you start.

I remember vividly running a stick down the edge of The Avon at Evesham with water pressing my waders tight against my legs. A controlled strike and feeling that first nod of a dog roach or charge off of a chub…. Maybe even a bream kiting against the flow. THIS fish MATTERS! IF you get it out you may be well on the way to winning and the feeling of relief when it is in the bag: You don’t tend to get that feeling when you know that anything you could hook is coming out when you are fishing most commercials do you?

bye the way i’m not knocking anyone here as i feel i must start to turn to commercials myself before i really do get out of touch.just such a shame with all the years of watercraft learnt over the last 30 years i’m turning to commercials still i’m sure it will help 😉

TF_Suvverner

Joff, I turned to commercials about 5 years ago now, I realised the rivers were going downhill ( getting cleaner and slowrr )

It was a hard switch, my floats were all wrong, I had never seen elastic so thick and my hooks were as out of place as northerner in a health food shop.

However after a couple of seasons I started to see more and more people I knew coming from the rivers on to the lakes.

out of the frame some god points mate and to be fair I’ve got a bit complacent with angling i used to be a keen match organisier and fish two and sometimes three times a week i still send at least one or two nights on my kit but i can only fish one day a week with a few hours mid week where i can park and have 2 to 3 hours fishing on a river or canal my mind set is now on enjoying my fishing again
    i don’t want to chuke 100s of pounds at the big matches i remember when anglers used to be dropped from teams ,now its a case trying to find anglers and your never going to compete against the top teams like that 😉

survverner
    yep i’m enjoying it at this time of year as you can get results by putting a few silverfish in your net as well ,i find it hard being beaten at the next peg but i’m sure it will come right 😉 i’m still fishing canals and i would fish rivers if the walks were cut down 😉

Suvverner,

that’s a good illustration of the bait costs ….. and the river bill is worse if you cover the chop worm option properly ….. but it also illustrates that you are covering many bases … you could do the same on a commercial and get a spiralling bait bill. I’ve won plenty this year using less than a pint of casters and half of hemp in 5 hours (but then I am a scrooge).
    I don’t often agree with Keith Arthur, but I do agree with his assertion that chopped worm killed venues like Medley to some extent (extra bait cost and having to carry platform and pole).

I must add that the Thames is probably the worst venue that I’ve been nowadays in terms of access …. the midlands circuit is generally much better.

So perhaps bait limited matches would be the answer?

Lobworms just cost effort to get. Similarly it doesn’t take long to build an established compost heap full of redworms: It is only relatively recently that 1kg of worms was ‘required’ and the ease of keeping dendra’s over lobs made them more of a convenience should you not have to use them.

I’ve had bags that almost qualified for ‘frequent flyer’ discounts the amount of places they went without opening! lol

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

I recall reading Adrian Whittles articles about fishing a Wye festival really good article by the way but the bait bill was astonishing I worked it out to be 40 quid a day !!!!!

almost worth it to catch 80lb of roach and dace though isn’t it!!

to be honest it’s not that often you need to throw all of that in the Wye ….. but it is sometimes essential.
    Not many venues like that

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Makes a costly days fishing though 40 quid bait, 20 quid pools, breakfast and diesel. I bet theres a few choice words from lads that spend that little lot and draw bad !!!!

NoCarpPlease wrote:
    Suvverne

I must add that the Thames is probably the worst venue that I’ve been nowadays in terms of access ….
    so where on the thames are you fishing ?????

PTB … you’e right to pull me up on that … it’s a long river after all.
    Oxford end – Medley, Radley etc. Although I don’t actually go that often, I have had several mega walks.

Joff,

Tony was weaving hios magic again today ….. 21 peg knock-up on the Avon, he won it with 19lb of Dace …… after a pretty hard frost and with air temp not getting above 4 all day!
    To be fair it fished pretty well, 8 weights over 8lb.
    I had odd dace and small chub through the match and then 3 chub in the last 5 casts …. doh!! finished 1lb 6oz behind 3rd … one or two more chub.

TF_baitchef
    Participant

Result doesnt really matter though does it?no doubt you had a nice day on a beautifull river fishing with skill and watercraft, life doesnt get much better than that.

@nocarpplease wrote:

Joff,

Tony was weaving hios magic again today ….. 21 peg knock-up on the Avon, he won it with 19lb of Dace …… after a pretty hard frost and with air temp not getting above 4 all day!
    To be fair it fished pretty well, 8 weights over 8lb.
    I had odd dace and small chub through the match and then 3 chub in the last 5 casts …. doh!! finished 1lb 6oz behind 3rd … one or two more chub.

what a nice days fishing dace are a lovely fish ,but to catch 19lb on a clear river tony must of waved his magic .bad luck yourself wasit at barford

It was Barford ….. usually the dace do a disappearing act around mid October …. but this year they’ve stayed on in a few pegs.

Chub & barbel have been pretty absent there as well this season, so dace have been good for the frame most matches.

tonys name poped up at march on sunday as well 5th or 6th ,he’s casing the matches and good luck to him
    has anyone seen the kamasan points he must be up there ,mindyou getting a 50 pegger now-er days is hard to do 🙁

TF_Average Al
    Participant

I enjoy canal, river and commercial fishing but for me the main consideration now is the distance, I do go the extra mile so to speak occassionally but in the main I think 20 to 25 mile to a venue is enough both in time and cost.
    Being the wrong side of 50 the walk and terrain is also a factor.
    I,m not adverse to fishing matches where realistically I know I have little chance of framing let a lone winning but the cost of pools money would be a factor.
    To get to the point, for me to fish a natural venue, canal or river it would have to be within a reasonable distance, offer decent fishing with reasonable pools. There are two many money spiders in this game and the amount they can win being the be all and end all, surely there’s more to it than that?
    Merry Christmas 😀

your not a lone matey a big proportion of anglers feel the same i’m sure its amazing when you see venues like the Welland north bank witham and trent where the access is park behind your peg and we have deserted these venues .of course the fishing has gone down hill [but how can anyone say that if no one fishes the venues] i heard the north bank had started to come back yet no one went to the matches
    i can see match fishing now become territorial and it could work if the whole area of anglers pool together
    access is the biggest problem to river fishing without a doubt
    the over 50s matches will soon be upon us 😀 😀 😀
    good old coach trips will be back 😀 😀 😀

really enjoyed this topic well done 😉 😉

And a merry Christmas to you Joff.

I’m not sure that we answered my original question (what would it take to get some more anglers back on the river matches) …. it looks like a whole variety of factors!
    In the same way that it would take a variety of things to get us die-hard river nuts to go and fish a commercial.

The weather today is beautiful … wish I was down the river!

Anonymous

Speaking as someone who returned to the rivers in 2010 I can tell you it takes a great deal of effort to drag yourself out of whatever comfort zone you are in and put the time, effort and money
    into getting back ino it.
    For over a decade my summers were still water bream fishing, with winters spent blooworm & joker fishing with the occasional pleasure session on rivers Don and Derbyshire Derwent. That was until my brother persuaded me to spend a few days holiday fishing the Trent. The weather was great we caught a lot of fish – mostly on the waggler and I loved every minute of it. I am fortunate to have have a very succesful river angler for encouragement – without that I may not have made the effort. The matches are friendly and welcoming with a mutual respect I have not felt on my very rare visits to a commercial.
    Others have touched on this and I am convinced that it is all about generation. For most youngsters the relatively wild and unsanitised world of river fishing must feel alien in contrast to the commercials which fit comfortably into the world of mass consumerism, and instant gratification they have been brought up in. For the baby boomers its now about personal fitness – sadly for many the mental and physical effort required is much greater because of the variety of terrain, conditions, distances,methods etc There are refreshing exceptions, Paul Bacon on the Don, Colin Walton and Pete Warren on the Trent, Geoff Scollick on the Calder – but I believe that river match fishing will die with the generation, and the Tony M’s will either have to turn to the souless holes in the ground or go pleasure fishing on their own.

RJM

just twigged – your surname wouldn’t happenn to end in Z would it?

The newark matches are superb …. just a shame it’s so far from Banbury!

And you are right – I’m 44 and I’m still one of the younger anglers on most of the matches that I fish!

RJM very well put 😉 😉
    yesterday i had a few hours on the river soar again the bread worked well a roach a chuke a couple of young lads asked if i had caught any carp 😮 😮 i said no these are roach i asked where do you fish and both said lake view there dads drop them off for the day 🙁 i surpose they are better looked after at a fishery like RJM said its horses for courses no one is going to anglers minds now
    just glad i got to fish in 80s90s

Anonymous

RJM

It would!

It is more than a decade since Worksop’s Ian Turner remarked,as we trudged up the banks of the Don at Sprotborough, that we had only got about 10 years of big river fishing left in us.
    Well I am 58 in the new year but I reckon we have both got at least that still to go if the matches are there!

Hope for us all – there is an old boy of 80+ still fishes my local club circuit, of natural still waters and canal, even turning out for the odd match at this time of year.

Anonymous

RJM

It would!

It is more than a decade since Worksop’s Ian Turner remarked,as we trudged up the banks of the Don at Sprotborough, that we had only got about 10 years of big river fishing left in us.
    Well I am 58 in the new year but I reckon we have both got at least that still to go if the matches are there!

Hope for us all – there is an old boy of 80+ still fishes my local club circuit, of natural still waters and canal, even turning out for the odd match at this time of year.

So the recipe would seem to be

1. local – so petrol costs are not too high
    2. easy access & secure parking
    3. bait limits to contain costs r reasonable bait expectations (and no Hemp :p )
    4. decent catches all through
    5. some flyers to encourage wider participation

Many river venues tick some of these … but very few tick all.
    not to mention the added problem of unpredicatable flooding.

RJM – we’ve chatted briefly at Burton, along with Clive Fletcher and your brother.

If only every river venue was like
    Trent – East bridgford, Newark waters, Burton-on-Trent
    Warks Avon – Barford
    Great Ouse – Kempston
    Severn – Bridgnorth, Bewdley, Stourport (rip Shrewsbury)
    Wye – Hereford

Merry Christmas everyone!!

what no hemp 😮 😮 your be one angler down then 😀 😀 😀

TF_Katarino

@trueblue wrote:

Only one open match each month on the Dane. Was asked not to come back after winning 4 on the trot.

Was that Middlewich? Nice little river but if it was it must have changed or you draw like God because when I fished them a few years back the same 2 or 3 pegs were winning all of them and if you drew below Byley Bridge you were toast (although there are a couple of good ones down there).

A stretch up there that could have been really great in the NW was the Northwich AA stretch at Rudheath, just needed a bit of effort and a few work parties. Nearly as good as the St. Pats and if we’d had it down here we’d have got 30-40 out on it every match.

On a local level we mostly fish the Thames at Wallingford and get decent fields, it just needs a change in mindset from the commie anglers. Accept the walk as part of the day, accept that you don’t need to carry the kitchen sink and finally, accept that sometimes winning with 10lb of ‘natures’ Gudgeon on a 2 metre whip is better than 100lb of artificial Carp that have been put there for you to catch.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.