Small silver spoil the lake !

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Small silver spoil the lake !

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TF_fishtankgone 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

A lake in Ainsworth that i fish is full of small slivers when you fish for them over a four hour period you can get over 100.

They get to most baits and are a right pain .

The perch are feeding on them when there are is no anglers food going in ?

I estimate over 400lbs of small silvers 2 to 3 inches .

It is over stocked as in summer the fish on the surface is unbelievable and not a little silver in sight big bream, carp, chub. 😮

Is the only option the E .A ,to remove the small stuff and then in two years do it again ?

The cormorants will thin those out if it’s not a commercial . Huge billy perch are a joy to catch so they don’t want removing . Carp in winter love bread , a big bait that will withstand the pecking of the roach . Don’t feed bread though you’ll kill it . Sweetcorn possibly to avoid them and if you not matchfishing maybe boilies . Years gone by , I too have scorned small roach more especially in commercials . These days the chance to catch alsorts is fine with me . 🙂 200 of those 2oz roach is good fishing , Unless your in a match where that would win you jack . Not everyone wants a huge bag of carp , There’s a big following of anglers who would rather catch the Roach . 🙂

Fishtank

Just get on with it, really after years of decline in silver fish populations we should not be complaining about an explosion of fish, they have appeared in the rivers and ponds in their millions this season, me I’m glad to catch a few 2 ozers through Winter when all the carp are in one hole……..

Once the carp and other agressive feeders start feeding again they will bully the bits out…
    Enjoy it while you can….

TF_Robwilson

Thanks for sharing this information and you share good information and its is very helpful for others . fjackets.com

TF_millie

THe first time you play with nature the pond will be doomed you take a year away of stock in time they are the next generation of breeding stock once a years been took away I’m afraid it’s all down hill,we had an estate lake which in the 80s was most likely the best three lake fishery in the country bream to over 10lb tench to 8lb roach to 3lb and I don’t mean the odd one I mean in one sitting you could can 10 2lb+ roach 40lb was easy achievable until the bright spark of a fishery manager decided to let them take a years worth of small fish out of it probably to line his own pocket,well the impact of his actions killed the place and its never recovered even now.Nature will always have its own way of thinning themselves out if it gets overrun not man they would like the saying goes f*** a good c*** up

There are many solution to the small fish problem and the club that lease the water are also well funded .

The stocking of large fish early in 2013 has cause this over stocking and now the club will see if the anglers wish to fish for silvers as the membership have to renew at this time of the year for the coming year .

What would you like to catch for your subscriptions , small fish two to three years old or a more challenge of larger fish eight to ten years old ?

They hold matches on the water and the last two matches eighty percent of the anglers blanked,,I myself caught but its a long term solution that is needed not a quick fix .

I fear that the membership will reflect it by May or June as it could be greatly reduced and surely it about getting people fishing and giving them a good experience and encourage them to fish ?

It seems bizzare but you say there is an “over stock of small fish” and yet anglers “blanked” in matches!!!

It would suggest that the anglers need to change their approach on the venue rather than just take the small fish out just leaving the big fish in place.

The big fish stocks are NOT sustainable in any fishery, eventually they fade away and you are left with nothing, unless you are prepared to continually top up with carp/any fish of a certain size.

The club / owner, really needs to take some professional advice, EA I guess, to ensure you develop a good mixed fishery with sustainable self replenishing stocks……. or just turn it into a carp puddle and pump fish in to keep the predators happy…..make yer mind up

You are spot on– T.T. – the removal of larger fish last year started the problems for the lake ?

Then some large fish [ bream] were introduced and started to die over four months by july the larger fish around four to five pounds had all died after and during spawned which left a load of fry. Some were eaten but half of um survived and we have now loads of fry 1 to 2 inches and two to three .

The small amount of chub that are in only number seventy to eighty as they got stocked as well three years back ,they are growing well ,up to 2 lbs as of now . 🙂

The club removed seventy large carp just before the bream went in MARCH-2014 and that is when the fry took off, up to that point you could fish for the carp with large bait .

The bits would not get a look in but now with the removal of the big lumps from 5 to 13 lbs it has affected the way the fish are feeding and now only the small stuff is being caugth .. there are still carp in the lake but since the removal of the larger ones!!!! 😡

The remaining carp are very hard to locate and catch ,you may catch four over the year were before the removal you would catch five or six in a session over two to three hours .

I will explain more in the coming days but as I have explained it is not the lake it once was .?

Just hope that the remaining carp [ 3 to 6 lbs] come on this year and grow fast and they stop messing with it and it gets balanced once more . 🙂

And you are right in saying that they need to shape up when it comes to catching what is there instead of throwing funds at the problem and taking two steps back .. we dont get cormorants but do have some lovely kingfishers which find loads of fry so its not all bad on the lake. 🙂 😉
    Hope you follow it 😀

TF_Kennyb

My association as an arrangement with a number of commercial lakes around our area. We provide the appropriate paperwork from the EA supply the manpower for the netting parties. Then transfer the silvers to our canal. All parties are happy the commercial owners, local canal anglers it saves the Association a small fortune in stocking fees and the EA support us with tanks for transfer and additional nets. I have noticed of late that silverfish matches and festivals this time of year are becoming extremely popular and we are seeing a small resurgence in natural venue fishing as well.
    I would never complain about too many fish as there is always a practical solution to keep everyone happy
    Keep posting
    Keep smiling
    Kennyb

TF_millie

@kennyb wrote:

My association as an arrangement with a number of commercial lakes around our area. We provide the appropriate paperwork from the EA supply the manpower for the netting parties. Then transfer the silvers to our canal. All parties are happy the commercial owners, local canal anglers it saves the Association a small fortune in stocking fees and the EA support us with tanks for transfer and additional nets. I have noticed of late that silverfish matches and festivals this time of year are becoming extremely popular and we are seeing a small resurgence in natural venue fishing as well.
    I would never complain about too many fish as there is always a practical solution to keep everyone happy
    Keep posting
    Keep smiling
    Kennyb

thats ok with commerical fisheries where they get paid abit from the fish taken out,to stock with more of the fish anglers pay their money for what they want to catch but the natural waters where the main stay is silvers it requires every years batch for breeding purposes in years to come!!!!if any one can remember the explosion of fish that got caught out of the new junction canal,which at the time was a dead barren canal,most if the fish came out of the estate lake i talked about in a previous post.i remember anglers saying these fish must have been here all the time unaware they decimated a venue that had record fish in it

We are getting some very good responses on the thread and lets hope that when the E.A. get involved again that the fishing is once again balanced on the lake with a good head of carp and silvers, that all the anglers [ members ]can catch and hopefully will.

They are things that I can not discuss on here as there are litigation aspects that need to be preserved and that as much as I will say on that matter.

Anyway back to the fishing problems ,most of the young silvers that are in the lake at present hopefully will be placed in to another smaller lake and left to grow but that is down to the E.A. discretion .

When they do net it I will keep the thread informed!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.