Stourport Open

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Stourport Open

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TF_paulnewell 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

27 fished . averaged 7lbs of roach , 16 lbs to win !!!! 15 lbs 13 lbs and 12lbs 8oz , 2nd 3rd and fourth !!! 11 lbs 8oz fifth . That’s good matchfishing in my book . Match on Thurday and Saturday . Ring Marks Tackle 01299 871735 . ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

Hi Paul are they all on Newhalls or all above the bridge?

Above the bridge to big gladder . I think if it stays the right level it will get very popular . But that will give Mark a headache and the top field would need loads of work on it . Those that have fished it in the last few years reckon it’s devoid of fish . 35 years ago the top field had some fantastic pegs . Pegs 1 to 10 coughed up roach ! The famous ramp . Then it’s shallowed to 4 ft and there were chub and dace . Down to the turning bay and there was great fishing , with a peg I called the long hole , very good . Lower down there’s another long hole . Areas Devoid of fish are caused by cormorants herding fish up and also the demise of the Chub . Perhaps they may need trying again , Big entries may force the issue . The BAA now own Newalls meadow and its all pay and display parking !!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ™‚

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Above the bridge to big gladder . I think if it stays the right level it will get very popular . But that will give Mark a headache and the top field would need loads of work on it . Those that have fished it in the last few years reckon it’s devoid of fish . 35 years ago the top field had some fantastic pegs . Pegs 1 to 10 coughed up roach ! The famous ramp . Then it’s shallowed to 4 ft and there were chub and dace . Down to the turning bay and there was great fishing , with a peg I called the long hole , very good . Lower down there’s another long hole . Areas Devoid of fish are caused by cormorants herding fish up and also the demise of the Chub . Perhaps they may need trying again , Big entries may force the issue . The BAA now own Newalls meadow and its all pay and display parking !!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers Paul! Where do you park to fish above the bridge now,is it still along Arley lane? Be nice if Mark could strike a deal with the BAA and Swifts for some reduced day ticket and parking fees!

There is tight parking along the lane , Free but scarce , Typically no inclusion by councils and landowners to give us a break . ?? Or maybe we don’t do eneough asking . ??? . There’s 3 main spots along the lane . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TF_Honest55

Paul if possible do you know the winning weight and peg it came from.
    cheers

You rascal you didn’t read my first post , sixteen pounds , and I think peg 82 just up from the bottom pump . 15 , 13 , I Had 12.8. And 11.8 was fifth !! :p :p

TF_Paddy

On the stick Paul with maggots/casters? or did you go on the pole?

Big stick float and bolo Paddy . No pole for me ,this time . ๐Ÿ™‚ Maggots for me .

TF_geepster

Who won and who was second Paul?

My original post was to try and raise more interest and get more to enter . Decent competition and better payouts . ๐Ÿ˜€ To be honest I haven’t been assigned press oficer duties . No doubt if I win il let the whole world know ๐Ÿ˜‰ Long ago when we had fibreglass rods and the river scene was huge a Stourport ticket was like Gold and you ordered one months in advance . They went ahead whatever the Levels !! The Barbel men tied their rods to the box when they went for a walk !! ๐Ÿ˜€ The roach fiends would lay on down the edge for roach and dace . We also got journalists from the two weeklies . Ken Cope or the wonderfull Gordon Holland turned up with their cameras . These two had proper knowledge and would track up and coming anglers plus the star men . Getting your picture in and a write up was so special . Sadly the papers want us now to ring them ???? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@honest55 wrote:

Paul if possible do you know the winning weight and peg it came from.
    cheers

Markโ€™s Fishing Tackle, River Severn, Stourport, Worcs. Sat, 26. Andy Napthine (Markโ€™s Tackle) 16-11-0, roach, hemp and tares, peg 82; Mark James (Ludlow) 15-12-0; Mick Price (Mallards) 13-1-0; Paul Newell (Redditch) 12-2-0.

Well done ABBO 62 , you’ve gained a job .Only I had 12lbs 8 oz not 12 two . ! ๐Ÿ™‚

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Well done ABBO 62 , you’ve gained a job .Only I had 12lbs 8 oz not 12 two . ! ๐Ÿ™‚

You will have to speak to Anglers mail about them belittling your ability Paul!
    lol

Blimey I better rush out and buy a copy it’s been so long . ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Blimey I better rush out and buy a copy it’s been so long . ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

๐Ÿ˜ฎ I ay bought it Paul!!! i just went ion their website bud,its cheaper! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

Have you been or heard owt on todays match Paul?

Mark cancelled , it was level with the pallets . It’s dropping now and fingers crossed for Saturday .

TF_ABBO62
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Mark cancelled , it was level with the pallets . It’s dropping now and fingers crossed for Saturday .

Oh dear! think there may be a bit more juice coming down before then bud!

Think your right . Best weather for the rivers are icy dry conditions . Cold nights blue sunny days . Waggler down the middle . Heaven . :p :p :p

TF_Paddy

Paul,
    I bet you have not managed to get on again since your first match have you?
    I fished the Severn on Saturday, albeit at Hampton Loade for Barbel and needed 3oz and 4oz to hold bottom, whilst it had risen 8″ overnight from the Friday.
    It looked perfect for the whiskers, but they had other ideas!

Paddy we did fish Saturday , and I could be accused of only singing when ime winning . ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t know the winners name ! He had 4lb 12oz I think . A big perch and a few roach on a stick float .He was a couple of pegs above big Gladder brook . 22 fished and there were 5 anglers with 3 lbs something . You know it was spoiling on Friday ! Ended up chocolate by Saturday. But in away there was potentially a prize to be had all over ! I got 2lbs 2oz and 2lbs3 oz won the section . ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

TF_Paddy

That does not surprise me Paul.
    I was going to fish Stourport, but the Friday rain put me off and i thought it would rise overnight.
    I can see your pegs from where i fish on the opposite bank in front of the Angel pub.
    I bet it was pushing through a bit?
    Have you fished the Stour by the old Vinegar factory, as it joins the Severn by the Tins?

Have not fished it but did look at it a couple of weeks back . There looked to be some free parking on the closed factory car parks ? But maybe it’s a bit dodgy . Lots of new houses on the old power station site ! But no access or parking for anglers .The powers that be don’t want us there ? Do they ? ๐Ÿ˜ก :confused:

TF_Paddy

Believe it or not, most of those factorys are still open!
    As you walk down stream from the Angel you get to the first factory wall, then halfway down there is break and a small road that stops at the river. If you walk up there, you will be at the rear of the factorys, whilst the road is called Cheapside.
    You could park either at the top, or down the alley – thats where i have parked for the last 20 years or so. No, i have never had a problem with leaving my car there at all.
    However, Power Station Road (the entry to the old station) is also good. as you have turned into it, look on your right, there is a gap where the footpath goes between 2 houses. Park by the gap and walk into the estate. you will see the path and a few old Volvo’s, follow the path left down the ramp into the field and the river is opposite you – 2 minute walk.
    The fishing in the field from the Vinegar Factory at the bottom left of the meadow all the way round the bends on the right is free town water.
    When the Severn is up, its the knackers mate, but you would struggle with numbers due to lack of permanent pegs.

Nice one Paddy , I will have another look down there . Not for matches but for pleasure and practice ! I don’t like hammering the matchlength prior to the match . The parking along the matchlength ain’t that great anyway ! ๐Ÿ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.