Tackle Reviews

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Tackle Reviews

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

TF_Johnfish1

Having read the recent post regarding the quality of content of some of the Monthly Mags I would just like to kick the ball off regarding tackle reviews it appears every pole is the best they have ever held and the test consists of hauling a few stickies hauled out of a commercial even more disturbing the nod that tackle manufacturers are paying to have tackle reviewed.
    Time for a hard hitting ‘TOP GEAR’ review if the product, is crap then let’s be told – poor graphics – dodgy zips – weak sections most guys cash is hard earnt we deserve better.

TF_matchace

i hate to pxxxx on your chips mate but i busted this wide open last year
    BUT i totally agree with what your saying
    for instance how can a guy where ANOTHER company’s clothing
    when reviewing something
    AND your also right about having TOPGEAR style reviews
    BUT the sad thing is it needs funding

All visitors to this site have the opportunity to voice their opinions about the sport, venues, tackle, owners etc etc.

Sadly very few are prepared to actually “out” poor service, and poor equipment. I did not hear many on the bank complain about a £3,000 pole ever…… but there are complaints and rumblings going on.

No doubt tackle, especially mid range rods reels and stuff are good value when compared to 20 ears ago, however the “bit and pieces” of general tackle are not in this league, 20% on a packet of hooks that are now sourced from China or other terminal tackle is commonplace now, this is were the suppliers & shops make the money now

Don’t tell me about rising costs, how many hooks can you get in a 40 foot container, 10 million, its only about £2,500 to ship round the world, and some far off factory worker getting $80 a month for 60 hours a week

Anyway to the point – why don’t the anglers themselves write up their “field tests” on here? Probably because we are embarrassed to admit we were conned,

You would think suppliers would welcome some free market research, but in truth they don’t, and as long as we see such obviously biased reviews and are pulled in by them, why should they bother, “Rip Off Britain” is alive and well.

Years ago I tested a Shakespear pole, it was brilliant at the time, so bought one, but the production model was miles away from the promo one given at the shop, miles away. I never sent it back….but it was a lesson.

Alex Bones tries to be honest, but the mags all have sponsors and contributors so limitations on what they can say.

We spend our hard earned every week, very few complaints….shy Boys get nothing, complain I dare you…..complain to the mag about their bias….. unfortunately you continue to buy it, even though it’s same old….same old..

I make a hobby out of complaining – but Brits don’t do it…

You haven’t heard Paul Newell when he’s in full flow . 😀 Our popular magazines charge huge sums of money for advertising so a both barrels down to earth duff review will only result in lost funds . They reckon the money recieved from the sale of the mags alone is not eneough to keep them going .My advise is always to visit the large tackle shops to handle poles before purchace but waggling and pretend striking isn’t much of a test . That’s why Alec Bones , Tom Scholey , or Matt Godfrey can only really speak of things like . How light is it , ? Are the joints good . Is it stiff enough for the money . ? And is there a good spares package . Repeating myself again . Comes with age . The best test for any piece of kit is time . Same as a car , household appliance etc .,And especially fishing tackle . Most quality control of fishing tackle is carried out by us ! On the bank . Walk the bank . Ask matchmen . Ask top Speci hunters , Just do some of your own research before spending .

@Double Blank wrote:

Alex Bones tries to be honest, but the mags all have sponsors and contributors so limitations on what they can say….

I recall a situation last year where the angler testing the 901 said it was the best pole in the world in their mag. In the issue that followed there was a suggestion that one of the other “BIG” tackle company’s was gonna “pull out” of the magazine because they had spat their dummy because the 901 got a raving review and was said to be the best pole out there. What chance have we, as anglers and customers of getting TOTALLY honest reviews of products now as the Editors of mags are gonna be scared to say anything negative for fear of loosing financial backing (ie advertising) off these big companies. Really it’s a sort of financial blackmail, you give our product a bad review or give a rival a better review then were pulling out. Are tackle reviews now a complete waste of time. We are never gonna get a bad one in reality are we?
    Like Paul says the best way to test gear you want to buy is go and see, use or study it yourself and make your own mind up.

That just reminds me……them great floats they reviewed, they don’t bloody work either !!!

Now I know it’s a fix

@Double Blank wrote:

That just reminds me……them great floats they reviewed, they don’t bloody work either !!!

Now I know it’s a fix

Absolute class hahaha. 🙂

the main problem will always be that although magazine editors,reviewers are mostly unsponsored to give an unbiased review.advertising by manufacturers contributes an awful lot of power towards reviewed items,as no one wants their tackle slated,wether it is good or bad.the editors say there is no point reviewing bad tackle,as it is not practical to do so if the item is bad.but who judges what is really good or total rubbish,as brand name means nothing in many cases,with few exceptions.
    where poles are reviewed,you will very rarely get the actually length mentioned along side the stated length,as this looks bad to the manufacturer and could result in lost sales.so you will always be better comparing in person as many are still short of stated length before cutting back.

because many are happy to compromise where poor tackle is concerned,or either just make do,or sell it on,so very few problems get sorted,and a few manufacturers also have little or no customer feedback service.and refuse to accept constructive criticism even if the item is genuinely faulty

TF_mrrbpoole

The top and bottom of it is, if the product is poor they don’t review it. So beware of the the ones that they don’t review!! :confused: 🙁

No that’s not the case . It’s impossible for them to review everything out there . They haven’t the time . There’s lots of class gear that doesn’t even reach our shores . I think Colmic stuff could be very good , Huge in Italy but not widespread here . Maybe the Dutch company Spro has some good gear . I quite like their Red Arc Reels . The short time time they play with this new kit they can only give a quickly formed opinion . They can’t prove the quality of reel bearings or the engineering ! They are not qualified . A day fishing with a pole or rod maybe successfull . In no way can that mean this stuff will not break or wear out quick etc. Take time on your purchace and think about who you ask for confirmation . Hard working , non sponsored matchmen will narrow things down . Years ago my reels were batted around 4 times a week in summer . Made in Japan with care and quality engineering . Unless you pay through the nose tons of our tackle is now Chinese . Getting better but not built to last . The old saying you gets what you pay for comes to my mind . That Tri-Cast kit isa fine example . 🙂

And what about the bloomin, zips on my Bib & Brace they never tested them dam things, knackered in 8 weeks

Yes it is going back, once Summer comes !! 😀

Anonymous

@johnfish1 wrote:

Having read the recent post regarding the quality of content of some of the Monthly Mags I would just like to kick the ball off regarding tackle reviews it appears every pole is the best they have ever held and the test consists of hauling a few stickies hauled out of a commercial even more disturbing the nod that tackle manufacturers are paying to have tackle reviewed.
    Time for a hard hitting ‘TOP GEAR’ review if the product, is crap then let’s be told – poor graphics – dodgy zips – weak sections most guys cash is hard earnt we deserve better.

BUT….any review, in the main, is subjective and very often opinion based rather than cold hard fact. It doesn’t necessarily mean that what is written is accurate or even true. It doesn’t mean it’s utter rubbish either. You have to read between the lines quite often and, basically, make your own mind up as to what suits you. Many times something will get rave reviews/comments etc and be very popular. Even then there will inevitably be someone who doesn’t get on with it for some reason and hates it. Same with things which get slated. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad product often it can mean that some don’t understand it or simply don’t know what they are doing.

Just as it says on the– TIN — do your own reviews on here, is its naughty or nice just do it ..

Just like the TRIPADVISOR give it a- 1- to- 5 – vote 😮

Then we can do the fisheries as anglers as well ? :

Do anglers get value there!

Have we opened a tin of worms . :rolleyes:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.