Three pole info!

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Three pole info!

This topic contains 84 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  TF_bakerboy 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

Because of the later information from map-mike stating that MAP have not had any broken 901 sections purely from fishing use.

I have removed the incorrect info with ref to 901 broken sections, which was previously entered within this message.

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to test the new MAP TKS 901 pole because company info looks so good!

I have visited Fosters twice and they told me that they can’t even get any to fill the back orders and they don’t have one for me to try out..

Obviously, others like me have been attracted by the generous spares package offered with this pole.

This being the case I decided to try the Diawa Airity, the MAP 801 and the Tri-cast Trilogy Pro 2 while I was there.

The Airity weighs in at 16 mtrs 1410 grms. The 801, I can’t find any weight info. The Trilogy Pro 2 at 16.5 mtrs weighs in at a stunning 1280 grms.

In hand, the 801 was the heaviest. The Airity was the next heaviest with the Pro 2 noticeably lighter and more balanced.

Testing for ”bounce” the 801 and the Airity had a very similar ”bounce point”. The Pro 2 had a ”bounce point” around two metres further down towards the tip.

The further away the ”bounce point” is, the stiffer the pole!

Handling the Airity against the 801 at 16 mtrs, the Airity felt a bit better.

That leaves the handling qualities of the Airity against the Pro 2. Well they actually felt fairly similar with the Airity at 14.4 mtrs and the Pro 2 at 15,7 mtrs.

Put the 16 metre section onto the Airity and the Pro 2 just blows it away!

With the Airity costing a massive Β£750.00 more, I believe it is a ”no contest”, the Trilogy Pro 2 wins on all counts.

Actual weight, balance, stiffness, handling and price.

As a three pole Diawa man (Team Diawa, G8 and G20), this result really suprised me!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I now own a Tri-cast Trilogy Pro 2.

I have used it a couple of times at 14.00mtrs, ram-rod straight and virtually bounce free – really cuffed so far!

For those that like numbers here are some facts!

The weight stated by Tri-cast being 1280grams @ 16.50mtrs I find to be incorrect.

I have weighed some lengths and they are as follows:

All weights shown are using the match top three and long number three section, before any cutting back/removal of the top flick-tip.

16.50mtrs – 1410grms (includes half butt) – still a fantastically low weight for such a length.

15.70mtrs – 1280grms.

14.00mtrs – 970grms

12.40mtrs – 750grms

Using power tops – minus 39cms

Using match kit without the flick-tip – minus 76cms (Sorry I made a mistake @ 38cms)

Using short number three – minus 77cms

The mini-butt is actually 92cms long so it gives a full 80cms extra when in use.

It weighs in at 130grms.

TF_april9092
    Participant

Tricat all the way no broken sections from them built in this country for our fishing superb

TF_carpa22
    Participant

Was it the new Airity x you were comparing against.

TF_gaz r

the trilogy pro2 is an exellent strong well balanced pole gutted i had to sell mine, its the only pole ive had that i didnt mind fishing long, hopefully buy another 1 this year.

I brought a 901 last week. Used it at 16 metres in gale force winds with no problems.

TF_bagging machine
    Participant

@James wilson wrote:

I brought a 901 last week. Used it at 16 metres in gale force winds with no problems.

In your dreams, when you woke up were you late for work?
    NO 16m pole can be fished in gale force winds.

@bagging machine wrote:

@James wilson wrote:

In your dreams, when you woke up were you late for work?
    NO 16m pole can be fished in gale force winds.

I agree!

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

carpa22 – the answer is yes!

To be fair to James Wilson, it depends on wind direction.

From the rear not much of a problem.

It is the sudden sideways slams that do the damage!

TF_macca63

@James wilson wrote:

If you believe everything your read about this pole I bet you were fishing one handed too?

TF_scottyp

@James wilson wrote:

I was sat opposite him and there was a very strong cross wind – no breakages
    (but not as strong as the wind i had to sit in though, but he’s a drawbag)

TF_map-mike

”A friend of mine was fishing a match a few weeks ago and a MAP sponsered angler was using the 901 when a strong gust of wind split open FOUR SECTIONS”

Could you please enlighten me on who this sponsored angler is. The reason im asking is due to the fact that none of our sponsored anglers have a 901 yet. This statement is not only factually incorrect, but also misleading! PM sent.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

I apologise if the information I was given is incorrect concerning a MAP sponsored angler being involved, I only repeated what I had been told!

I have been told by another angler though that on that particular match (don’t know where) a 901 was smashed by the wind.

TF_map-mike

Is that the same angler who you had seen a MAP sponsored angler break four sections of his 901 pole?

Rest assured we have not had any issues with breakages on the 901 pole.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@map-mike wrote:

Is that the same angler who you had seen a MAP sponsored angler break four sections of his 901 pole?

Rest assured we have not had any issues with breakages on the 901 pole.

Not sure about same instance as I never said I saw it happen!

Fosters assistant said they have had broken sections returned and advised to wait until at least June to see how things work out.

This is what I intend to do and all being well, it will be a straight choice between the MAP 901 and the Tri-cast Pro 2!

Because of your difficulty in supplying shops with the 901, I have not as yet been able to compare them!

TF_map-mike

The Fosters assistant should have told you that the sections in question were delivered to them broken – and were not broken by an angler in use.

Regarding problems supplying shops – its due to the high demand. We have had deliveries every month, and hopefully all back orders should be fulfilled – meaning shops also having stock by the end of March latest.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@map-mike wrote:

The Fosters assistant should have told you that the sections in question were delivered to them broken – and were not broken by an angler in use.

Regarding problems supplying shops – its due to the high demand. We have had deliveries every month, and hopefully all back orders should be fulfilled – meaning shops also having stock by the end of March latest.

That throws a different aspect onto the situation and I sincerely hope you don’t have any section breakage problems with the 901!

As I have said I will try the 901 directly compared with the Pro 2 around June time!

It will really have to go some as the Pro 2 is lighter at 16.5 mtrs (1280 grms) than the 901 is at 16 mtrs (1352 grms) and around Β£750.00 cheaper!

Only time will tell which in my opinion is the best buy and takes the money from my wallet!

Again if through miss-information I have stated anything which is not factual, I apologise!

@scottyp wrote:

@James wilson wrote:

I was sat opposite him and there was a very strong cross wind – no breakages
    (but not as strong as the wind i had to sit in though, but he’s a drawbag)

Drawbag? Was he on an end peg? πŸ™‚
    Was a bit more ripple our side tho. πŸ˜€
    I know 3 or 4 people with the 901.none have had any issues.

So what Map sponsored angler broke 4 sections and what match was it on? apparently they all split? πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

TF_Baku Blanker
    Participant

Bakerboy dont you think you should have just dealt with facts not tackleshop gossip before you posted anything :confused: :confused:

Ha ha ha Got to love open Forums!
    My neighbours best friends dad met a bloke in the pub who’s brother in laws friend spoke to a guy at club match who snapped every section of his new pole first visit out!

I’m fairly sure a company as established as Map/Leeda wouldn’t risk releasing a flagship product without first testing reliability.

At least on the plus side people are still talking Mike!

TF_IAN.

Whats happened to Maps web site?

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@Baku Blanker wrote:

Bakerboy dont you think you should have just dealt with facts not tackleshop gossip before you posted anything :confused: :confused:

When told something by a employee of a tackle shop, I don’t call it gossip!

As we all know, info from the bank is not always 100% accurate.

But what do you do, call them liars?

You can only question their version of events when you find out you have been misled.

Maybe he was trying to steer you towards one of the other 2 poles as they actually had them in stock and 1 of which they have plenty of, he is a salesman , now you know he is full of bs when you go back.

TF_redarmy

scotty knows someone whos broke a section πŸ˜€ but he does break most tackle he buys

@redarmy wrote:

scotty knows someone whos broke a section πŸ˜€ but he does break most tackle he buys

He’s an animal. πŸ˜‰

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@steve ford wrote:

Maybe he was trying to steer you towards one of the other 2 poles as they actually had them in stock and 1 of which they have plenty of, he is a salesman , now you know he is full of bs when you go back.

I don’t think so as he suggested for me to go back about June to test the 901 and compare it alongside the others!

I don’t think he could have been fairer than that!

Mike I was one of the best promoters of Shakespeare tackle the Superteam ever had .Ask TonyTroth . Please send superb 901 ASAP . Kind regards . Paul Newell. :p :p :p

well worth reading before passing unsubstantiated rumour on ;
    http://www.polefishingmagazine.com/weekly-blogs/item/1331-pole-wars

Sure i saw tony curd saying he got a 901 on facebook ages ago!?

TF_map-mike

Nathan, please feel free to contact him, or any other MAP consultant and ask them what pole they are currently using. You will find that they are all using 801’s. They don’t get 901’s until the middle of next month.

Regarding the website, its currently down as we are working on a new site.

I ain’t that bothered! Just thought i’d check, must have been 801!

Right I actually saw an angler break 4 sections on his 901………absolutely nothing to do with the 901, it was the worst conditions I have ever fished in and my pole was well packed away…….he broke one when the wind took the pole off the rollers and 3 when his box with 2 keep nets attached physically took off tipped up and snapped 3 top kits. There were trees down, it was chaotic we would have called it off but couldn’t get offsite until they chain sawed a huge tree off the road

He was gutted but I don’t know any pole that can resist a daiwa tourney box being chucked on it!

Funniest thing was seeing a keepnet with about 15 lb of carp blown out of the water a couple of times and the angler having to push it back in……bizarre weather!

TF_redarmy

Normal weather for us ian stop being soft you will be fishing for the shandees next πŸ˜€

@redarmy wrote:

Normal weather for us ian stop being soft you will be fishing for the shandees next πŸ˜€

Don’t laugh John it was at Conway whistling down the valley and couldnt get out of the place till 4pm!!

…..be the same tomorrow my friend!! Bring ya bricks for in ya baitboxes!!

TF_Paddy

Character building πŸ™‚

TF_JohnH

Some of the responses on here to this post really surprise me. I read the original post and thought it very well presented and thought out and was objective. The MAP pole has had rave reviews and a serious angler wanted to try one so visited one of the largest retailers in the UK and basically failed not only to have a play but worse could not see in the short term when he could.
    The manufacturers reps were very quick to leap to its defence and this may well prove to be justified but the ultimate judge is Joe Public and if we decide its not that good then it isn’t.
    In this instance it looks as though it will be a long time before we can find out.

The fact too that we seem incapable of shipping sections without breaking them when we know most poles are made 100s if not 1000s of miles away is worrying.

The broken web site too will only feed the rumour mill. If I was thinking of buying one I would want to know, rumour or not, what the word on the bank was.
    Finally why don’t the sponsored lads have them? They are the best salesmen.

Smacks to me that the launch was too soon, as the manufacturers cant supply the product quickly enough or less likely they have been caught out by demand.
    In one word unprofessional.

Anonymous

@johnh wrote:

Smacks to me that the launch was too soon, as the manufacturers cant supply the product quickly enough or less likely they have been caught out by demand.
    In one word unprofessional.

You might well be right. Maybe saw what others were doing and rushed in way before they were ready so as to try and sway people from buying other models before MAP missed the boat. But may have shot themselves in the foot anyway.

TF_map-mike

JohnH,

The only reason I leapt to the defence of the original post was due that in post was not factual, nothing more. Iansi01354 post confirms this.

Reference to your comments on being incapable of shipping sections with them getting broken. If you can recommend me of a courier service that has never damaged a parcel, then I’m all ears. We use Fedex, TNT etc. They are ALL capable of damaging parcels no matter how well they are packed.

Sections could be made 2 miles away; they could be 3000 miles away. If we have them in stock – does it matter???

As previously stated in this post, we are working on a new website, that’s why the site is down. Our twitter and Facebook pages are active and we can be contact via those, or directly.

The pole not launched too soon. How could ANY company predict that a pole would outsell the pole below it (801) in less than 3 months? We are pretty good at forecasting, but no one within the business could have predicted that.

We have had deliveries almost every month, and ALL back orders should be fulfilled by March.

TF_JohnH

Mike, my company makes parts for Rolls Royce, if they arrived in bits we would not supply them anymore!! Its your company responsibility. If no haulier is suitable you have to do it yourself.
    I too have had issues with my own pole being damaged in transit so now I take sections for repair in my own car.
    It still seems strange your sponsored anglers don’t have this pole yet, I would have thought they would have field tested this pole before it was launched so at the very least have an early prototype.

TF_map-mike

John,

Our distribution centre sends out anything up to 5,000 parcels a day. Generally we never have any issues on parcels being delivered damaged, but as with any courier company, they do damage parcels. The distribution centre we use also delivers other items outside of fishing tackle, so doing it ourselves is not an option.

They did use prototype poles, but these are always returned, as we don’t want them using poles that are not branded. We issue them with new clothing, poles, luggage at the start of every year, and has always been like that.

According to a feature in pole fishing magazine,a MAP sponsored angler was using a 901 in novembers edition,so prototypes were obviously tested before release

TF_bagging machine
    Participant

Mike out of interest where are Map poles made?

Surely a product with this price tag warrants a really strong box for transport purposes ??? Contact Paul newell carpentry services. :rolleyes:

TF_GLEBE1

What a [email protected] thread, it’s quite clear that the 901 is a nice bit of kit, if Map are struggling to meet demand then this supports the fact people are willing to buy it. Like most things that are half decent when they are launched sometimes demand can outstrip supply.
    Why are people having a pop and using language like unprofessional and criticising MAP for having sections damaged in transit.

I don’t know why you bother replying Mike!!
    P.s I’m a happy Airity user!

TF_redarmy

wouldnt call you happy πŸ˜€

TF_GLEBE1

@redarmy wrote:

wouldnt call you happy πŸ˜€

I’m happy I haven’t got your fecking looks… :p

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

This thread has got sidetracked somewhat in that because I could not try the 901 I decided not to waste a trip and so compared three already tested top poles against each other.

I then gave what I believe is an honest appraisel of the features any angler looks for in a pole.

The end result of my testing, all be it, sitting on a seat in a shop was a suprise to me.

As a Diawa man for many years, I never expected the Pro 2 to beat (in my opinion) the Diawa Airity.

If the 901 is anywhere near as good as either of these poles, it is a bloody good piece of kit.

If they turn out to be the same, I will go for the Pro 2, purely because it is made here in the UK!

baggibg machine, to answer your question – I think MAP poles are manufactured in Italy.

map-mike will soon tell us if this is not correct!

Best advice Backerboy is give new poles 12 months on the circuit so you get a better insight on service and durability . Only problem is when you wait that long the best pole in the world suddenly gets superseded . Very much like buying new cars . When you make your choice get on and fish with it and don’t try any others !!! Same as cars yea. Only more expensive. !! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Mike I was one of the best promoters of Shakespeare tackle the Superteam ever had .Ask TonyTroth . Please send superb 901 ASAP . Kind regards . Paul Newell. :p :p :p

@paulnewell wrote:

Best advice Backerboy is give new poles 12 months on the circuit so you get a better insight on service and durability . Only problem is when you wait that long the best pole in the world suddenly gets superseded . Very much like buying new cars . When you make your choice get on and fish with it and don’t try any others !!! Same as cars yea. Only more expensive. !! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Good advice Paul!

Are you going to be a tester as in your first post or a let the others do the testing as in your second post?

With all products from socks to aeroplanes, it is the end user that does the final testing!

There will always be some (the jump in brigade) who believe to the letter what the company tells them about any new product.

Then there are those who are prepared to wait a while before making any major purchase (the wait and see brigade)

Then finally those that would never buy (I would not touch it with a barge pole brigade)

The most important of these three types to any company is the ‘jump in brigade’, for without them no product would ever be sold. So I take my hat off to those that have already purchased the new 901.

If I am honest, I would probably been one of the ‘jump in brigade’ if I could have got my grubby mits on one when I first visited Fosters.

So there is a lesson for any company here.

If you are going to heavily promote any new product, make sure you can put enough on the shelves to satisfy the initial interest!

Well if Mike was to give me a free 901 I would take a chance with it . Realisticly at my age and so on sponsors will not be coming my way so I have to believe in my 12 month trial period! At someone else’s expense . Have not always followed that rule I had a pole that was nicknamed 81 break one . Best pole Shakespeare gave me was the Italian Faps Quadra . Still got 2 . Potentially I could of had a16m Hexa remember them Shaped like a 50p with flat sides . Groundbreaking technology . Poker stiff and light cracked on the corners and brittle !!! Buying a top end Diawa strikes me as being less chancy than some of the competition but the half metre missing forces matchmen to look elsewhere . From what I hear so far the 901 is the dogs and wish MAP the very best of luck because from both seller and purchaser it is a minefield .

TF_kid_a

@map-mike wrote:

JohnH,

As previously stated in this post, we are working on a new website, that’s why the site is down. Our twitter and Facebook pages are active and we can be contact via those

Taking down the website when there are rumours of breakages and no stock anywhere, is not the greatest marketing decision in the world. It just compounds any rumours going round…..

I don’t think that is the case, I think the previous post fully established that the chap who broke four sections of his 901 was caused by a) the wind blowing the pole off of the roller and b) the wind causing an item of tackle to blow onto three of his top kits causing breakages, nothing to do with a dodgy pole, I should imagine the map lads have fully put this pole through it’s paces to release a product untested and untried would be foolhardy to say the least and detrimental to Map if they did so, bad press can destroy a company. I have very confidence that the pole is up to the job and been tested to the limit by Map anglers such as Andy May in addition to all the science and technology that has gone into producing the 901, there is not a pole on this planet that has not had breakages in the hands of a clumsy oaf, which I dare say includes us all at times πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ :D, as for lack of supply, companies order a batch of poles if demand outstrips supply then Ok one can say you got your marketing wrong, however as a company it is better to under estimate your requirements than have a load of tackle you can’t sell, companies work on fine margins these days, those that didn’t went bust! Like all product in demand if you want it then most are prepared to wait, I dare say Mike is doing all he can to ensure production targets are upped and the product supply of this pole is met to fulfil customers needs as quickly as possible before customers wander off and buy other products, after all he is selling these poles at a profit.

TF_MarkT

Kida – The website has been down since before the 901 was even available.

Jeez, havent looked on here since i lasted posted. Yup i was fishing at 16 metres in a gale with 1 hand turned behind my back while doing a hand stand as i always tell lies. If you dont believe me, i dont really care.

Look, bakerboy. If you really want to try the 901, i’ll be fishing the match lake at larford next saturday. Come and have a go with it after the match if you want.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@James wilson wrote:

Jeez, havent looked on here since i lasted posted. Yup i was fishing at 16 metres in a gale with 1 hand turned behind my back while doing a hand stand as i always tell lies. If you dont believe me, i dont really care.

Look, bakerboy. If you really want to try the 901, i’ll be fishing the match lake at larford next saturday. Come and have a go with it after the match if you want.

James, what a great offer!

Sorry I can’t take it up as I will be doing my own thing.

Best wishes for the match!

Well, anytime your free and I’m fishing your welcome to come and go on the 901.

Can I try it and if i break it, you won’t hit me? :p

Nathan. Im sure theres someone closer to you who owns a 901.

Im not into using fists. Im far to pretty for that.

Try it for me then, bit of slapping at 17.5 and 19m, let ne know if it copes ok. I don’t know anyone near me with 1! You entering maver and fisho qualifiers?

Pmsl. Nathan i would never fish 19 metres.

Larford classic final, and will be trying to get in the uks again.

I’ll be doing some mmt’s but mainly local to me

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@paulnewell wrote:

Folks, I have decided to take paulnewell’s advice and go for the pole that has been angler tested for twelve months or more.

The MAP TKS 901 will not be fully ‘bank tested’ until the end of this year, with the winter to follow.

This means I would not be using it fully until the spring of 2015. I can’t wait that long!

I have decided to get the Trilogy Pro 2!

In my test, it proved in my opinion, to be better than the Diawa Airity and much cheaper too.

The other major selling points being, renowned for section reliability and being hand made in the dear old UK.

Our worker’s taxes help support the NHS etc, etc.

Sorry mike ! Better hope i got it right Backerboy there’s no hiding for me . Still confident that the best test is time etc etc . May your stonfo be forever stuck out !!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

TF_redarmy

you wont be dissapointed with the trilogy πŸ˜€

TF_gaz r

exellent pole mate you wont be dissapointed.

TF_Ripps 31

I know a bloke who likes them tricast poles… Says there the b*ll*cks

Saw Scotty Smith today who sold one last week . Fancies one himself . Very impressive . Right up and above the competitors . Need one for whiteacres silver festival :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TF_bagging machine
    Participant

You made the right choice IMO well done.

TF_paulD

I notice we didn’t get a reply about where the 901 is made ! which probably means China. I asked Browning at the show last year where the Z12 was made and they wouldn’t say apart from “definitely not China” All of them apart from Daiwa seen to want to keep it a secret.

From what ive heard an read about where poles are made –

Daiwa – UK (at the moment but in a foreign country call Scotland soon)
    Tricast – UK
    Maver – Reglass so Italy
    Preston – Reglass so Italy
    Trabucco – Reglass Italy
    Browning – not China so where ?
    Garbolino – France but moving to China
    Drennan – ??
    Shimano – Japan ??
    Colmic – Reglass again I think
    Middy – China

Anybody know more ?

Anonymous

@pauld wrote:

I notice we didn’t get a reply about where the 901 is made ! which probably means China. I asked Browning at the show last year where the Z12 was made and they wouldn’t say apart from “definitely not China” All of them apart from Daiwa seen to want to keep it a secret.

From what ive heard an read about where poles are made –

Daiwa – UK (at the moment but in a foreign country call Scotland soon)
    Tricast – UK
    Maver – Reglass so Italy
    Preston – Reglass so Italy
    Trabucco – Reglass Italy
    Browning – not China so where ?
    Garbolino – France but moving to China
    Drennan – ??
    Shimano – Japan ??
    Colmic – Reglass again I think
    Middy – China

Anybody know more ?

Why would anyone want to tell you where anything is made ? It’s their business not yours. It doesn’t matter who makes what where.

TF_scottyp

Why would a company that has worked extremely hard to try and gain a competative advantage then go and tell world how and where theyve achieved it.

Be like Ferrari going cap in hand to Red bull and asking them – please sir, can you tell me in absolute technical detail why your car is so much better than mine, pretty pretty please!!

TF_paulD

@richox12 wrote:

Why would anyone want to tell you where anything is made ? It’s their business not yours. It doesn’t matter who makes what where.

Almost everything you buy has “country of origin” on it nowdays. I think it must be EU law.
    Maver has “made in Italy” and Daiwa a Union Jack on their poles but probably to suggest quality. “Made in China” doesn’t have the same ring about it on something costing 3 grand.
    I’ve read that rich Chinese want to buy products with “made in Germany/UK/Europe” on it, not their own stuff – I wonder why?

I try and buy British frit n veg and other products as much as possible just to support our industry, so why not fishing tackle ?

TF_scottyp

@pauld wrote:

@richox12 wrote:

I’ve read that rich Chinese want to buy products with “made in Germany/UK/Europe” on it, not their own stuff – I wonder why?

Basic oneupmanship – why do well of people buy big houses, luxury cars, designer clothing, anything expensive???????????????? because they can, status symbols!

Scotty. Just stay on mfs, you no it makes sense.

Some preston poles are made by Lerc,different construction methods to reglass.
    some poles are also the same,just different graphics added for each company,been done for years.
    just buy what pole you are happy with,and forget about the hyped adverts.many of which are used year in,year out with just different pictures added as each new pole range comes out,or is rebadged.

I had a waggle of the MAP 901 today at the big one show.it was super stiff with incredible tip recovery on the strike,and although it felt heavy compared to a couple of others there,although last years 801 felt heavy as well.it was rock solid with good wall strength,and great balance at 16mts.and my personal pick as best pole on display.the garbolino super legion was also very good indeed.the maver signature 1000 flagship pole was not even close to either of them at any length.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@tidalwave1 wrote:

I had a waggle of the MAP 901 today at the big one show.it was super stiff with incredible tip recovery on the strike,and although it felt heavy compared to a couple of others there,although last years 801 felt heavy as well.it was rock solid with good wall strength,and great balance at 16mts.and my personal pick as best pole on display.the garbolino super legion was also very good indeed.the maver signature 1000 flagship pole was not even close to either of them at any length.

Did you try the Tri-cast Pro 2?

When I compared it with the MAP 801 and the Diawa Airity I found it to be far superior.

And believe it or not – IT IS MADE IN ROCHDALE ENGLAND!

Not Italy, France, China, Japan or god knows where.

Any major problems to sort and only a few hours drive away from anywhere in the country.

No mate,i did not compare it with the trilogy 2,but i have handled the airity before,and i think it is a superb pole as well.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

For thise who have come straight to this page, if you are interested, I have entered some weight/length facts on my first post.

so basically the tri-cast trilogy pro 2 and the airity are the same weight 1400 plus grams at full length – including the tri-cast’s half butt to make it 16m being a 15.7m basic pole?
    (by the way nothing against tri-cast i still own an older pole for silvers or daiwa).

Have noticed that all dhp tackeshop ads. including Fosters, Nathans, etc. have recently curiously omitted all mention of tri-cast- including the trilogy pro-2 from their own ads -with the only exception being a small tricast product box within ‘Fisherman’s Friend’ traditionally extensive several page ad.

TF_scottyp

Reference the original post – whats the science behind the ‘bounce point’ further down the pole, the stiffer it is????

TF_JohnH

I have come to the same conclusion re Tri Cast and DHP advertising.
    Shame.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@wightangler wrote:

so basically the tri-cast trilogy pro 2 and the airity are the same weight 1400 plus grams at full length – including the tri-cast’s half butt to make it 16m being a 15.7m basic pole?
    (by the way nothing against tri-cast i still own an older pole for silvers or daiwa).

Have noticed that all dhp tackeshop ads. including Fosters, Nathans, etc. have recently curiously omitted all mention of tri-cast- including the trilogy pro-2 from their own ads -with the only exception being a small tricast product box within ‘Fisherman’s Friend’ traditionally extensive several page ad.

1410grms @ sixteen and one half metres, not as you say sixteen metres.

Without sawing some off, I would take a guess at about 1340grms @ 16mtrs.

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@scottyp wrote:

Reference the original post – whats the science behind the ‘bounce point’ further down the pole, the stiffer it is????

Pretty obvious really!

The closer to hand where the pole ‘bounces’, the less stiff it is and the harder it is to handle.

If it was broom handle stiff, there would be no ‘bounce point anywhere along it’s length’.

TF_scottyp

@bakerboy wrote:

@scottyp wrote:

Pretty obvious really!

The closer to hand where the pole ‘bounces’, the less stiff it is and the harder it is to handle.

If it was broom handle stiff, there would be no ‘bounce point anywhere along it’s length’.

Struggling with that – recently had 901, 825, airity and the frenzee fxt next to each other at 16m with same set-ups (4’s and match kit etc) – all very stiff poles, all very different characteristics and the movement in the pole at different points up and down the pole – all down to the design of the sections – nowt to do with how stiff they are

TF_bakerboy
    Participant

@scottyp wrote:

@bakerboy wrote:

@scottyp wrote:

Pretty obvious really!

Struggling with that – recently had 901, 825, airity and the frenzee fxt next to each other at 16m with same set-ups (4’s and match kit etc) – all very stiff poles, all very different characteristics and the movement in the pole at different points up and down the pole – all down to the design of the sections – nowt to do with how stiff they are

You are wrong – it is to do with how stiff they are.

It is the design/material of the sections that makes a pole stiff or not.

The stiffer a pole is, obviously pushes the point where it goes up and down (the ‘bounce point’) closer to where the pole is designed to bend when a fish is caught.

The closer to the tip any pole bounces makes it a stiffer pole and quicker on the strike,

This happens because when striking the pole up to this point moves first and so the top sections are left slightly behind and have to catch up with this initial pole movement.

If the bounce point of a pole was only a couple of metres away from the butt end, most of the top end would slap on the water every time a strike was made.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.