Trewaters, Cornwall

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Trewaters, Cornwall

This topic contains 80 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #41632

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    The 13m pole limit has been scrapped at Trewaters for the Maver festival. Should make it interesting now that we will be able to reach over to the far slope with 16m pole, wind permitting! Whats your thoughts on the change of rules?

  • #115057

    Get rid of the 16M limit too and let people that can fish 20M do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #115058

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    More than likely will now that I have got rid of all my extra sections!

  • #115059

    TF_CHRIS.V.
    Participant

    Hello Stewart is that just for the Maver festival?? Does it include the Preston the following week??

  • #115061

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    Hi Chris, hope all is well with you. It is 16m for the Preston, I think it is a permanent change.

  • #115062

    TF_Rhino
    Member

    Meh, I preferred the 13m rule. Put a focus on rod and line skills and made it different. Stick yer extensions Nathan, lol. People will fish long pole and long line now.

  • #115063

    Anonymous

    I think its a move in the wrong direction for me although im not fishing the festivals this year. It simply means that the method on the pole or long lining to the island will be the best ways of bagging up on those lakes and does nothing for increasing the skill levels needed to compete on those pools.

    They might as well of made those pools 16 meters wide instead of the 19 meters wide that they where designed. The pole limit and width of those pools was supposed to be to promote other angling skills other than the long pole!

    If those pools are not good enough for the festival and the 13 meter pole limit. Why not use some of the other pools. Go to Morgan Porth or go back to Gwinnier now that its has been established again after its problems!

    Why not allow the floating pole and 20+ meter poles on the rest of the complex if where attempting to make the fishing easier. How about floating baits? Use to be great on the match lake in the rover matches!

  • #115067

    Don’t think a lot of people would agree that holding 20M + is easy! I much prefer to use a rod but on pegs that are 17 to 20M wide and others nearby are 16M, with a 16M limit it is very unfair.

  • #115069

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    I suppose Clint is in a no win situation here. Loads have been saying it should be 16m across the board and why was Trewaters diffrent. Others want the 13m pole to continue. Personally I still think the method will dominate but it is nice to have the option to fish a longer pole. I dont think the method on the pole is allowed in the main festivals.

    There are plenty of lakes at White Acres to promote running line skills. Polly, Trewlaney, Twin Oaks, Bolingey and Jennies all offer ample pegs to fish the running line in festival matches.

  • #115070

    Anonymous

    Nathan, holding 20 meters plus of pole is easy when you have 4 meters of pole behind you as well. The only extra skill is in being able to afford the extra sections and putting those sections together at the start.

    I agree over the distance to the fare bank on some pegs on some venues. However, the 13 meter limit on Trewaters seemed to work to promote other skills other than the long pole.

  • #115071

    Anonymous

    As fare as i can see from the rules. The method on the pole is not banned yet, Stewart. 16 meter pole and 3 meters of line. The method goes in the same spot every time. Deadly up against islands on many venues i can think of. Unless its banned. It will take some beating if the fish are there to be caught!

  • #115072

    @trueblue wrote:

    Nathan, holding 20 meters plus of pole is easy when you have 4 meters of pole behind you as well. The only extra skill is in being able to afford the extra sections and putting those sections together at the start.

    I agree over the distance to the fare bank on some pegs on some venues. However, the 13 meter limit on Trewaters seemed to work to promote other skills other than the long pole.

    I paid between £10 and £20 each for my extensions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #115073

    Anonymous

    Loads of skill in finding extensions for £10/£20. I wish i was as good as you, mate.

  • #115079

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    I have had a look through the rules and the method on the pole seems to be allowed. If that is the case I agree with you Trueblue, it will be unbeatable. It will take out a lot of the skill that comes with the thod, namely accurate casting.

    I seem to remember when the method was first allowed at White Acres somebody asked if they could use it on the pole and the answer was yes, as long as you also had a float attached. Since then I thought it was on the banned list. When the question was asked at this years Pairs festival we were told that we could not use it, but maybe we were not fishing to full festival rules on that match?

    I’m sure Kirsty will clarify this later today for us.

  • #115080

    I diasagree TrueBlue and think its levelled things out a bit.

    You go on about cost but 2 years ago I drew next to Allan Scothhorne at Trelawney and he long lined 20 mtrs using 13 mtrs of pole. Ok theres a special skill to that but when you can have various top 6’s set up (yes 6’s) and pulll 3 poles out of your holdall then that is a massive advantage.

    So tell me – what the difference between haiving that amount of kit and having lots of sections to shove up the end of your pole ?

    Oh and anyone thinking of fishing the method on the pole – don’t. You will be disqualified from the festival.

  • #115081

    Stewarts the reason it is banned is that you have to have a correctly shotted float. It’s a greyish area I know but basically the weight of the method counts as weight towards your float.

    Although its not listed as a ‘banned’ method, the current rules mean it is impossible to fish it.

  • #115083

    adam1
    Participant

    im not sure there is that many pegs you could reach the far bank with 16 meters on trewaters, although im sure stewart could correct me if im wrong. it seems that the wider pegs are better than the narrower ones for catching on the method (as at most vnues id have thought) so being able to reach with a pole on the narrower pegs may just mean you can compete with thse who are catching on the method? As for the method on the pole, i had that same understanding of it being an over shotted rig, unless you use a 30 gram float that is!
    whether we like the rules or not we ll all still fish to them and all ave a great week the same as every year

    personally i cant wait to get there!

    P.S stewart can you PM meyour number, got new phone and i ve lost some contacts. i hear your staying with gaz, big tom and frankie for the maver? another year as the D.O.P ?

    Adam

  • #115084

    Rule 5 below…………

    5. No floating the pole, the rattler, cupping water or taping the water. When fishing the pole you must use a pole rig with a correctly shotted float. The tip of your float must be a minimum of 8 inches from your connector or elastic. (NO OVER SHOTTING). The pole limit of 16 meters has been re-instated on all venues (Including Trewaters)

  • #115088

    in my opinion there should be a blanket 13m pole limit across the whole country.

    The best anglers would still win, but it would level the playing field regarding poles ( better for my back too!!!!lol) also might help the national team for the future.

    I cant fish 20 metres even if I could afford it, so I have to fish rod and line.

  • #115112

    Anonymous

    Snooty Fox, the method on the pole can be fished with a correctly shotted float if need be. I,ve often used a pollyball when i want something to look at when fishing the method on the pole to islands. The argument that you have to use a correctly shotted float is a none starter as its the method feeder rig anyway but a float can be used. There is nothing in the rules to suggest that you have to use a correctly shotted float when chucking a method feeder with rod and line. So, whats the difference?

    Yes, there is plenty of skill in long lining and im all for it. Long lining is another argument for keeping pole lengths at 13 meters and or promoting other fishing methods. Increasing the pole limit to 16 meters reduces the skill levels. Its match fishing so why would you want things leveling out?

  • #115114

    Steve – trust me you cannot fish the method on the pole. End of.

    My point regarding the 16 mtrs is as follows –

    its more of a leveller purley because not everyone can set up lots of top 6’s or top 7’s (if the 13 mtr rule remained).I would certainly only be able to set up 1 !! (as would a large majority of anglers fishing the festivals). On that day I drew next to Allan, I managed 3rd in section but tbh he won the section because of the kits he was able to set up and not just his skill at long lining 20 mtrs away with a 13 mtr pole !
    So, the advantage is clearly with the angler who can carry 2 duplicate poles or lots of spare no 6’s and 7’s. Its the same argument you had about Nathan being able to fish 20 mtrs cos he can afford the extra sections.

    You’ve contradicted yourself mate.

  • #115115

    TF_Dr.Phil
    Member

    I must admit that fishing greater than 16m quite clearly is an advantage to anglers in certain pegs . However the banks are not all favourable for shipping back 20 metres !
    But i must admit that 13 metre pole limit for everyone is a really good idea as most of main land europe is the same. But outside of England they are fishing much deeper rivers and canals usually and there is a greater need for top 5-6’s so the cost of a european package must be the same a English 16m package.

    A DEBATE THAT WILL ALWAYS GO ON , I SAY 16M, THATS YOUR LIMIT THEN ITS AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD.

    FURTHER QUESTION : WHY DONT THEY ALLOW PASTE FISHING IN THE FESTIVALS ?

  • #115117

    could they of changed the long lineing to a metre tops that would have stoped people haveing an advantage

  • #115118

    TF_baitchef
    Participant

    I don’t fish these waters but in my opinion the pole isn’t the bee all and end all, regardless of length. I recently broke my pole and its forced me to use a running line and so far out of 2 matches i have had a first and second. My point is that sometimes you need to think outside the box in order to compete and quite often, doing something completely different to the norm might get you the results.

  • #115119

    TF_Simon P
    Member

    Another question for you…..

    whats easier to fish:

    A) A method on a rod and line

    B) 16mtrs of pole with three metres of line attached and a method on the end.

    Answers on a postcard…. i know what i would prefer in the Cornish weather!!!!

  • #115124

    I would hate a nationionwide 13 metre limit. You often need a 14.5 – 16 metre pole on standard NW canals.

  • #115127

    @Dr.Phil wrote:

    [/b]WHY DONT THEY ALLOW PASTE FISHING IN THE FESTIVALS ?

    They do mate – in every one except the bait tech

  • #115129

    TF_Dr.Phil
    Member

    Snooty …..did’nt realise that mate , i used to fish all the festivals upto 2006 and i’m sure then it was’nt allowed. But i can see many things have changed like the use of a method feeder , be it inline ? , still with a 1′-3” tail ?
    The greater than 16m pole came into affect (at Whiteacres) in about 2004-2006 time , i believe ,can remember someone fishing 20 metre pole on peg23 on Match lake and winning

    …..can’t imagine a peg at Bolingey where you could ship back with that length , probably in the 30’s.

    In fact i would say there would be less than 20 % of pegs over the whole Whiteacres site where you could fish at 20 metres – if that was the case then i would say its 13 metres only because if someone has a peg to fish 20 metres to an island and the next peg cannot due to high bank behind or bushes and trees then that a clear mis-match and unfair – for example pegs 41 and 43 on match lake – which is best for 16 metres plus ?….43

  • #115130

    Hooklength for the method can be 4″ mate.

  • #115133

    talking of shipping back 20m at Bolingey, a couple of years ago, I drew 26 on Bolingey. 30lbish had been a good weight in recent matches, they all told me it used to be a good peg. I had just under 50lb, felt I did well, but made some mistakes. Will Raison was next to me (but in a different section), had 58lb, so I didn’t disgrace myself.

    a couple of days later Des Ship drew the peg, fished 19/20m to the island, weighed just over 100lb.
    Now I know Des is absolutely brilliant but if he had to fish 16m he wouldn’t have caught that.
    Similar thing to what Snooty was saying about Trewaters and Alan Scotthorne. Yes we will aways get beat, but it isn’t a level playing field

  • #115153

    andy85
    Participant

    im all for 16m limit at the end of the day it will catch everybody more fish and thats what fishing is all about isnt it? you should now see alot more of the bigger fish showing now u can present a bait in shallower water to the islands. stewart will back me up on this when i say the fish are wising up to the method we found this out on the pairs event when you catch a few then they back off wit the pole u can feed ur peg excatly how u want meaning more fish in the net

  • #115155

    @andy85 wrote:

    im all for 16m limit at the end of the day it will catch everybody more fish and thats what fishing is all about isnt it? you should now see alot more of the bigger fish showing now u can present a bait in shallower water to the islands. stewart will back me up on this when i say the fish are wising up to the method we found this out on the pairs event when you catch a few then they back off wit the pole u can feed ur peg excatly how u want meaning more fish in the net

    The island is 19M on Trewaters, not 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #115156

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    Personally I am looking forward to fishing with a 16m pole at Trewaters, wind permitting! I am pleased that this venue has been brought into line with all the other lakes at WA. Apart from the obvious thing of fishing over to the far side with a long line it will bring a whole new area to concentrate on. Hopefully will be able to reach the bottom of the far shelf which will be good both up and down.

    Adam1 you have a PM. Yep got the job of keeping them young pups in order at the Maver hopefully Tom hasn’t bought a new Mankini! At least I will have Gaz to help keep me sane!

  • #115160

    andy85
    Participant

    @nathanwatson wrote:

    @andy85 wrote:

    im all for 16m limit at the end of the day it will catch everybody more fish and thats what fishing is all about isnt it? you should now see alot more of the bigger fish showing now u can present a bait in shallower water to the islands. stewart will back me up on this when i say the fish are wising up to the method we found this out on the pairs event when you catch a few then they back off wit the pole u can feed ur peg excatly how u want meaning more fish in the net

    The island is 19M on Trewaters, not 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i didnt say tight to the islands i said shallower water to the islands meaning closer than 13m although pegs like 54 an the 1 oppisite you will be close to it, i probably worded it wrong what i meant was the shallower water whether thats 3 or 4ft deep know one really knows yet so dont try an be clever nathan

  • #115161

    andy85
    Participant

    @nathanwatson wrote:

    @andy85 wrote:

    im all for 16m limit at the end of the day it will catch everybody more fish and thats what fishing is all about isnt it? you should now see alot more of the bigger fish showing now u can present a bait in shallower water to the islands. stewart will back me up on this when i say the fish are wising up to the method we found this out on the pairs event when you catch a few then they back off wit the pole u can feed ur peg excatly how u want meaning more fish in the net

    The island is 19M on Trewaters, not 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i know that its 19m on alot of pegs but not everyone iv fished it a few times an i think u can reach on a few pegs or get very close to it wit 16m so therefore u will catch bigger fish, 49 an the peg oppisite 54, 37 i think it is would be reachable an havin 2 more sections to chase them out will make the fishing better allround, correct me if im wrong maybe i need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #115162

    @andy85 wrote:

    @nathanwatson wrote:

    @andy85 wrote:

    im all for 16m limit at the end of the day it will catch everybody more fish and thats what fishing is all about isnt it? you should now see alot more of the bigger fish showing now u can present a bait in shallower water to the islands. stewart will back me up on this when i say the fish are wising up to the method we found this out on the pairs event when you catch a few then they back off wit the pole u can feed ur peg excatly how u want meaning more fish in the net

    The island is 19M on Trewaters, not 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i know that its 19m on alot of pegs but not everyone iv fished it a few times an i think u can reach on a few pegs or get very close to it wit 16m so therefore u will catch bigger fish, 49 an the peg oppisite 54, 37 i think it is would be reachable an havin 2 more sections to chase them out will make the fishing better allround, correct me if im wrong maybe i need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Your wrong!

  • #115163

    pelletking
    Member

    The island is 19M on Trewaters, not 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

    i know that its 19m on alot of pegs but not everyone iv fished it a few times an i think u can reach on a few pegs or get very close to it wit 16m so therefore u will catch bigger fish, 49 an the peg oppisite 54, 37 i think it is would be reachable an havin 2 more sections to chase them out will make the fishing better allround, correct me if im wrong maybe i need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

    Your wrong![/quote]

    lol go on then how wide is peg 37?

  • #115164

    andy85
    Participant

    i know that its 19m on alot of pegs but not everyone iv fished it a few times an i think u can reach on a few pegs or get very close to it wit 16m so therefore u will catch bigger fish, 49 an the peg oppisite 54, 37 i think it is would be reachable an havin 2 more sections to chase them out will make the fishing better allround, correct me if im wrong maybe i need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

    Your wrong![/quote]

    haha well how wide are they then?

  • #115165

    Dunno, 18 to 20 I reckon! Supposed to be all 19 ish! Daft, shouldn’t be any limits! Just make the lakes bigger like 60M to island or middle and wouldn’t be a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And if some pegs were/are 16M or just over it would make the 16M limit even more unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t understand people!!??~think

  • #115166

    andy85
    Participant

    @nathanwatson wrote:

    Dunno, 18 to 20 I reckon! Supposed to be all 19 ish! Daft, shouldn’t be any limits! Just make the lakes bigger like 60M to island or middle and wouldn’t be a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

    49 defo isnt 18m i drew it in the dynamites and if i could of put 16 plus ur dolly butt on which is a true 16 metres i would of been very close, we will soon find out anyway on the festivals, i agree they should of been 14m or 35m wide that way u had no inbetween but when clint dug them i think he wanted ppl to fish the rod an line not just pole only but it can only help us catch more fish now by allowing us too use 16m

  • #115167

    andy85
    Participant

    it prob will make it unfair but if you draw it you will be laughing its only the same as pegs 1 18 21 an 32 on trelawney

  • #115169

    Anonymous

    The method on the pole might be banned at W/A, Snooty Fox. However, its not stated as being banned in the rules and should be clarified if it is banned. However, there is no good argument for it being banned as its only the method and that is allowed. So, its the same rig as with rod and reel but on the pole. If you want to suggest that there has to be a fully shotted float as part of the rig because its part of a pole set-up. Then as i have explained. You can add a fully shotted float to the rig and it still stays within the rules.

    I dont see your argument over extra to kits for long lining. If you need to long line. Put a different rig on your top kit. It only takes 30 seconds, mate!

    Im at W/As in 2 week. I will ask about it and see what Clint has to say. Seems stupid to start banning things again unless it is seen as a way of fishing that takes some of the skill out of fishing other methods. However, going back to a 16 meter limit seems to do the same thing when compared to the old 13 meter limit.

  • #115170

    Anonymous

    NWCA, we caught plenty of fish on our canals in the days before long poles, mate! The long pole improved section weights overall but match weights on our North West canals never went up as a result of the long pole. A lot of angling skills have almost been lost because of the long pole!

  • #115171

    @trueblue wrote:

    NWCA, we caught plenty of fish on our canals in the days before long poles, mate! The long pole improved section weights overall but match weights on our North West canals never went up as a result of the long pole. A lot of angling skills have almost been lost because of the long pole!

    TB, I too caught plenty on my canal rod but I like many had to sit it out for long periods deliberately targetting proper stamp fish. Give me the pole any time over those days whereby I can be active and feed / fish multiple swims with more ease and enjoy a more exciting productive day.

  • #115173

    Anonymous

    Point i as trying to make NWCA, was that those who fished before the early 1980s could put a waggler tight to the fare bank of a canal and could catch plenty of fish. Those anglers could do things with a waggler/bomb that most anglers today can only dream about. It really did split the men from the boys in those days unless you where on THE winning peg. Along came the long pole and everybody was a superstar if you drew a good peg and one rig did all. Also, those anglers who had more sections for there poles than the anglers around them gained a big advantage. It was not so much about angling skills. It was about who could afford the best or longest pole. It really is a leveler now because everybody has a good 16 meter pole and most of our canals are less than 16 meters wide. However, the better anglers do win more often as a rule!

    That 13 meter pole limit on a 19 meter wide commercial venue promoted other methods, skills or different stiles of angling. That to me was good. It suits the thinking/skillful anglers best in my honest opinion. In match fishing at the top level that has to be good for match angling! For those with less ability or angling skills. Its time to learn those skills or stay as pools fodder. Its not like they where not catching some fish on these commercial venues we fish today!

  • #115179

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    I emailed Kirsty yesterday to ask for some clarification on whether the method is allowed on the pole or not,(Understand what you are saying Snootyfox but thought it would be better from WA, saves any conjecture) guess she must be off for a couple of days as she is normally quick with replies.

  • #115187

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    Kirsty has got back to me saying that a decision will be made on Monday re the use of method on the pole. Just noticed that there are only 18 pegs at Trewaters the rest of the section is at Trewlaney so the fishing should be really good!

  • #115193

    TF_S.knowles
    Member

    Where will the other section be then stuart if its pollawyn, bollingey, porth, trewaters / trewlaney???
    Was expecting it to be twin oaks / trewlaney as usual but obviously things are a bit different this time round.

  • #115194

    TF_Admin Girl
    Participant

    Steve, the other section is Jennys. You should get all the info through the post but i’ll email it today for you.

    As for method on the pole we will be clarifing this on Monday

    Cheers, Kirsty

  • #115196

    Why no Twin Oaks???????

  • #115198

    Tell your bosses all the anglers reckon you need a deserved pay rise Kirsty

  • #115199

    She’d only waste it on booze!

  • #115205

    TF_Admin Girl
    Participant

    Thanks for that Nathan.

    We are not using Twin Oaks for the Maver as September is rammed with groups of anglers so it would have been used loads in our weekly residents matches, wanted to give it a bit of a break before we use it for Preston Festival and then Winners Week.

  • #115208

    Ok, thanks Kirsty, I’ll buy you a drink if I win!

  • #115249

    TF_bagging machine
    Participant

    I always said you and Kirsty would make a lovely couple, dont for one miniute believe you would buy anybody a drink not unless you have alterior motives?~naughty

  • #115262

    TF_Rhino
    Member

    Please don’t allow the method on the pole Kirsty – nasty way to fish, people should learn how to cast, lol!! Nowt wrong with 13m limit imo….

  • #115267

    @bagging machine wrote:

    I always said you and Kirsty would make a lovely couple, dont for one miniute believe you would buy anybody a drink not unless you have alterior motives?~naughty

    I want an easy section!

  • #115520

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    Just heard from White Acres the method on the pole will NOT be allowed at the festivals.

  • #115527

    Anonymous

    Im not surprised but would be interested to know the official reason why its been banned?

  • #115590

    BBR1
    Participant

    Because they know your coming Steve ~shh

  • #115593

    @trueblue wrote:

    Im not surprised but would be interested to know the official reason why its been banned?

    because it contravenes the rules (sigh).

  • #115606

    Anonymous

    Snooty Fox, rules are created by fishery owners/managers for there own reasons and can be good of the fish, the anglers or even for individual events. They are not set in stone or universal and can change(sigh)!

    The method feeder(free running) and paste where not allowed at W/As until only a few years ago. This method/bait both contravened the rules. They are allowed now(sigh)!

    I asked for the reason why the method feeder on the pole now contravenes the rules. Its not a difficult question to answer(sigh)!

    It will have been thought though by Clint and maybe a few others connected to the fishery/the festivals or those connected to the matches at Trewaters. So, there is an answer to my question, Snooty Fox(sighs again)!

    Stewart, was there any indication as to if the method on the pole will also be banned for the residents matches on the other lakes at W/As?

  • #115608

    Maybe I do not understand but why if you allow a method feeder with rod and reel would you ban it when used with a pole?

  • #115609

    Trueblue – I am familiar with recent rule changes at Whiteacres as I have fished festivals every year for the last 4 years. However, thank you for your usual ‘educational’ comments.

  • #115611

    Anonymous

    Snooty Fox, Stewart and W/As cleared up that the method on the pole is banned for the festivals. Please try to keep up with developments and add-on questions connected with this thread.

    Just for you, Snooty Fox. As you know everything re W/As rules. Why has the method on the pole been banned? How does it contravene the rules for the festivals and or any of the other residents matches? Is the method on the pole just banned in matches and allowed for pleasure fishing?

    Please dont come up with the same stupid argument that you did in an earlier post in this thread. Its a feeder rig fished on the pole. So, there is generally no need for a float to be needed. However, a fully shotted float can be added as part of the rig for use with the method on the pole!

  • #115612

    TF_Stewart
    Member

    The answer from White Acres was that after discussions it was decided not to allow the method on the pole. No mention to other matches, just the festival. However, I mentioned earlier that it was not allowed on the Preston Pairs held at Trewaters and Twin Oaks. I believe that festival is fished in conjunction with the match rules which are slightly diffrent from festival rules.

  • #115637

    andy85
    Participant

    steve when i was fishing a monday gold match (last year i think it was might of been this year cant remember i go that much lol) it was allowed but during one match on acorn the guy on peg 9 was fishing the thod on the pole while it was windy an dipping his tip slighty in the water. he ended up winning the section by about 2oz an coz the guy on peg 11 was gutted he tried sayin he was floating the pole whilst fishing it. clint ended up phoning me straight sfter the match coz i was on peg 5 but i couldnt see the end of his pole therefore it was his word against his basically so come thurs rover it was not allowed. i think this was one of the main reasons maybe even the reason why its now not allowed. he also said he had no indicator on then he said he did blah blah blah you no what its like. why would anyone wanna fish it anyway its a donkey method, deadly in the right conditions i know but id much rather ppl be forced to chuck a rod 🙂

  • #115640

    Anonymous

    Thanks, Andy. That sounds about right as the real reason for the ban. They should have banned lowering the pole into the water instead. That would stop the pole tappers with that potential new rule!

    In my experience. Most bans are created because of complaints from other anglers who have just been beaten by someone doing something different/better based on the peg or conditions. Or, because they dont fancy doing something similar, themselves!

    There is also a belief by some anglers that if its not traditional baits and methods. Then, its not really fishing and everything else should be banned. Normally, caster and worm anglers, lol

    I agree that it is a donkey method. Thats why i,ve used it, lol. However, used in the right conditions/circumstances its deadly as you know. For me, the skill is in using it at the right times and there is more than one way of using it. It can solve a lot of problems in some circumstances.

    Good luck in the festivals, mate. Its about time you won one!

  • #115815

    TF_orexina
    Member

    I’ve been interested in these posts as I’m down there next week. Although the method is banned what about an ordinary feeder?? Is this not allowed either. I’m only interested as you can ban something but allow something similar which then makes a mockery of the first ban.

  • #115816

    Any form of pole feeder or ledgering is banned and has been for a long time! Must use a correctly shotted float!

  • #115827

    @nathanwatson wrote:

    Any form of pole feeder or ledgering is banned and has been for a long time! Must use a correctly shotted float!

    Thank you Nathan – I said that earlier but people had selective reading problems (sigh)

  • #115925

    Anonymous

    Problem with this argument for banning the method/feeder on the pole is that you can use a fully shotted float as part of the rig. I have already highlighted how. Simply, request that a fully shotted float is used as part of the set up! No need for it to be banned!

  • #115929

    TF_Honest
    Member

    @trueblue wrote:

    Problem with this argument for banning the method/feeder on the pole is that you can use a fully shotted float as part of the rig. I have already highlighted how. Simply, request that a fully shotted float is used as part of the set up! No need for it to be banned!

    TB

    You cannot have a float under shotted or over shotted in festivals, all rigs must be correctly shotted, too prevent the “bolt rigging effect”

    Q: So how on earth does a 30gram method feeder on the end NOT constitute over shotting or “bolt rigging” even with a float attached.

    If you ever go to WA and wanted to risk elimination from a festival by “bastardizing” the rules then feel free pal.

  • #115933

    Anonymous

    Honest, a correctly shotted/fully shotted float is a correctly shotted/fully shotted float, mate. No rules being broken there!

    Who is suggesting using a 30gram feeder?

    The method on the pole is no more a bolt rig than any other method used at W/As in the festivals or residents matches. In fact, its less of a bolt rig than using the feeder or bomb on the rod or fishing with a tight line to a normal float rig on the pole(especially for up in the water).

    As long as the feeder is free running and there is 8 inches of line above a correctly shotted float. Then, it stays within the rules for matches a W/As.

    Whether it should be banned for other reasons is a different argument.

  • #115937

    Nathan & Honest – just give up lads.

    If someone can’t understand what a correctly shotted float is……………

  • #115939

    TF_Honest
    Member

    Ok I give up…..and bow to the orical

  • #115940

    Anonymous

    Do you remember writing this on MFS, Snooty Fox?

    Right, heres my take on this………

    I position my cable tie on the no.3 just below where it joins the no.2 as I have found this perfect when fishing the method on the pole.
    I then tie my line to the end of the elastic and then cut the line about 12″ below the cable tie.
    ALWAYS use an in line method feeder as an elasticated feeder gives you a ‘double elastic’ effect means that you will lose fish. The main disadvantage of this of course is that you cannot have feeders ready and you need to reload every time you have a fish.
    Before you start, tie a bomb on the end of the line and ship using the cable tie (remembering where your back elbow is using the graphics of your pole). You may need to to this 2 or 3 times until you have the distance correct, but when you have put some insulating tape where your back elbow is on the pole when you release from the cable tie. This will allow you to drop the feeder in the desired place every time. If you intend to target 2 areas then repeat the process in the other swim and put some more tape on.
    By doing this with the tape, there is no need to pull tight against the method once you have swung it in as the line will be tight enough anyway but with enough ‘slack’ so that any movement of the pole whilst waiting for a bite will not move the method feeder.
    Shiiping out is easy – just put the line over the cable tie so the method is hanging, ship out until your back elbow reaches the tape on your pole, lift pole in the air about 4ft off the water, twist pole to release method and drop your pole tip to the top of the water whilst the method feeder is swinging into position.
    No need for blobs or the like – a bite will be the elstic ripping out of the pole. DO NOT STRIKE IF YOU GET A TAP ON THE POLE – WAIT.
    Bait wise, I have always found groundbait and dead maggot superior where there are not many silvers present. Otherwise I would still use groundbait but with a hair rigged banded 6mm or 8mm pellet.
    Do not worry about losing fish and the method smashing into your pole – it has never happened to me. Just keep your pole low whilst shipping back and only lift in the air once you are down to your top 2 and ready to land the fish. If you think about it, you only lose fish on your top 2 by bullying them when using conventional float methods.
    I use a small PI (15gm) inline method feeder which creates a light ‘plop’ and gives just enough disturbance to curious fish without disturbing the fish already there.

    Thats what I do anyway and I catch a few doing it with no problems 😉

    So, Snooty Fox, you seems to recognize that a blob can be used as a float with the method on the pole. You state that there is no need in your opinion. Blobs are allowed at W/As as floats. So, i believe using a blob as part of the rig would make the rig potentially legal at W/As. However, any float can be shotted correctly and used as part of the rig.

  • #115952

    Steve,

    I understand what you are saying, BUT………

    The method counts as weight towards the floats shotting capacity. That is what Nathan, Honest and I are trying to explain.

    BTW – method on the pole is deadly on its day and if I could use it at W/A I would.

    To me (and to others) it is ‘twisting’ the rules.

    Thats my take on it anyway……..

    For info – I never use a blob – no need.

  • #115956

    Anonymous

    Sorry, mate but i believe your wrong over your argument that the feeder counts as part of the floats shotting capacity. Reason for this belief is that having extra shot on your rig is allowed but the float needs to be able to be fished at full depth without needing to be held up by the pole. The float needs to be able to sit correctly in the water unaided in effect to be legal. However, you can have extra shot on the deck if you wish. Most angler do this in difficult windy conditions and in particular when there is very bad undertow and we are attempting to slow down or keep the rig/hook bait still. The weight in a method feeder or cage feeder or even a bomb is the same as having extra shot layed on the deck. The float is able to sit on the surface correctly without the need to be held up by the pole. So totally legal.

    There is a rig/set-up which is banned on many venues that without going into detail includes using an over shotted float to aid catching fish on the drop. Something similar to fishing with the floating pole in many ways. The float has nothing to do with that rig and the float will sinks if not held out of the water by the pole!

  • #115957

    yeh – fully aware of the shallow bolt rig.

    I still think that fishing the method with a correctly shotted float is twisting the rules. Effectively you are affixing a float with the relevant shot just to enabale you to fish in a way that doesn’t need a float (if that makes sense).

    Lets agree to disagree (again lol).

  • #115958

    Anonymous

    Do we need a float on any pole rig? Not based on your argument, mate! The elastic will eventually get pulled out of the pole or the bait will be rejected or pinched from the hook without indications of a bite!

    Its ok to agree to disagree. This is not an argument. Just a discussion on a forum and not life and death, mate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.