Up in the Water Elastics?

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing Up in the Water Elastics?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TF_gaz r 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

TF_Paddy

This week i aim to strip-out some old elastics and bungs, with a view to adding puller bungs and elastics for banded pellet up in the water fishing – when it gets warmer!
    I fish all year round, but not pole fishing on pools for carp, so new things come and go quickly i find.
    What is the current thought on elastics for this method? The size of fish in the venue that i fish vary greatly from 1lb up to say 12lb, but there are lots of fish in the 4lb bracket.
    Plus, when setting up these top kits, do you think it better to have the elastic set very soft, soft, or medium to tight?
    Which manufacturers elastics are currently in vogue and what size/colour/rating do you use, or think is best?

TF_sillysod

White hydro

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Grey hydro for me, the hydro are brilliant but whites far too soft Ive found you end up winding all your fish in on your pullakit and this significantly reduces the life of the elastic in my opinion, get some nice grey hydro set nice and soft so it just creeps back into the pole.

TF_Rhino

White hydro unless consistently bagging lumps. Still lasts around a year, which is fine imo.

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

Chris I need several years out of elastic lol

TF_rb211

Mossella J Range half the price of Hydro and just as good and will last you for ages

Mosella J range is good , but the new Mosella Ozone range is better , the pink 10-14 is lovely and smooth , powers up nice and gentle 🙂

TF_Coxy

first can i say that this is a great question but also it with so many fishing questions is about what you are comfortable with.

I fish shallow a lot. for F1’s and fish to 5lbs i use white hydro. above that grey hydro all on pullers and pullers are what it is all about, you can fish as light as you like as long as you use a puller. Its good to remember that carp can pull back just as hard as you pull them and ive found that it is often better to use a lighter elastic than a stronger one.

Preston 11h is also very good.

TF_Paddy

Mmmmmmm…… there’s a few mentioned there, whilst i do like the analogy of Hydro against J range elastics being cheaper. After all, if we can have the same quality in a product, why not pay half or less in price? I am off to the tackle shop tomorrow dinner, so i will have a look a the J range.
    White Hydro i know a bit about anyway, as i have it in some top kits, but without pullers.
    Coxy – thanks for the answer – what you put down was good info and will play a part in my decision making mate, cheers.
    As a side point – can i ask about rigs and hooks as well? The carp in the water i mention previously are really receptive to up in the water, and i think i can better the return on fish landed if i get this right on the set up – thanks for all the answers from all so far.

TF_Paddy

Hydro 5 – J Range 2.

TF_baitchef
    Participant

Original black hydro and preston 17h are popular down here.

This might seem heavy but they are initially quite soft and providing you don’t pull back and just let the elastic do the job they are fine.

Im not sure what strain of carp your fishing for but the fish at my local fight like they are on steroids and any around or above 4lb will see you off on lighter elastics. 😀

In my opinion its more to do with technique than it is strength, but you do need an element of control otherwise they will run you all over the place.

TF_baitchef
    Participant

Unless of course…you want to become an almost run 😀

TF_Paddy

I suppose i should have said that i have done this method before, its just that i want to take a more measured approach to it this year, by way of thinking about the set up.
    Baitchef – I stopped competition fishing a couple of years ago (do a bit now and again) after major spine surgery, so being an also ran don’t bother me in the slightest.
    I still fish very much in the competition way i suppose, but i don’t have the pressure of the match circuit, or a team which i have learnt to really love if i’m honest.
    I can go where i want, when i want and that means a lot to me nowadays.
    I also gave up being the chairman of a fairly large club – best move i ever did!
    Anyway, i digress – I think most of us want to land every fish we hook and i have found that i bumped fish previously, but i know that it was down to the set up in a big way.
    It’s this that i want to get correct, whilst the strain of fish are stock reared common and mirror carp, complete with a head of big old King Carp. The venue has depth and is 5 acres, so there are plenty of places for the these fish to run to and they fight hard.
    I have looked at the J Range today and i have got the pink elastic and got Grey Hydro as well – i’m going to set both up and take it from there.

TF_shep2

probably the best shallow angler in the country told me to use grey hydro think he MAY still be using it himself :rolleyes:

TF_baitchef
    Participant

Fair play, as was said earlier elastics are a personal choice. You will probably get far more pleasure from the softer grades. 🙂

Im a bit of a stick in the mud, I dont even use pull bungs 😀

TF_Paddy

he he – I am deffo going to use pulla bungs – see this as a big advantage tbh, just to get a bit more control of the hard fighting fish.
    Sites going down in a moment, so i’m off to watch a bit of telly – cheers for all the advice on this subject, been really helpful. 🙂

TF_Slider

white and Grey Hydro are far too soft for carp averaging 4lb in summer, seem that people just want to follow what Will Raison does, bear in mind though that he gets his elastic for free.

Something like Black Hydro or 15h is perfect for that type of fishing and generally you will be able to land fish without the use of a puller. The puller comes in handy for the mental ones or the odd lump.

If you prefer solids then the Preston original slip in 14 is ok but you will destroy is very quickly if you catch a few.

TF_Anthonywaters
    Participant

@slider wrote:

white and Grey Hydro are far too soft for carp averaging 4lb in summer, seem that people just want to follow what Will Raison does, bear in mind though that he gets his elastic for free.

Something like Black Hydro or 15h is perfect for that type of fishing and generally you will be able to land fish without the use of a puller. The puller comes in handy for the mental ones or the odd lump.

If you prefer solids then the Preston original slip in 14 is ok but you will destroy is very quickly if you catch a few.

I get away with grey but as said earlier with white you seem to have to wind every fish in and then its done in no time.

TF_Paddy

mmmm, that makes it a bit more interesting then, because the J range just looks that much better. The thought of a 12lb manic carp thrashing around on white Hydro seems all a bit under gunned to be honest, but i was not going to say this as i have not done it. Nor with puller bungs. The J range just looks like its going to be more Up For It, if you know what i mean.

TF_gaz r

the green j range is brill for shallow fishing, used it all last summer with a pulla for fish upto mid doubles with no probs, it also lasts well another bonus.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.