hair rigging worm on the pole whats your opinions ?

Home Forums Fishing Coarse And Match Fishing hair rigging worm on the pole whats your opinions ?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

TF_Anthonywaters
      Participant

I’ve tried it using a PR 36 with an inch hair on a korum quick stop, my experience, yes it nails fish I never lost a fish but what a pain it is getting the worm residue off the hair after catching a fish and I found myself replacing the hook length every second fish due to crinkled hair etc.I’m not totally sold out on this method I would appreciate a few pointers am I going wrong somewhere ? The only viability I would give this method is on the straight lead somewhere where every fish counts or looking for bonus fish big chub on the canal etc

Anonymous

Not sure there is any point to hair rigging worm on pole rigs.

TF_Anthonywaters
      Participant

Steve – Mr Scotthorne did an article about it saying it gives a very good hook hold and it does every fish is nailed sometimes half a dendra on a hook can cause missed bites, Alans article was f1 fishing you know how finicky they can be !

TF_badger
      Participant

Ant, I’m thinking like TB why complicate a relatively uncomplicated method ?

Ant change the hair to one of braid sorted. Just the hair, still use mono as the main line.

Ive been hair rigging a small worm section for a couple of years when fishing shallow , you can usually catch a few fish on each section before you need to replace it .

and i was doing it before mr scothornes feature , so were most of my mates 😉

I was actually the first lad to win a match which was featured in the press using hair rigged chopped worm, I then went on to do a full two page centre spread feature in the depths of winter to show the effectiveness of the method at willow park explaining the method in full catching around 50lb of slabs on a peg that was fished the previous day with blood and joker and weighed in ounces in a big match the feature was in southern angler as Geep’s who was editor can vouch for, the thing that made me smile at 1.0pm I was given the choice to move pegs when we found out what was caught off of the peg the previous day, I decided to sit it out and the fish arrived at 1.45pm, the words of Steve Martin the roving reporter still ring in my ears “No fish No feature” and of course we have to be off by 3pm to miss the traffic, I smile now as slab after slab graced the net however it seems since those early days it seems to me that everyone and his brother have claimed credit for hair rigging worms be it on a feeder rig or a pole rig however credit has surely be given to the man who invented the quick stop in the first place. As far as the method being explained I was the first . Still have that copy of Southern Angler tucked away as a keepsake.

TF_Anthonywaters
      Participant

Thanks for the replies some interesting debate coming out, I reckon its got potential one chap mentions catching a few fish on one segment that’s what I was aiming for but when I tried it I kept damaging the hair then I caught a bloody eel ! The method nails fish for sure you can really strike into them and play them
      with confidence but the way ive been doing it its high maintainance

TF_Anthonywaters
      Participant

@Fred Davis wrote:

I was actually the first lad to win a match which was featured in the press using hair rigged chopped worm, I then went on to do a full two page centre spread feature in the depths of winter to show the effectiveness of the method at willow park explaining the method in full catching around 50lb of slabs on a peg that was fished the previous day with blood and joker and weighed in ounces in a big match the feature was in southern angler as Geep’s who was editor can vouch for, the thing that made me smile at 1.0pm I was given the choice to move pegs when we found out what was caught off of the peg the previous day, I decided to sit it out and the fish arrived at 1.45pm, the words of Steve Martin the roving reporter still ring in my ears “No fish No feature” and of course we have to be off by 3pm to miss the traffic, I smile now as slab after slab graced the net however it seems since those early days it seems to me that everyone and his brother have claimed credit for hair rigging worms be it on a feeder rig or a pole rig however credit has surely be given to the man who invented the quick stop in the first place. As far as the method being explained I was the first . Still have that copy

of Southern Angler tucked away as a keepsake.

Good reading .Ant

I remember reading Fred’s article and thinking how parallel thought processes can be at times and who get’s the public credit for thinking it up first.

Needless to say, this method was being used for a long time before it got any mention in any angling paper. Many people still dismiss it as not worth doing on the pole rig, but those that have perfected it know different. Personally I dont use the korum stops preferring to use a pellet band instead. It means removing bits of worm is not an issue and if I want to change to hard pellet I can straight away. Leaving the rubber band pulled through the worm does not put the fish off, neither does it if you drill out a boillie and pull it through.

For suck and blow fish like bream and carp and barbel it’s a doddle to use together with a double bulk setup short hook length you register bites much sooner. As for the hair itself just leave the band in a loop don’t tie it on like the bait stops.

TF_Anthonywaters
      Participant

@Cutnut wrote:

I remember reading Fred’s article and thinking how parallel thought processes can be at times and who get’s the public credit for thinking it up first.

Needless to say, this method was being used for a long time before it got any mention in any angling paper. Many people still dismiss it as not worth doing on the pole rig, but those that have perfected it know different. Personally I dont use the korum stops preferring to use a pellet band instead. It means removing bits of worm is not an issue and if I want to change to hard pellet I can straight away. Leaving the rubber band pulled through the worm does not put the fish off, neither does it if you drill out a boillie and pull it through.

For suck and blow fish like bream and carp and barbel it’s a doddle to use together with a double bulk setup short hook length you register bites much sooner. As for the hair itself just leave the band in a loop don’t tie it on like the bait stops.

That’s a good idea a pellet band uum…I take it your only hair rigging a small amount of the worm too judging by your comment that you can change to a pellet? I know this method has been around a while I spoke to a lad who fished hair rigged worm on the tip on porth several years ago when its rock hard and you need every bite

Another thing to try Ant when using mono is to have a much longer hair than you would traditionally have using say pellet corn boilees etc. with worm you can thread that quickstop right down the centre of the worm having a much longer hair causes it to kink less, as for getting excess worm off the hair scissors down the centre of the worm and snip lol

Nope Ant you can hair rig whole worms, I usually push the baiting needle in from behind the worms saddle and out just above it, I will also half nip the head so it dangles down and the wriggling end will then cause the worm blood and juices to flow. 😉

Anonymous

Been thinking hard about this and read whats been posted here. I still cannot see why there is any advantage in using a hair rig when using worm on the pole. Sure it will work in putting a few fish in the net but its unlikely from what i can see that it would put more fish in the net than a standard pole rig when using worm on the hook. If the worm goes in the fishes mouth then the fish gets hooked if you lift the pole. Missed bites are either small fish that never got the worm plus hook in its mouth or line bites. No issues over the worm coming off on the cast as we are talking about pole rigs being layed in to the water. There should be no issue over the point of the hook being hidden if the worm is hooked correctly. Almost no issue over the hook spooking fish as the hook is almost hidden. Almost no issue over the worm coming off on the strike. You can normally catch several fish on a single piece of worm with a standard pole rig if you want. I can see the argument for using a hair rig with the feeder, bomb or waggler because of worries that the wom might be ripped off on the cast. I can also see an advantage if you want to sit on your hands and ignore touches from very small silver fish while waiting for a proper pull around on the tip. However, if a small fish attacks a worm. The float normally goes under and we lift the pole. You miss the bite unless the small fish has the worm and hook in its gob. So, no advantage. If your hoping to give the fish more of a chance to eat the worm before the bite is registered by the float going under. Simply fishing over depth will give the fish more time before registering the bite.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.