Twenty five young anglers took part in the 2012 England Youth National held at Pitsford Water on Monday 4th June. Conditions were good with a light easterly breeze giving the water a slight ripple, perfect for buzzer fishing.
Six boats started in the ‘small half’ close to the boat pontoon and it was Fen Oakley who was into the fish quickly netting four in quick succession. But young Calum Smalley stole the show. Fishing with former England Youth team captain Ryan Worker as boatman, Calum motored to Pitsford Creek to take his eight fish limit by 13.40. Using floating and Midge Tip lines he fished Buzzers and Diawl Bachs for a winning bag of 24lb 10oz (including time bonus) and that was the only bag limit of the day. Fen Oakley struggled after his early start and finished the day with six fish for 19lb 2oz. Robbie Turner took third place with four fish for 13lb 8oz. The biggest fish was a 5lb 10oz Rainbow caught by Adam Worker.
Out of the 10 qualifiers, there are 6 new young anglers who will be receiving their first International Cap. Out of the remaining 4 anglers, Fen Oakley, Oliver Avis and Jack Shelley will be receiving their 3rd Cap and Adam Worker will be one of very few who will receive the maximum of 5 International Youth Caps.
The top ten finishers go through to the 2013 England Youth Team to fish in Wales in the Home International. There are 4 more places yet to be selected after this years Home International in Ireland.
All the official photo’s are available to buy from http://www.fishypics.co.uk/gallery_506694.html
1. Calum Smalley 8 fish for 24lb 10oz
2. Fen Oakley 6 fish for 19lb 2oz
3. Robbie Turner 4 fish for 13lb 8oz
4. Adam Worker 4 fish for 12lb 5oz biggest fish 5lb 10oz
5. Alex Waddington 5 fish for 11lb 9oz
6. Jack Shelley 4 fish for 10lb 11oz
7. Graham Hayward 4 fish for 10lb 10oz
8. Simon Bosher 4 fish for 9lb 10oz
9. Thomas Adamson 3 fish for 7lb 9oz
10. Oliver Avis 3 fish for 6lb 9oz
11. William Robbins 2 fish for 6lb 3oz
12. Joe Greenhough 3 fish for 5lb 15oz
13. Nick Hamilton 2 fish for 5lb 4oz
14. Conor Metcalfe 2 fish for 5lb 0oz
15. Conor Clarke 2 fish for 3lb 15oz
16. Jack Darlow 1 fish for 3lb 9oz
17. Jack Hardy 1 fish for 2lb 11oz
18. Freddie Kent 1 fish for 2lb 6oz
19. Daniel Tranter 1 fish for 2lb 2oz
20. Toff Crowther 1 fish for 2lb 2oz
21. Thomas McKimm 1 fish for 2lb
The England Youth Fly Fishing Association is now part of the Angling Trust’s competitions structure and operates under the name ‘Team England Youth Fly Fishing’. They would like to thank everyone who entered and all those who helped out and supported the event.
Congratulations to the qualifiers and commiserations to those who did not qualify, if anyone was unsuccessful please try again next year, as we look forward to seeing more youngsters take part in the sport.